There are 136 users in the forums

Offseason So Far.....How do you feel overall?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
as l
Originally posted by Baldie:
1) Signed Moss
2) Signed Manningham
3) Resigned Carlos
4) Signed Cox
5) Signed Josh Johnson
6) Resigned Ginn
7) Resigned Brooks
8) Resigned Alex

Aside from the whole Peyton shananigans, I'm pretty impressed with the offseason so far. We haven't even gotten to the Draft yet. With the loss of a few, we also gained it back and then some I think. Our coaches are intact, our defense is intact, we added some key pieces on offense, we resigned Alex. Who knows what we'll do at the draft, Keener maybe?

Overall I'm happy and I'm seriously looking forward to the 2012 season and its only March. With all the moves across the league, the whole Saints drama.....its going to be a very interesting 2012 season.

as long as its not fleener lol
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
All they really need is a RG, another WR and depth. When was the last time we were in that good of a position? I'm totally amazed the offseason went this well. If you would have told me this at the beginning of FA and I would have thought we lose Rogers and Ahamad Brooks both and probably don't get any decent WR's. Just didn't think we could afford it. They kept a lot of their own key players, signed other FA's and didn't overpay for anybody. They only have 1 - 2 needs come draft time plus depth and special teams contributors. Just amazing IMO. I'd give it an A grade.

Yeah, some had doubts about Brooks... certainly Rogers... we started off real slow too. ... plus at one point we are thinking we lose Alex and Peyton....Ginn seemed gone... everything worked out well... Schwartz would have been nice.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
All they really need is a RG, another WR and depth. When was the last time we were in that good of a position? I'm totally amazed the offseason went this well. If you would have told me this at the beginning of FA and I would have thought we lose Rogers and Ahamad Brooks both and probably don't get any decent WR's. Just didn't think we could afford it. They kept a lot of their own key players, signed other FA's and didn't overpay for anybody. They only have 1 - 2 needs come draft time plus depth and special teams contributors. Just amazing IMO. I'd give it an A grade.

Yeah, some had doubts about Brooks... certainly Rogers... we started off real slow too. ... plus at one point we are thinking we lose Alex and Peyton....Ginn seemed gone... everything worked out well... Schwartz would have been nice.

Everything worked out but RG. But we can probably get Zeitler in the draft. I think Cordy Glenn is gone. But we can get Zeitler and we may need him and want to pick him too. I don't want Chilo back....
Very good so far. We added cheap and young depth. We are going to add receiver depth in the draft and probably draft a G from there too.
Bonererfic
Everything worked out but RG. But we can probably get Zeitler in the draft. I think Cordy Glenn is gone. But we can get Zeitler and we may need him and want to pick him too. I don't want Chilo back....

Yeah, either we are confident enough in Kilgore to not draft a guy high or we will draft someone within the 1st 2 rounds IMO. I wouldn't mind if guys like Wright, Fleener, Hill, Konz, Glenn, etc are gone to trade back and pick up an extra 3rd or 4th and get Zeitler in the mid-late 30s or early 40s (where ever we land) At worst we might take him at 30 if we get no offers to move back.
i feel like we need a guard, maybe another RB, def someone to groom behind justin smith, a new center, and we are good
I think the front office did an amazing job so far. Not reaching for anyone bringing in talent and competition. All we can ask it to make the team a little better and I think they did that so far.
Can't expect them to solve all the problems but they are taking care of them one by one. Great job. Love the josh Johnson pick up. I think he is gonna surprise people. Can't wait

I'm ecstatic to be honest with you. Wish we could have landed Schwartz but I have faith we will improve the RG spot.

we went after Manning and personally I think that's cool
we got Alex Smith to the contract we valued him as
we got a veteran backup QB in Josh Johnson who knows Harbaughs system
brought back the entire defense
Manningham/Moss to the WR group is a huge upgrade IMO
Ginn is huge as well as grabbing a potential backup return man in P.Cox
I like Rock C over Costanzo because he can do something
we did not overspend for anyone, we still have some room to operate

Can't wait for the draft, still hope we sneak in a FA at RG but not too worried about it
We are so lucky to have Baalke and Harbaugh. What they have done this offseason is incredible. We got all our major free agents back barring Snyder (if you consider him major) and added in some real talent at wide reciever with Mario Manningham and perhaps the most synonymous receiver name next to Jerry Rice in Randy Moss and we get a motivated Moss I remind you. I am so stoked for this season to begin. There is competetition across the board. Even Kaep's number two spot is in question now with the recent Josh Johnson signing.
Originally posted by jreff22:
Wish we would of gotten something more at WR

like what? pay 55 mil for jackson, over pay disgustingly for meachem, robinson or garcon? give 6 mil a yr to morgan? only deal i wouldve been ok with is 3 yrs for royal but he didnt even get to us. moss is a 1 yr boom or bust signing and since hes on his last shot he most likely will play hard being on a winning team with a coach like harbaugh, and manningham can be a sleeper signing knowing that hes playing for a long term contract. those are 2 contracts that will make those players ball hard knowing that theyre playing for another contract
We're not going into the draft with a glaring need as we have in year past. Some might say WR, but I think that has been somewhat taken care of via free agency. We'll still draft a WR or two but we're not in a super need position. We'll be able to go after the best player available for every pick in the draft thanks to this free agency. I like what we did so far.
  • Jiks
Quite satisfied myself. As everyone else has pointed out we do need some Oline help. As for WR's? Randy Moss>Brett Swain, Mannigham > Ginn, Kyle Williams has potential, and Crabtree is the key. People are underestimating Michael Crabtree and I feel it's due to his poor performance in the playoffs. We forget how strong he was coming along mid to late season, then the injury bug hit and suddenly he was our only viable threat. Well at WR anyways. If the guy can put in an offseason and start the season off already integrated into the offense, I see no reason he can't be a 1100 yard receiver.

Thing is, if our WR's can stay healthy, teams can longer focus so much on one guy. You can have Crabtree, Manningham, Moss(in no particular order really) and Vernon Davis all on the field at the same time. That's a little scarier than Micheal Crabtree, Brett Swain, ya know. Also a thought just popped in my head thinking of VD. 180 yards, 112 yards, 118 yards was his lat 3 games. Remember he is only starting to find his role in this offense as well. He struggled early and said ithimself he just wanted to give up.

Which brings me to my final subject. Of course it's the QB. I fully feel Alex is going to flourish with a full off-season under his belt. Running an offense with little to no training camp, and running it as smoothly as Alex did, is impressive. You can disagree or agree all you want but I think you are being stubborn if you disagree. And just think from Harbaugh's point as well. Would you just go out there and wing it in a new system, with Alex as your QB, not knowing anything about your team, with absolutely no time to install a red-zone offense, or install certain 3rd down packages, or anything in that matter? People have to realize, that the offense was in it's first stages of building. This season I see us taking the next step. Becomming more aggressive yet still pounding the ball with Gore. Integrating new sets, new formations, mis-matches, and goal line situations. I hate to beat a dead horse but Montana even said it took him 3 years, Rodgers took a season and a half(after Favre). We as fans get too far ahead of ourselves, we expect the unexpected. Alex and this offense as a whole will maintain it's effectiveness, but improve in the areas that really haunted us.
Share 49ersWebzone