LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 435 users in the forums

Offseason So Far.....How do you feel overall?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Not worried, lol
  • Lifer
  • Veteran
Biggest achievement by far is bringing back the Defense intact. The D is the heart of this team and the main reason we won 14 games overall. Re-signing Brooks and Rogers, franchising Goldson, plus adding depth at CB... great job.

Going after Peyton Manning was a completely audacious move. I think they surprised the whole league. It could've turned us into a Juggernaut... or blown up in our face. In the end, Manning chose Denver, but I applaud the effort. "He who dares, wins."

Still a lot of work to do on Offense. The team re-signed Alex Smith at a fair price and added Josh Johnson for increased competition and better depth. There's still a glaring hole at RG. The WR group hasn't really been upgraded. Moss is a wild card and might not even make the team. It remains to be seen whether Manningham is an upgrade over Morgan. I expect some major moves on Offense in the draft and post-draft FA.
It's going right as rain. We are getting just about everyone back we needed to. Baalke doing a great job. Freak'n Manning got it all more complicated than necessary. Moss and Manningham good pick up without the big money. Now to the draft...
  • jdc49
  • Veteran
great offseason so far, got the defense back, great FA signings, ST is back, just draft some players that will be able to contribute right away, and thats as good as it gets, in Baalke/Hargaugh i trust
  • kray28
  • Veteran
More than just bringing the defense back intact, we needed to get significantly better on offense. I don't know if we did that.

13-3 last year looks nice on paper. But it could have easily been 8-8 or even 7-9. And that is with awesome, out of this world seasons from our Pro-Bowl punter and kicker.

We did not win in a way that I would consider sustainable....fixing the offense would go a long way toward that.
By my count we have 65 on the roster leaving 15 open spots for the draft and UDFA's. Our free agency work looks to be done or close to it with the exception of maybe that elusive veteran interior lineman.
I'm excited to have Moss and Manningham on the roster

But bringing back Goldson, Brooks, Rogers Spillman, Ginn and Alex was HUGE ....we can hit the ground running next season with the majority of the roster intact
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
glad to have the D intact and Ginn back. I was sure we'd lose Rogers and Ginn.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
glad to have the D intact and Ginn back. I was sure we'd lose Rogers and Ginn.

I was too , I was all set to see Williams as PR and Culliver at starting CB ...I'm fired up we are in a position to make a nice run next year
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Very good roster we have, 62 players are signed, 2 are tendered(Goldson and Grant). Our needs seem to be RG, Depth at ILB(If grant leaves), OLB(Even if Haralson stays), FS(Backup to Goldson), WR(Need another one) and a RB(To compete with Dixon)

Also if a DE is in the draft at our range is a steal or good pick, we should draft him.

I'm with AB. Front office has done well to keep most of the core of a very good team intact, and make some nice additions for depth. With the draft yet to come and the needs clearly defined, this could turn into another epic offseason.

Originally posted by kray28:
More than just bringing the defense back intact, we needed to get significantly better on offense. I don't know if we did that.

13-3 last year looks nice on paper. But it could have easily been 8-8 or even 7-9. And that is with awesome, out of this world seasons from our Pro-Bowl punter and kicker.

We did not win in a way that I would consider sustainable....fixing the offense would go a long way toward that.

7-9? Dont see that. Unless ginn and half the D got injured half way through the season. I think 13-3 was a fair reflection.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Very good roster we have, 62 players are signed, 2 are tendered(Goldson and Grant). Our needs seem to be RG, Depth at ILB(If grant leaves), OLB(Even if Haralson stays), FS(Backup to Goldson), WR(Need another one) and a RB(To compete with Dixon)

Also if a DE is in the draft at our range is a steal or good pick, we should draft him.

I'm with AB. Front office has done well to keep most of the core of a very good team intact, and make some nice additions for depth. With the draft yet to come and the needs clearly defined, this could turn into another epic offseason.

and whats great is signing Rogers and Brooks long term, and friendly contracts, same with Alex. And getting some nice gems in Cartwright, Cox and hopefully Manningham and Moss work out. Looks like as you said an epic offseason yet again. Baalke and Marathe look amazing, great job by both.
Cox has an upside that could greatly benefit this team ..if he comes in and gives us some solid play, the CB core of Rogers, Brown, Culliver and Cox could be one of the leagues best....gotta love those low risk/high reward players signings that work out for us

Brooks and Rogers are great examples
I feel cautiously positive. I'm not excited about having Smith back nor the Johnson signing. But, without Manning, there really weren't many other opportunities that didn't involve overpaying for an unknown. I'm concerned about the loss of Snyder and the gaping hole there. With that said, Snyder was definitely an upgrade over Rachal, but why overpay for him, like the QB position? Mediocre players drive the prices up year after year unfortunately. I like the FA WR additions. Definite upgrades over last year. As for the rest...I'm ecstatic that we were able to resign our FA's like Brooks, Ginn and Rogers. Now I just wish they would get Goldson locked up long term. The move that has confused me the most was not resigning Costanzo and picking up Cartright instead.
Originally posted by kray28:

Defense is the only way to sustainably win. Offensive plays are based on risk and reward, longer a play takes the bigger risk of a sack/interception while also a bigger reward of receivers coming uncovered and getting further down the field. Weather doesnt typically take defenses out of their game plan, etc.

The offense is fine. Remember there was no offseason last year, players were basically picking up the playbook on the fly. Byham will be healthy and he is much better than Peele as a blocking TE but also has shown good hands. Manningham gives us a different type of receiver than Morgan or Crabs, and Moss is basically gonna take Ginns role to stretch the field and has way better hands and respect from DB's. Miller will continue to progress at FB and then there is the draft. The only players we lost from this offense that were even looked at as NFL starter quality were Morgan and...? Chilo sucked, and Snyder is a backup not a solution and then who Swain? The offense will take allot of people by surprise this year... Moss and MM deep, VD, Walker and Crabs underneath, Hunter/Gore/Miller as check downs, not bad considering the weapons we will pick up in the draft too. Hell with Fleener, we could even have a 4 TE package with 3 of those TE's just as fast as receivers and the other is a great blocker. The personnel packages will be great to watch all season.
Share 49ersWebzone