There are 62 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

What is the 49ers plan for the OL and protecting Alex Smith going forward?

One question I have is this: Could it be a possibility we reshuffle the right side of the OL?

I have been considering a number of things lately, and this is one thought that came to mind. Davis has been solid, although did have some struggles in a few games. It remains to be seen whether the sacks attributed to him were more because of bad OG play blocking the wrong guy, or if Davis himself was to blame, but regardless.. here are some facts I've considered lately:

1) We gave Boone a raise last year. Could this indicate he will compete to start at OT?
2) Snyder was let go, and Kilgore does look promising, but might we slide over Anthony Davis? He did play some OG in college.
3) We appear to like Mike Person as well, and seem to think he could be a depth guy -- along with Kilgore -- who could play any position on the line.

With that said, I could see us (if we don't sign or use a high pick on a guard) shuffling the line in one of these ways for next season:

Staley-Iupati-Goodwin-Davis-Boone
Boone-Iupati-Goodwin-Davis-Staley

At the same time, I find it really, really hard to expect us not to come out of this draft with a top OL, considering how incredibly deep it is this year. I have also considered that Davis, if he hits a wall and doesn't improve, could very well lose his starting spot as well to Boone.

Feedback? Input?
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Mar 20, 2012 at 5:39 PM ]
Boone is good insurance on Davis, but AD had a good year last year and I think he'll hold onto his spot. I don't see us sliding him over. based on the kinds of OG we've been bringing in I'm assuming the team is confident in Kilgore. I would love for us to bring in a guy like Schwartz and have them compete for the spot, leaving everything else the same.
I think a lot will depend on if we sign Geoff Schwartz when he visits tomorrow. I really think we want to give Davis one more year before we give up on him and move him to RG. He has shown improvement, he has a ton of potential. A solid RG would help him. P.S. We use the jumbo formation a lot so Boone is like a 3rd starting tackle. By the way Anthony gave up 9.5 sacks but 3 were to Jason Babin in the wide 9 split.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Mar 19, 2012 at 4:10 PM ]
Keep AD there till he starts to give up sacks.

He had a breakout last year.
I honestly wouldn't mind trying out Davis at LT where he was in college. And sending staley back to RT where we originally had him
After a probowl season at LT, we can't move Staley. Davis is only maturing and should make incremental progress this year. Kilgore fills the hole and we will probably bring in a FA and draft some competition. Boone is #1 backup T and Person is #2. We could use a backup G/C.

Konz starting to look better every day.

Staley-Iupati-Goodwin-Kilgore-Davis
I don't see it occurring this offseason.

- Boone was extended to provide swing tackle capability off the bench. He basically took over Barry Sims' old role. And while he got a raise, it's still not much money. If Davis regresses in 2012, then I see it during mid-season.

- Snyder hit his ceiling with the organization. Good utility player off the bench, but he's an older guy that wouldn't keep a starting gig vs. serious competition. We can draft those kind of players and pay them a cheaper salary. Kilgore is being groomed to be that OG/C type guy. And we also have Chase Beeler that may show promise during training camp.

- I agree that we will be targeting offensive line in the 1st or 2nd round of the draft. We are pretty stacked on the defensive side after resigning our key personnel. And we at least addressed the WR position in free agency with Moss and Manningham. And you've said it before, drafting the late first allows you to obtain a high quality interior offensive lineman (Kontz, Zeitler, etc)
I think it's too early to think about moving Davis to OG. It's a possibility, but he was continued to improve and I'm sure the team wants to find out what his ceiling is as an OT before they move him out of that spot. I would continue to start Davis at OT to find out exactly how could he could get.

I like Boone a lot. He appears to be a very steady player who carries out his assignments whenever he is in the game. He has starter potential, but it's hard to see him breaking the starting lineup anytime soon.

I think if the team truly wanted to start the best 5 lineman right now, Boone would be in there. Staley is locked in at LT, and Davis will get a long leash due to his draft status and potential. Either way, I think our OL is in very good shape. Add a OG/C in the 2nd round, and we're good.
They have to walk away with some talent in the draft. Kilgore, if he pans out, would only fill one hole. Center will be on the radar screen next year or the year after.

Unless they hit the FA market, Boone, Kilgore or Person is going to have to make the big leap in playing time.

I hate to mess with AD, since he showed pretty good improvement at the end of last year.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
I think a lot will depend on if we sign Geoff Schwartz when he visits tomorrow. I really think we want to give Davis one more year before we give up on him and move him to RG. He has shown improvement, he has a ton of potential. A solid RG would help him. P.S. We use the jumbo formation a lot so Boone is like a 3rd starting tackle. By the way Anthony gave up 9.5 sacks but 3 were to Jason Babin in the wide 9 split.

I didn't know Schwartz was visiting tomorrow....link?
Why would we shuffle our line to weaken it? We need to sign or draft a RG. Thats pretty much the end of the discussion.
Originally posted by matt49er:
I didn't know Schwartz was visiting tomorrow....link?

Awesome visit with the #Vikings!...Now another 2 flights and I'll be in SF tonight. not from Min to San Jose (think he meant now but 5:08 not sure of time zone)

http://twitter.com/#!/geoffschwartz74

His agent confirmed he grew up a 9er fan (born in LA) so we should have an up there. Vikings can probably offer more but with us he will be close to his home and I assume his family and a chance at a SB (vikings had 3 wins last year)

-------
nope. That ship has sailed "@Won_Man_Wonder: still a chance you end up a Panther again?"

Think he visited Lions, Vikings, us (tomorrow, maybe tonight) and might visit Chiefs yet. Hopefully we get him before he leaves.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Mar 19, 2012 at 4:34 PM ]
I'm hesitant about starting a rookie or a young guy like Kilgore at RG since AD has proven to be much more inconsistent when the guy next to him can't be relied upon.

I like the veteran approach the FO is apparently angling.
Personally, I think Boone is better than Staley and Davis.
dont want to move Davis around right now