LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 210 users in the forums

Trenton Robinson is a 49er

Shop Find 49ers gear online
if and I IF he can put on another 10-15 lbs he is gonna be scary good.... he will become a very good tackler on this team P willy and J smith won't take anything less... Trenton could be one of those late rounder that turn out to be very good pros.. great pick
Originally posted by YouGotGored:
Originally posted by 5280High:
Top safety with coverage skills on their board

He is scrappy as hell. Love it.

Agree. Great depth player who we can let develop

Just curious, does anyone know why Goldson was picked so late (4th)? What was the knock on him?
Originally posted by YungAce:
As long as we don't have Madieu or Reggie out on the field

that's damn funny and true
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Just curious, does anyone know why Goldson was picked so late (4th)? What was the knock on him?

PAC-10 wasnt a super amazing conference outside of USC back then, Washington was definitely not anywhere near a top tier program in the early 2000s, he was CB and this was before the craze of wanting big, lanky CBs so everyone said he would have to switch to safety, he might've had bad hip movement. I cant find his draft profile or anything but those are pretty good guesses.
Originally posted by sfout:
PAC-10 wasnt a super amazing conference outside of USC back then, Washington was definitely not anywhere near a top tier program in the early 2000s, he was CB and this was before the craze of wanting big, lanky CBs so everyone said he would have to switch to safety, he might've had bad hip movement. I cant find his draft profile or anything but those are pretty good guesses.

Here's Goldson's draft profile-

POSITIVES: Physical, well-built safety who excels defending the run. Disciplined, stays with assignments and is constantly around the ball. Diagnoses the action, squares into ball carriers and wraps up. Nicely times pass defenses, positioning himself against the receiver. NEGATIVES: Neither quick nor fluid changing direction. Hesitant in coverage and struggles in man situations. ANALYSIS: Used at both corner and safety in college, Goldson is best facing the action in a zone system. Offers potential as a dime back/special teams player. PROJECTION: Undrafted Free Agent

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2007/draft/players/21179.html

Hopefully we re-sign Goldson longterm and Robinson can provide solid depth (at least better than what we had before).
tackling skills look good...not sure on his coverage....that td looked like it was on him for help over the top....he almost made a nice play on the one caught with 4 minutes left but just a second late getting there.
RIP Reggie Smith
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
RIP Reggie Smith

not like it mattered, signed with Carolina 2 weeks ago. Robinson is a great pickup, I begrudgingly thought of him as one of the best safeties of this class due to his entire body of work (I have a strange hatred for Michigan State and I'm not a Michigan man in any form. I just hate the spartans lol).

Originally posted by RedWaltz24:

• sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:

x2 - that whole family is like "GO 49ers!!!!!!" - Always great to have kids excited to be for a specific team more so then just being in the nfl. I'm really excited about Robinson competing against Spillman for the #3 spot.
Robinson seems like a good one to take over for Whitner down the road or on injury. Seems instinctive, that's a really good start for a safety.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Robinson seems like a good one to take over for Whitner down the road or on injury. Seems instinctive, that's a really good start for a safety.

I thought he'd be more suited to take the empty spot of Goldson one day... unless Spillman can manage to snag that spot.
not a big fan of his size doe
Share 49ersWebzone