There are 121 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

AJ Jenkins is a 49er

Hill is good...and going to be really good, really soon, in my opinion. Trust the MadDog. Beginning to think I may have missed on him as the number two WR in this draft, after Blackmon.

As always, time will tell. Very early in the game. As seen in just the first game, players in positions that take time to develop can really show growth over a year. Gabbert is a LOT better this year. Meanwhile, Dalton looked shaky. With young players, the ups and downs can make fans insane.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Sep 12, 2012 at 1:02 PM ]
Originally posted by TexasGuero49:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by TexasGuero49:
Im guessing he is the one getting bumped whenever Ginn comes back...

chances are yes


Dont really know how I feel about that. He's our 1rst round pick, I would hope that on gameday he would be active and helping us win games. I don't buy into the theory that we our so deep at WR that he is not needed and can sit a year and learn the sytem. If we are so deep at that position that our #1 draft pick is not needed...Then we should have used that pick on someone else.... In my opinion, someone else needs to be inactive and the rookie get some playing time in...

You draft a player based on how you think he will contribute over his entire career, not their rookie season. Most rookies don't contribute much and last years rookie class was really an aberration. Most players dont begin to contribute until their second season and dont begin to hit their NFL plateau until their third or fourth season.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Hill is good...and going to be really good, really soon, in my opinion. Trust the MadDog. Beginning to think I may have missed on him as the number two WR in this draft, after Blackmon.

As always, time will tell. Very early in the game. As seen in just the first game, players in positions that take time to develop can really show growth over a year. Gabbert is a LOT better this year. Meanwhile, Dalton looked shaky. With young players, the ups and downs can make fans insane.
Or "mad."
  • sfout
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 6,306
sigh....now that everyone is cleared up about Calvin Johnson and Stephen Hill lets shift back AJ Jenkins ^_^

Anyone hoping we get Jenkins on the field this weekend? Or will Ginn be back?
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
I know my facts. Your Both Wrong, you don't no what the spread is clearly or the system gailey runs! Modern offenses in the NFL tend to mix proven plays and concepts. If a vertical timing play works, a West Coast team uses it to throw deep. Power running teams run horizontal timing plays. The NFL is a results business, and team generally do what works. Coaches innovate. Teams take power running ball-possession concepts, apply them to multiple receiver offenses, and go to work. In Gailey's case, he's essentially mixed a traditional ball-control passing game with west coast timing concepts.The spread option offense is a variant of the more generic "spread offense." It has found unprecedented success and widespread employment in college and high school football. Essentially a hybrid of the traditionally pass-oriented spread offense, the spread option is based on the concept of defensive isolation. The offense "spreads" the defense by aligning in three-to-five receiver sets, using two or fewer running backs in the backfield and often setting the quarterback in shotgun. How does a back have 3,300 yards? how does choice get another 1,000 2 years in a row. Choice left oklahoma because of peterson he went to another team that ran it just as much. Choice ran out of a single back in his second year, gailey ran a power running game, IFORM!!!
Look at the statistics during the 2006 season and last year......

QB
Reggie Ball 135-304 1,820 yards
Taylor Bennett 35-58 523 yards

2011
Tevin Washington 74-150 1652 yards
Synjyn Days 8-12 198 yards

135 completions compared to 74....what the hell do you expect a WR to do with that? During the 2006 season they rushed the ball 526 times...in 2011, 718 times.
That was Calvin's last year, The lost P.J who had 3300 yards and Choice first season starting, still got 1000! Your only using Calvin's final year, the passed more that season because they lost a great back and the only guy with talent was calvin, you got to feed him. Basically, all i see is a more effective passing attack with Tevin. Better numbers with half the throws, That would mean better numbers for hill, because there focused on stoping the run, which means one on one all day with a cb, no saftey help. Besides, no team is truly a West Coast, or Spread, It's a mix of what works.

Hill could remind some of Randy Moss when it comes to running a pure, one-on-one deep route.Outside of catching jump balls, he struggles to read coverages and understand how to find holes in a zone. Hill looks uncomfortable with the ball in his hands and resembles a lengthy track star on the field instead of a football player. DOESN"T FIT US, SYSTEM COMPLEX! Hill left as a JR! And for a guy his size I expect better numbers at the combine, He's got 25 pounds on Aj, but only Bench 2 more reps? ALEX DOESN"T NEED A JUMP BALL GUY HE WOULDN"T THROW IT ANYWAYS!

Jenkins is willing to go across the middle and always reaches out to pluck the ball. He was a 2 year starter. He is effective both long and deep but is less of a threat after the catch as he is running his routes. He separates well when running with defenders and is good in securing the catch. Looks West Coast to me, guy who can catch and run more than one route!

Your basically saying, Andrew Luck is not a good qb, because he came from a team that ran the ball 55% of the time. Does no compute!!! Hill is over rated because all fans watch is highlights and you should look at these facts, For some reason Aj was BETTER!

Gailey's, The Offensive Formation: Spread
Gailey's The Rushing Scheme: Power Run.

Paul's, The Offensive Formation: Spread
Paul's The Rushing scheme: Read Option

Illinois Fighting Illini under Jenkins A TWO YEAR STARTER FOR THAT MATTER, AND was the same OFFENSE as Stephen Hill!
The Offensive Formation: Spread
The Rushing scheme: Read Option

So A.J produced better numbers in the same scheme, with just as many starts! /THREAD

I'll trust G.M. and coach's over the board, if we listen to you guys, Aldon wouldn't have been drafted!
  • sfout
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 6,306
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
Illinois Fighting Illini under Jenkins A TWO YEAR STARTER FOR THAT MATTER, AND was the same OFFENSE as Stephen Hill!
The Offensive Formation: Spread
The Rushing scheme: Read Option

So A.J produced better numbers in the same scheme, with just as many starts! /THREAD

I'll trust G.M. and coach's over the board, if we listen to you guys, Aldon wouldn't have been drafted!

lol only quoting that which matters and only bolding that which is the most important. All of us Armchair GMs went ZOMG LOOK AT STEPHEN HILL, RUEBEN RANDLE, ALSHON JEFFERY MUST DRAFT but the players we keyed in on publicly (Kendall Wright) and privately (AJ Jenkins) were both smaller and just as explosive. I wanted us to draft Jeffery more then any other WR (and after this past weekend I'm glad Jeffery had a breakout game to prove people wrong) on the board but once we got Jenkins I was ecstatic, especially when I finally him in the preseason. Getting a chance to see him out there really put any jitters to rest for me, yes he had some drops but wow does he have some mitts on him and his separation was great.
first round pick for a scout team wr. great job baalke
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:

Gailey's, The Offensive Formation: Spread
Gailey's The Rushing Scheme: Power Run.

Paul's, The Offensive Formation: Spread
Paul's The Rushing scheme: Read Option

Illinois Fighting Illini under Jenkins A TWO YEAR STARTER FOR THAT MATTER, AND was the same OFFENSE as Stephen Hill!
The Offensive Formation: Spread
The Rushing scheme: Read Option

So A.J produced better numbers in the same scheme, with just as many starts! /THREAD

I'll trust G.M. and coach's over the board, if we listen to you guys, Aldon wouldn't have been drafted!
Lol, Georgia Tech runs the the triple option, out of the flexbone. That is nothing like the offense ran at Illinois
[ Edited by Thorhawk on Sep 12, 2012 at 2:34 PM ]
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Hill is good...and going to be really good, really soon, in my opinion. Trust the MadDog. Beginning to think I may have missed on him as the number two WR in this draft, after Blackmon.

As always, time will tell. Very early in the game. As seen in just the first game, players in positions that take time to develop can really show growth over a year. Gabbert is a LOT better this year. Meanwhile, Dalton looked shaky. With young players, the ups and downs can make fans insane.

You think he'll be better than Alshon Jeffery?
Originally posted by Thorhawk:
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:

Gailey's, The Offensive Formation: Spread
Gailey's The Rushing Scheme: Power Run.

Paul's, The Offensive Formation: Spread
Paul's The Rushing scheme: Read Option

Illinois Fighting Illini under Jenkins A TWO YEAR STARTER FOR THAT MATTER, AND was the same OFFENSE as Stephen Hill!
The Offensive Formation: Spread
The Rushing scheme: Read Option

So A.J produced better numbers in the same scheme, with just as many starts! /THREAD

I'll trust G.M. and coach's over the board, if we listen to you guys, Aldon wouldn't have been drafted!
Lol, Georgia Tech runs the the triple option, out of the flexbone. That is nothing like the offense ran at Illinois

That's still Iform either way you look at it lol, Just 2 running backs a Fb and no tightend. So he's still on the field because he's a wr lol Either way A.J will have a better career maybe not every play is a highlight, but a catch for a first down is fine, rather that just one bomb play every game. We need to work on 3rd down, that's not going to help us, alex doesn't throw a deep ball unless to VD. And alex is a spread qb, so again A.J fits alex, and Colin is a Pistol fits both, two birds one stone!
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Hill is good...and going to be really good, really soon, in my opinion. Trust the MadDog. Beginning to think I may have missed on him as the number two WR in this draft, after Blackmon.

As always, time will tell. Very early in the game. As seen in just the first game, players in positions that take time to develop can really show growth over a year. Gabbert is a LOT better this year. Meanwhile, Dalton looked shaky. With young players, the ups and downs can make fans insane.

You think he'll be better than Alshon Jeffery?

yea i agree with maddog...his talent and potential is off the charts.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Hill is good...and going to be really good, really soon, in my opinion. Trust the MadDog. Beginning to think I may have missed on him as the number two WR in this draft, after Blackmon.

As always, time will tell. Very early in the game. As seen in just the first game, players in positions that take time to develop can really show growth over a year. Gabbert is a LOT better this year. Meanwhile, Dalton looked shaky. With young players, the ups and downs can make fans insane.

You think he'll be better than Alshon Jeffery?

Blackmon has the same height, he's 6'0 3/4 not 6'1, lol He's arm's are not as long as Aj either, and his hands are also smaller than aj's, Also 2 more reps in bench.
This is like stealing Rice from the cowgirls. He ran a 4.6, consider to slow, and not big enough to be anything, A.J is just as good if not better than blackmon.
A.J 167 Rec, 2432 Yds, 19 TD
Blackmon 121 Rec, 1,522Yards 18TD
Originally posted by susweel:
first round pick for a scout team wr. great job baalke


solid post
We also have Moss and Crabtree starting before Jenkins. The Bears have Hester over Jeffries, not too tough in my opinion. The Jets have Holmes and no one else, prime spot for Hill. The Jags had/have nobody. All those receivers have more of an opportunity to start and contribute early on. Jenkins looked better than all of those guys in preseason as well. Yes, I know that it was just preseason. I trust our GM and coaches. We'll be fine.
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
That was Calvin's last year, The lost P.J who had 3300 yards and Choice first season starting, still got 1000! Your only using Calvin's final year, the passed more that season because they lost a great back and the only guy with talent was calvin, you got to feed him. Basically, all i see is a more effective passing attack with Tevin. Better numbers with half the throws, That would mean better numbers for hill, because there focused on stoping the run, which means one on one all day with a cb, no saftey help. Besides, no team is truly a West Coast, or Spread, It's a mix of what works.

Hill could remind some of Randy Moss when it comes to running a pure, one-on-one deep route.Outside of catching jump balls, he struggles to read coverages and understand how to find holes in a zone. Hill looks uncomfortable with the ball in his hands and resembles a lengthy track star on the field instead of a football player. DOESN"T FIT US, SYSTEM COMPLEX! Hill left as a JR! And for a guy his size I expect better numbers at the combine, He's got 25 pounds on Aj, but only Bench 2 more reps? ALEX DOESN"T NEED A JUMP BALL GUY HE WOULDN"T THROW IT ANYWAYS!

Jenkins is willing to go across the middle and always reaches out to pluck the ball. He was a 2 year starter. He is effective both long and deep but is less of a threat after the catch as he is running his routes. He separates well when running with defenders and is good in securing the catch. Looks West Coast to me, guy who can catch and run more than one route!

Your basically saying, Andrew Luck is not a good qb, because he came from a team that ran the ball 55% of the time. Does no compute!!! Hill is over rated because all fans watch is highlights and you should look at these facts, For some reason Aj was BETTER!

Gailey's, The Offensive Formation: Spread
Gailey's The Rushing Scheme: Power Run.

Paul's, The Offensive Formation: Spread
Paul's The Rushing scheme: Read Option

Illinois Fighting Illini under Jenkins A TWO YEAR STARTER FOR THAT MATTER, AND was the same OFFENSE as Stephen Hill!
The Offensive Formation: Spread
The Rushing scheme: Read Option

So A.J produced better numbers in the same scheme, with just as many starts! /THREAD

I'll trust G.M. and coach's over the board, if we listen to you guys, Aldon wouldn't have been drafted!

74 completions is not an effective passing attack....it was an afterthought. A team running the triple option is not worried about passing the ball if they can run. What better numbers do you expect, he had 28 balls thrown his was from a QB who was under 50% on completions..the year prior Nesbitt was at 37%.

Everybody knew Hill was a raw prospect coming out of school, that was never hidden....but if he was going to sit the bench like Jenkins he would have all the time in the world to learn.

What does system complex mean? Are you saying he's stupid?

Are you really going to argue bench reps....Hill is a proven blocker, Jenkins is not.

If you are going to try to prove a point about his skills use your own words, thoughts, and experience watching him.....don't quote his combine page from NFL.com. But if you are, quote the whole thing, He has shown a good amount of production and has fifth-round value at the next level if he can continue to get open the way he did in the Big Ten.

Luck playing in a balanced system was something Hill was not apart of....learn to read the numbers.

THE GEORGIA TECH SYSTEM IS NOT WHAT IS RUN AT ILLINOIS

Have you ever watched the triple option, have you ever watched GT for a full game...or 3?

and why are you posting Gailey's system...he wasnt even the damn coach!!!!!
[ Edited by jreff22 on Sep 12, 2012 at 4:59 PM ]