LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 239 users in the forums

Josh Johnson or Colin Kaepernick?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Josh Johnson or Colin Kaepernick?

Johnson is a bum
I honestly don't have a favorite out of the two. Just as long as one of them can step in and be a good backup, if needed. Kaepernick was not a QB that I was high on in that draft... but I have nothing against him or J.J. May the second best QB be the # 2, and I'll simply enjoy the preseason battle.
Originally posted by 49ersHeroine:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
He was one of the worst QB's I've ever seen in the preseason. Running into the RB on handoffs.

Umm hello! This is a rookie who had a week of trainning camp, and a minamal chunk of a complex playbook to Make Sir Isaac Newton Sweat. And your complaining about how he looked in preseason? Alex performed worse than CK7, plus alex has 7years more experience on him. I'm positive Alex will be sitting the pine by week 4.

Based on what since rate got fired ex has had 35 TDD and 9 int and now that he is in same system you suddenly think he will collapse

As for kaep vs jj this and the wr battle will be the most fun to watch
Tolzien might leap frog these 2 to be the #2. Less talented physically but if he showed that he knows the offense and ready to go, that goes a long way for the coaches in being a backup #2.
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
For his career, Kap will tower over Johnson in my opinion. But this preseason, I would not be shocked if Josh looks a little better especially in the early going. He has more experience in the pro's, knows the system just as well, and is only a marginally worse athlete. I wish there was room to hold on to 4 qb's because Tolzein has potential too, and is in a different mold than Kap and JJ...more of a traditional QB.

It will be a very interesting pre-season. I dont expect anybody to push for Alex's job this year, but the back up spot and emergency 3rd are going to be a dog fight. Its exciting the have so much raw material to work with. Here is hoping that our coaches can sculpt one of them into a perenial pro bowler.

I'm glad to see that some posters aren't ignoring Tolzien. From the little we saw of both Kap and Tolzien last year, Tolzien actually looked the better of the two and , AT THE TIME, was the more NFL ready. He was accurate, made pretty good decisions and just outclassed Kap. It's no wonder the 9'ers grabbed him off of San Diego's practice squad. No arguing that Kap has the more impressive physical tools, and as a 2nd rounder, is the bigger investment. I just hope that ol' Scotty gets a fair shot. Don't really know much about Johnson, but he does have the college connection to Coach and more NFL experience, so that gives him a bit of leg up, certainly over Tolzien. If harbaugh was serious about making it a true competition, then I'm sure he and the other coaches will make the right decisions.
Kaepernick definitely has the most potential out of anybody we have on the roster. His ability to run and throw the long ball is something you don't see in a lot of quarterbacks. If he doesn't get out there this season, I think for sure he'll be ready by next year.
I'm not really sure it matters, since both seem to be a distant second and third to Smith. I will say that Johnson surpasses CK for 2012. Just skeptical about CK in the NFL.
Originally posted by NINER_Dynasty:
Kaepernick definitely has the most potential out of anybody we have on the roster. His ability to run and throw the long ball is something you don't see in a lot of quarterbacks. If he doesn't get out there this season, I think for sure he'll be ready by next year.
^
Originally posted by 16to87:
Originally posted by NINER_Dynasty:
^

Agreed. CK possesses the superior essentials: Athleticism and intangibles. But he could still be a bust because the essential have to convert to productivity; he hasn't demonstrated that consitently yet.

I'll say this: If CK hasn't demonstrated CLEARLY that he is the starter (no later than 2013) by this season's end, the Niners better be scouting for our next QB pick in round 1 next year. Because the others on the roster are not the final solution.

JJ has proven that he's not the answer: 3 years at TB where the position was basically handed to him and he couldn't hold it. ST has the right mentality but lacks the superior athleticism. And AS? . . . well, if after 7 years, it isn't obvious that he is, at best, a stop-gap, then people are in serious denial.
  • WWFGD
  • Veteran
I like whoever is better.

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersHeroine:
Umm hello! This is a rookie who had a week of trainning camp, and a minamal chunk of a complex playbook to Make Sir Isaac Newton Sweat. And your complaining about how he looked in preseason? Alex performed worse than CK7, plus alex has 7years more experience on him. I'm positive Alex will be sitting the pine by week 4.
You must have seen something really special in those five passes he threw last year in order for you to make a statement like that!for them to go get josh johnson tells me they are not happy with the progress of your boy.i hope you are around in week four when alex is still starting the webzone remembers statements like yours
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
This thread is hella boring

Two QB's both who have hardly did a damn thing in the NFL, sure there isn't much to talk about. IMO, I would've brought in a more experienced veteran behind Alex Smith.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Tolzien might leap frog these 2 to be the #2. Less talented physically but if he showed that he knows the offense and ready to go, that goes a long way for the coaches in being a backup #2.

I can tell you one thing, I'd definitely like to see him in real action before we start crowning him.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by susweel:
As long as one of them beats out that selfish prick Alex.

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by fly15:
Originally posted by susweel:
As long as one of them beats out that selfish prick Alex.

yes the same alex who organized team alex last summer with no contract signed. Yes the same alex who refused to throw his offensive lineman under the bus when he got killed during the first half of the year esp during the ravens game. yes that same selfish prick alex.
Share 49ersWebzone