There are 70 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Josh Johnson or Colin Kaepernick?

Josh Johnson or Colin Kaepernick?

Here's my 2 cents about the JJ signing...

First, it gives us an insurance policy in case Alex doesn't complete the season (use your wildest imagination). Secondly, it tells me that Harbaugh and co. is not comfortable with CK. But overall, it creates competition for the #2 spot.

Let's see what happens during PS.
Originally posted by NinerGold39:

First, it gives us an insurance policy in case Alex doesn't complete the season (use your wildest imagination). Secondly, it tells me that Harbaugh and co. is not comfortable with CK. But overall, it creates competition for the #2 spot.

Voice of reason. Unfortunately I think they are not sold on CK. Hopefully with the limited snaps CK and JJ get it can be determined quickly who is number 2.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by fly15:
Originally posted by susweel:
As long as one of them beats out that selfish prick Alex.

yes the same alex who organized team alex last summer with no contract signed. Yes the same alex who refused to throw his offensive lineman under the bus when he got killed during the first half of the year esp during the ravens game. yes that same selfish prick alex.

calm down dude, to begin with, I didnt say anything about alex being a selfish prick.

I think preseason games will determine our back up qb, but I think its gonna b Tolzien
Originally posted by 9erred:
Originally posted by NinerGold39:

Voice of reason. Unfortunately I think they are not sold on CK. Hopefully with the limited snaps CK and JJ get it can be determined quickly who is number 2.
or it can also give them a backup plan if they don't want to pay Alex all that money come 2013 and forth (it could be a 1 year deal for Alex)....they will have 2 QBs locked up (CK, JJ) who have been with the same system going into 2013 season.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
This thread is hella boring

Two QB's both who have hardly did a damn thing in the NFL, sure there isn't much to talk about. IMO, I would've brought in a more experienced veteran behind Alex Smith.

This.

A veteran backup would have been nice.

Any chance one becomes available in the next few months? If so, do we grab em even though we have 4 QBs?
CK will win the starting QB job this year.
Guys.....who said the Niners aren't sold on Ck, its total speculation by everyone. If you got a chance to bring in Josh Johnson who is not being used by his former team at a dirt cheap price YOU DO IT......NO FREAKING BRAINER. Tell me why that puts a nail in the coffin for CK? It's not like they traded for Josh Johnson.

Look we all knew that CK was going to be a project. He played in a gimmicky offense and his learning curve is going to be longer than most.

Now you bring in Josh Johnson who is familiar with the West Coast Offense, a guy that Harbaugh is comfortable with and a guy that can legitimately push both CK and Alex Smith to make their game better.

Also if Alex Smith goes down, you have Josh Johnson as a more experienced guy to run the team and that's if CK sucks or hasn't developed quite yet. But I still think that CK wins the second spot, but JJ will give him more push than Tolzien. Also it's another guy that CK can talk to and learn from.

Competition is the name of the game for the 49ers, it's what they are all about.

I think it says more about Tolzien than CK.

And yes Alex Smith will be the outright starter for the team for sure.
hey sus, just wondering...

because...

1) Alex gets injured, CK out plays JJ
2) CK legitimately outplays Alex and JJ
3) Alex and JJ both get injured, CK wins position by default
Originally posted by NinerBuff:

because...

I don't know man Im not some kind of psychic
  • kush
  • Veteran
Johnson's agent approached us and not the other way around. I understand if you personally don't like CK or think he'll be a starter but please get the facts straight.

Considering how we structured Alex (essentially a 1 year deal) and JJs (2 yr deal at back up money) deals leads me to believe the plan is for CK to take over in 2013 with JJ being an experienced, similarly talented backup.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:

because...

I don't know man Im not some kind of psychic

Sus you crazy mang.
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by fly15:
As long as one of them beats out that selfish prick Alex.

yes the same alex who organized team alex last summer with no contract signed. Yes the same alex who refused to throw his offensive lineman under the bus when he got killed during the first half of the year esp during the ravens game. yes that same selfish prick alex.

I'm pretty sure susweel was trolling for just such a response. Even he could not seriously accuse Alex of being selfish.
Kaepernick has all of the necessary traits to be a very good QB. If he is willing to work hard he should be able to take the starting job from Smith in 2013 or 14
I wouldn't read into the JJ signing. The team got a talented player, who's had a lot of success under Harbaugh for essentially nothing. We get a guy who could start if needed and it didn't dent our cap space. That's just a smart move. It doesn't necessarily have anything to do with Kaep. Tolzein should be concerned though because we probably won't be able to keep the 4th guy.

IMO, Harbaugh could make any of these guys look pretty good. To my knowledge, he hasn't yet had a starting QB that didn't put up very efficient numbers. It's the design of his offense.

Of the QBs on the roster, I think Kaep has the brightest future. His mobility and accuracy fits the system. The thing that separates him is his accuracy on deep throws. If Smith can fix his deep accuracy, the offense would really takeoff and he'd be looking at a possible 30 TD season.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
by what method did you decide this? one potato two potato? You really must have seen something special in those five passes ck threw last year. in my opinion he better spend his time worrying about beating out josh johnson for number two let alone being the starter