There are 104 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Offseason So Far.....How do you feel overall?

Hard not to be very pleased. Obviously all of us would have liked a true long term, pro-bowl level WR, but the biggest names either stayed put or signed huge contracts that were not reasonable for us very early in the FA process. Given what was available, we got one player in Moss with no risk and high upside if he's motivated to return to even 75% of his previous form and we got a great young player in Manningham who is a definite upgrade over anyone who has been on our roster besides Crabtree in years and who has championship experience.

Other than that at pretty much every position other than RG, we either retained our own key FAs or added players who are equal or better to anyone we lost. Or in some cases (like QB) added depth/competition without losing anyone.

We now go into the draft with no glaring holes or absolute needs (other than possibly RG) and can absolutely go BPA with any position in any round and trade up or down without the worry of losing or stockpiling picks to address needs.

We will probably sign a vet at RG at some point (maybe someone like Carey out of Miami or Scott from Tenn) or pick someone up after cuts later in the year to compete with Kilgore and whomever we draft. Considering who we lost (Snyder/Rachal), whomever ends up starting will probably be an upgrade.

Combining that, with what we have done so far and a solid draft and it's hard to argue with anything so far. We are as strong or stronger (or will be) in every area, haven't signed any bad contracts that will jeopardize our future financially or with chemistry, and for the second year in a row, we seem to actually have a plan that we are sticking to and that seems to work.

Quite a difference from years past. And like last year, we weren't afraid to go after big names or spend big money, and if the fit was right, it would happen. If not, not. We wouldn't over spend and we had a plan B if it didn't work out one way or the other.
Keep defense intact... Check!
Keept ST (mostly) intact... Check!
Upgrade WR through FA... Check!

Now we need to draft a solid RB in case Frank goes down, pick up a WR in the draft, and hope Alex can improve on last season. If the 3 happen, I see no reason why we won't go to the playoffs again.
Rock Cartwright and CJ Spillman were good signings too. Our special teams coverage gave up no TD's all year and I'd like to keep it that way.
I am happy with what we have done so far. The whole starting defense is back which was a major priority. We addressed the WR position with moss and manningham. brought back alex who hopefully can build on a good year last year. brought back ginn as our return man which will help out the offense with field positioning. Best part of all is that we did not overspend, at least in my eyes, on the free agents. need to still add a guard either in free agency or the draft. can not wait to see what we do in the draft. i would love decastro or fleener from stanford. overall im a happy niner fan
overall I think its been a very good offseason. we need to do something at RG to make it a great offseason.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
we have added much needed depth at the return game with cox and the rock and at quarterback . if alex and or ginn goes down it will not be a disaster.I guess the team feels they will fix the RG thing in the draft unless they sign a davis guy for cheap. a far cray from the dark days when we worried about finding good starters let alone depth. Had a little bump in the road with the manning alex fiasco but that, like the kyle williams fumble, is all behind us now. aside from chilo, everyone gets a second chance to prove last year was no fluke
Scale of 1-10: 8.5. The Moss signing bother me.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
at first it did me to. But then i figure that diva guys like him are good when you sign them to one year deals, he is hungry, he has pride and wants his career to end on a good note, he also respects our coach . i also figure even at his age he will command more respect and a extra safety than morgan ever did which will help our running game as well.
Originally posted by cciowa:
at first it did me to. But then i figure that diva guys like him are good when you sign them to one year deals, he is hungry, he has pride and wants his career to end on a good note, he also respects our coach . i also figure even at his age he will command more respect and a extra safety than morgan ever did which will help our running game as well.

also, we will still draft at least one WR, I imagine, and Moss isn't guaranteed a spot at all. if he earns his spot, its a great signing. if he doesn't, hey, it was worth a try.
I'm glad we didnt get Peyton Manning
Originally posted by HessianDud:
Originally posted by cciowa:

also, we will still draft at least one WR, I imagine, and Moss isn't guaranteed a spot at all. if he earns his spot, its a great signing. if he doesn't, hey, it was worth a try.

No downside to the Moss signing at all.
Originally posted by HessianDud:
overall I think its been a very good offseason. we need to do something at RG to make it a great offseason.

Agree 100%.
I give the off season a B+ Resigning Rogers, Brooks, and Ginn was huge. Adding a respectable (and still young) back up QB was a need. Adding Manningham was nice and I think Cox is a nice add. Moss is a concern, but a low risk one. This gets marked down from an A because we lost Morgan (who I think is better than Manningham) and the whole Manning flirtation was ultimately a huge distraction.

Couple of fairly evident takeaways from the off season heading into the draft and training camp:

1. Kyle Williams will likely be cut. We have our returner back and his back up is Parrish Cox, so Williams is no longer needed for depth at return. We will add a receiver (or two) through the draft. Moss, Manningham, Crabtree, Ginn, rookie ... I think Williams is the odd man out.

2. Johnson's signing means that: (a) Kaep is not ready to start; and (b) Tolzien will likely be traded or released. I think the former is most likely given his youth and promise - someone will part with a low draft pick.

3. Our biggest position of need goes from WR to guard and the draft is fairly deep at that position.
Let's say Moss has a decent year this year, to the point where we want him to return.

I'd say that a future contract between him and the 49ers would be riskier than the one he signed this season.
Tackle is pretty much covered with Staley/Davis/Boone but the interior of the oline is terribly thin. Unless Kilgore and Pearson are ready to play they really only have Iupati and Goodwin. You have to think they feel good about those 2 guys.