There are 164 users in the forums

AJ Jenkins is a 49er

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
Give me whatever your smoking... Pass vs Run , One is Ifrom Power, the other is Option run! They were not a passing team under Gailey! haha he loves running the ball, Fred Jackson, C.J Spiller who had 169 yards in that jets game??? Bills ran 1,921 in 2011, 1,720 in 2010!

Under Chan Gailey, Georgia Tech had become notorious for having a stifling defense and a ball control offense! In four years, P.J. Daniels had over 3,300 yards rushing with Tech, Draft 2006. Tashard Choice led the Yellow Jacket rushing attack in 2006, becoming the first Yellow Jacket to rush for 1,000 yards since P. J. Daniels. He ran out of Iform, until 2007 when they got a new O.C, and Choice ran out of single back, Choice had 1,310 yards rushing on 249 attempts and 10 touchdowns even with injuries to his hamstring and to his knee.I know a lot about Choice, He was at oklahoma behind Peterson and Transfer to GT, I was pissed off, but he didn't have a chance playing behind peterson.

They also had Reggie Ball from 2003-2006, Comp 662, Attempts1363, Comp% 48.6, Yards 8128, TD 57, Int's 55, He never passed for more than 2,200 yards in a season! Calvin was draft 2007. Your confused sr, Gailey ran the ball, all day every day! I'll give you the different philosophy, Power running vs Paul run option system, that's it. Otherwise, they ran just as much under Chan, as they do under Paul!

They were never a passing team, Calvin just made them look like one, because he's got the talent of Moss, with the drive of Jerry to be the best. When I look at stephen hill I see a guy, just playing a game he's good at, not a guy who wants to be the best and work for it. He doesn't fit us, he's more about himself than the team. A.J is a team first guy, a blue color worker, he fits us perfect, A guy like Justin, and Aldon, and VD, Guys with talent, that work harder than anyone else because they want to be the best.

Jreff is right -- Calvin Johnson played in a spread offense in college not an option attack. learn your facts before you compare them. Just because GTs QB was terrible doesn't mean it isn't true. Yes they were a run first team but it was not an option attack like the one Hill comes from.

Back on topic - Jenkins was seen as a more upside pick and seems to fit Harbaugh's idea of an ideal WR for his scheme seeing how he had a chance to take either Hill or Randle, both big bodied and equally fast as Jenkins but he picked Jenkins for his hands, intelligence, drive, and it doesnt hurt that he was becoming a gym rat during his senior season.

Not saying Hill doesn't have those but clearly Jenkins impressed them in some fashion that we aren't completely aware of.
[ Edited by sfout on Sep 12, 2012 at 7:12 AM ]
Originally posted by sfout:
Give me whatever your smoking... Pass vs Run , One is Ifrom Power, the other is Option run! They were not a passing team under Gailey! haha he loves running the ball, Fred Jackson, C.J Spiller who had 169 yards in that jets game??? Bills ran 1,921 in 2011, 1,720 in 2010!

Under Chan Gailey, Georgia Tech had become notorious for having a stifling defense and a ball control offense! In four years, P.J. Daniels had over 3,300 yards rushing with Tech, Draft 2006. Tashard Choice led the Yellow Jacket rushing attack in 2006, becoming the first Yellow Jacket to rush for 1,000 yards since P. J. Daniels. He ran out of Iform, until 2007 when they got a new O.C, and Choice ran out of single back, Choice had 1,310 yards rushing on 249 attempts and 10 touchdowns even with injuries to his hamstring and to his knee.I know a lot about Choice, He was at oklahoma behind Peterson and Transfer to GT, I was pissed off, but he didn't have a chance playing behind peterson.

They also had Reggie Ball from 2003-2006, Comp 662, Attempts1363, Comp% 48.6, Yards 8128, TD 57, Int's 55, He never passed for more than 2,200 yards in a season! Calvin was draft 2007. Your confused sr, Gailey ran the ball, all day every day! I'll give you the different philosophy, Power running vs Paul run option system, that's it. Otherwise, they ran just as much under Chan, as they do under Paul!

They were never a passing team, Calvin just made them look like one, because he's got the talent of Moss, with the drive of Jerry to be the best. When I look at stephen hill I see a guy, just playing a game he's good at, not a guy who wants to be the best and work for it. He doesn't fit us, he's more about himself than the team. A.J is a team first guy, a blue color worker, he fits us perfect, A guy like Justin, and Aldon, and VD, Guys with talent, that work harder than anyone else because they want to be the best.

Jreff is right -- Calvin Johnson played in a spread offense in college not an option attack. learn your facts before you compare them. Just because GTs QB was terrible doesn't mean it isn't true. Yes they were a run first team but it was not an option attack like the one Hill comes from.

Back on topic - Jenkins was seen as a more upside pick and seems to fit Harbaugh's idea of an ideal WR for his scheme seeing how he had a chance to take either Hill or Randle, both big bodied and equally fast as Jenkins but he picked Jenkins for his hands, intelligence, drive, and it doesnt hurt that he was becoming a gym rat during his senior season.

Not saying Hill doesn't have those but clearly Jenkins impressed them in some fashion that we aren't completely aware of.

Maybe putting up much bigger #'s and having much better hands had something to do with it....
Originally posted by sfout:

I know my facts. Your Both Wrong, you don't no what the spread is clearly or the system gailey runs! Modern offenses in the NFL tend to mix proven plays and concepts. If a vertical timing play works, a West Coast team uses it to throw deep. Power running teams run horizontal timing plays. The NFL is a results business, and team generally do what works. Coaches innovate. Teams take power running ball-possession concepts, apply them to multiple receiver offenses, and go to work. In Gailey's case, he's essentially mixed a traditional ball-control passing game with west coast timing concepts.The spread option offense is a variant of the more generic "spread offense." It has found unprecedented success and widespread employment in college and high school football. Essentially a hybrid of the traditionally pass-oriented spread offense, the spread option is based on the concept of defensive isolation. The offense "spreads" the defense by aligning in three-to-five receiver sets, using two or fewer running backs in the backfield and often setting the quarterback in shotgun. How does a back have 3,300 yards? how does choice get another 1,000 2 years in a row. Choice left oklahoma because of peterson he went to another team that ran it just as much. Choice ran out of a single back in his second year, gailey ran a power running game, IFORM!!!
I know my facts. Your Both Wrong, you don't no what the spread is clearly or the system gailey runs! Modern offenses in the NFL tend to mix proven plays and concepts. If a vertical timing play works, a West Coast team uses it to throw deep. Power running teams run horizontal timing plays. The NFL is a results business, and team generally do what works. Coaches innovate. Teams take power running ball-possession concepts, apply them to multiple receiver offenses, and go to work. In Gailey's case, he's essentially mixed a traditional ball-control passing game with west coast timing concepts.The spread option offense is a variant of the more generic "spread offense." It has found unprecedented success and widespread employment in college and high school football. Essentially a hybrid of the traditionally pass-oriented spread offense, the spread option is based on the concept of defensive isolation. The offense "spreads" the defense by aligning in three-to-five receiver sets, using two or fewer running backs in the backfield and often setting the quarterback in shotgun. How does a back have 3,300 yards? how does choice get another 1,000 2 years in a row. Choice left oklahoma because of peterson he went to another team that ran it just as much. Choice ran out of a single back in his second year, gailey ran a power running game, IFORM!!!
Look at the statistics during the 2006 season and last year......

QB
Reggie Ball 135-304 1,820 yards
Taylor Bennett 35-58 523 yards

Tevin Washington 74-150 1652 yards
Synjyn Days 8-12 198 yards

135 completions compared to 74....what the hell do you expect a WR to do with that? During the 2006 season they rushed the ball 526 times...in 2011, 718 times.
Hill is good...and going to be really good, really soon, in my opinion. Trust the MadDog. Beginning to think I may have missed on him as the number two WR in this draft, after Blackmon.

As always, time will tell. Very early in the game. As seen in just the first game, players in positions that take time to develop can really show growth over a year. Gabbert is a LOT better this year. Meanwhile, Dalton looked shaky. With young players, the ups and downs can make fans insane.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Sep 12, 2012 at 1:02 PM ]
Originally posted by TexasGuero49:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by TexasGuero49:
Im guessing he is the one getting bumped whenever Ginn comes back...

chances are yes

Dont really know how I feel about that. He's our 1rst round pick, I would hope that on gameday he would be active and helping us win games. I don't buy into the theory that we our so deep at WR that he is not needed and can sit a year and learn the sytem. If we are so deep at that position that our #1 draft pick is not needed...Then we should have used that pick on someone else.... In my opinion, someone else needs to be inactive and the rookie get some playing time in...

You draft a player based on how you think he will contribute over his entire career, not their rookie season. Most rookies don't contribute much and last years rookie class was really an aberration. Most players dont begin to contribute until their second season and dont begin to hit their NFL plateau until their third or fourth season.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Hill is good...and going to be really good, really soon, in my opinion. Trust the MadDog. Beginning to think I may have missed on him as the number two WR in this draft, after Blackmon.

As always, time will tell. Very early in the game. As seen in just the first game, players in positions that take time to develop can really show growth over a year. Gabbert is a LOT better this year. Meanwhile, Dalton looked shaky. With young players, the ups and downs can make fans insane.
Or "mad."
  • sfout
  • Veteran
sigh....now that everyone is cleared up about Calvin Johnson and Stephen Hill lets shift back AJ Jenkins ^_^

Anyone hoping we get Jenkins on the field this weekend? Or will Ginn be back?
Originally posted by jreff22:
Look at the statistics during the 2006 season and last year......

QB
Reggie Ball 135-304 1,820 yards
Taylor Bennett 35-58 523 yards

Tevin Washington 74-150 1652 yards
Synjyn Days 8-12 198 yards

135 completions compared to 74....what the hell do you expect a WR to do with that? During the 2006 season they rushed the ball 526 times...in 2011, 718 times.
That was Calvin's last year, The lost P.J who had 3300 yards and Choice first season starting, still got 1000! Your only using Calvin's final year, the passed more that season because they lost a great back and the only guy with talent was calvin, you got to feed him. Basically, all i see is a more effective passing attack with Tevin. Better numbers with half the throws, That would mean better numbers for hill, because there focused on stoping the run, which means one on one all day with a cb, no saftey help. Besides, no team is truly a West Coast, or Spread, It's a mix of what works.

Hill could remind some of Randy Moss when it comes to running a pure, one-on-one deep route.Outside of catching jump balls, he struggles to read coverages and understand how to find holes in a zone. Hill looks uncomfortable with the ball in his hands and resembles a lengthy track star on the field instead of a football player. DOESN"T FIT US, SYSTEM COMPLEX! Hill left as a JR! And for a guy his size I expect better numbers at the combine, He's got 25 pounds on Aj, but only Bench 2 more reps? ALEX DOESN"T NEED A JUMP BALL GUY HE WOULDN"T THROW IT ANYWAYS!

Jenkins is willing to go across the middle and always reaches out to pluck the ball. He was a 2 year starter. He is effective both long and deep but is less of a threat after the catch as he is running his routes. He separates well when running with defenders and is good in securing the catch. Looks West Coast to me, guy who can catch and run more than one route!

Your basically saying, Andrew Luck is not a good qb, because he came from a team that ran the ball 55% of the time. Does no compute!!! Hill is over rated because all fans watch is highlights and you should look at these facts, For some reason Aj was BETTER!

Gailey's, The Offensive Formation: Spread
Gailey's The Rushing Scheme: Power Run.

Paul's, The Offensive Formation: Spread
Paul's The Rushing scheme: Read Option

Illinois Fighting Illini under Jenkins A TWO YEAR STARTER FOR THAT MATTER, AND was the same OFFENSE as Stephen Hill!
The Offensive Formation: Spread
The Rushing scheme: Read Option

So A.J produced better numbers in the same scheme, with just as many starts! /THREAD

I'll trust G.M. and coach's over the board, if we listen to you guys, Aldon wouldn't have been drafted!
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Illinois Fighting Illini under Jenkins A TWO YEAR STARTER FOR THAT MATTER, AND was the same OFFENSE as Stephen Hill!

So A.J produced better numbers in the same scheme, with just as many starts! /THREAD

I'll trust G.M. and coach's over the board, if we listen to you guys, Aldon wouldn't have been drafted!

lol only quoting that which matters and only bolding that which is the most important. All of us Armchair GMs went ZOMG LOOK AT STEPHEN HILL, RUEBEN RANDLE, ALSHON JEFFERY MUST DRAFT but the players we keyed in on publicly (Kendall Wright) and privately (AJ Jenkins) were both smaller and just as explosive. I wanted us to draft Jeffery more then any other WR (and after this past weekend I'm glad Jeffery had a breakout game to prove people wrong) on the board but once we got Jenkins I was ecstatic, especially when I finally him in the preseason. Getting a chance to see him out there really put any jitters to rest for me, yes he had some drops but wow does he have some mitts on him and his separation was great.

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
first round pick for a scout team wr. great job baalke

Lol, Georgia Tech runs the the triple option, out of the flexbone. That is nothing like the offense ran at Illinois
[ Edited by Thorhawk on Sep 12, 2012 at 2:34 PM ]

You think he'll be better than Alshon Jeffery?
Originally posted by Thorhawk:

Lol, Georgia Tech runs the the triple option, out of the flexbone. That is nothing like the offense ran at Illinois

That's still Iform either way you look at it lol, Just 2 running backs a Fb and no tightend. So he's still on the field because he's a wr lol Either way A.J will have a better career maybe not every play is a highlight, but a catch for a first down is fine, rather that just one bomb play every game. We need to work on 3rd down, that's not going to help us, alex doesn't throw a deep ball unless to VD. And alex is a spread qb, so again A.J fits alex, and Colin is a Pistol fits both, two birds one stone!
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

You think he'll be better than Alshon Jeffery?

yea i agree with maddog...his talent and potential is off the charts.
Share 49ersWebzone