LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 234 users in the forums

Solution to our Right Guard Problem: Move Anthony Davis to Guard and Sign/Draft a Tackle?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Nope he's a good young rt no need to mess with him. You can find a guard much easier.
I don't think you want to move a young player like him around the offensive line.
He improved last season and a tackle is more difficult to find than a guard.
Originally posted by susweel:
Nope he's a good young rt no need to mess with him. You can find a guard much easier.
This.
I thought Davis really improved as the season progressed. I look forward to him being a very good RT with a full training camp.

I don't feel a sense of urgency from Baalke/JH for the RG position like I did in WR. They moved quickly to improve that position.

Maybe they feel Kilgore has what it takes to take over?

As far as Davis moving to RG, I agree w/you that he'd probably be excellent. BUT we have Boone to play RT and he already know the offense so why go after someone when we don't have to. Also, he played very well when Staley went out.

If Kilgore is the "Guy", we still need a swing type player or 2 like Snyder was to fill in and play at good level,
I think he improved enough in his second season, without the benefit of spending his first NFL off season in a team supervised work-out program, to earn a third season at RT. IMO he's going to end up being a pretty damn good tackle.
Davis as a tackle, has some of the quickest feet in the NFL. The extra practice and experience this year might find him in the Pro Bowl.........
I agree with everyone saying Davis should remain at right tackle. What I don't agree with is the people claiming guards are so easy to find let alone in the late rounds. Absolute rubbish. Maybe 8-10 years ago. Guard now is just as important as tackle. Defenses are bringing more pressure up the middle now than ever before. Theres a reason we drafted Iupati in first round. We were exploited so bad last season at RG and our answer to upgrade the position is to start a guy off the practice squad?

I'm not going to lie. I'm nervous about our options at RG. We were absolutely abused almost every Sunday at RG until Snyder stepped in and he was far from awesome. I don't even want to imagine a downgrade. I am going to go into this season with an open mind and trust our coaches/gm and if they say Kilgore is the guy then he's the guy and I expect him to play well. If not we can expect more of the same if not worse than last year.
Well, I didn't know everyone thought Anthony Davis was so awesome.
Originally posted by nickbradley:

He's young and still learning his natural position... he improved last season but isn't there yet.
Now is not the time to move him around.
It's not a bad thought...so long as they can get an OT who can do the job. I don't see Jonathan Martin slipping far enough to make a 1st rd trade up feasible. It's possible, but he's among the top OT's in this draft and should be snapped up by mid-1st rd. Of course, doing that and moving AD to RG means you don't need to draft one, so what you'd give up in the draft is compensated with that two-for-one move. I wouldn't do it for less than Martin, though. They need someone who can be the starter at RT immediately (unless they plugged Boone in there). Interesting idea...but taking an OG who can also play C (for an aging Goodwin) is also a good idea.

Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
It's not a bad thought...so long as they can get an OT who can do the job. I don't see Jonathan Martin slipping far enough to make a 1st rd trade up feasible. It's possible, but he's among the top OT's in this draft and should be snapped up by mid-1st rd. Of course, doing that and moving AD to RG means you don't need to draft one, so what you'd give up in the draft is compensated with that two-for-one move. I wouldn't do it for less than Martin, though. They need someone who can be the starter at RT immediately (unless they plugged Boone in there). Interesting idea...but taking an OG who can also play C (for an aging Goodwin) is also a good idea.

Well, Martin is slipping closer and closer to us in mock drafts. Had a bad combine.

So if Martin is there, are you on board? Martin will be a quality starter from day 1.
Originally posted by nickbradley:

havent seen that'is anthony davis a bust' thread pop up in quite a while, he had a good second season
Originally posted by susweel:

BOOM
Originally posted by Berserker52:
Sooooo, the solution to fixing our right guard problem is to create a right tackle problem? I don't agree with this.

Guards are typically not hard to find in the mid-late rounds and Trent just drafted one last year. In fact he moved up to select him, I don't think he's given up on him after just one year.

Kilgore will start, he's young and comes cheap and I trust Trent that he's a solid player otherwise he wouldn't have moved up to select him. They have to save money some where so they can afford to keep all their key players on defense. Plus Bowman is a FA next year, he might command BIG money.
This.
I just don't understand why people are sleeping on Kilgore. I expect to see the fruits of JH developmental skills with Kilgore and think he'll be the starter at G.
See this thread: http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/164468-what-49ers-plan-protecting-alex-smith-going-forward/

Discusses that, and other issues.
Share 49ersWebzone