There are 259 users in the forums

QB Josh Johnson

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by HessianDud:
Originally posted by susweel:
I for one am not excited about JJ signing with us. I also wouldn't be shocked if he got cut in training camp, the financial commitment they made to him is not significant.

i'm excited because of his familiarity with Harbaugh and the fact that his presence could push everyone at the position. he might not be very good at the NFL level, but he is legitimate competition for Kaep and Tolzien, and if they elevate their play to beat out JJ, then they will become better competition for Smith, who must elevate his play, etc. and, who knows, JJ might surprise people and push Smith too.

But yeah, I don't think he's anything more than competition, backup material, and I agree that I won't be surprised if he fails to make the final roster.

I dont know why but this part made me laugh. I usually agree with you though, so...

THIS
I never heard of him before other than the fact that he was once coached by Harbaugh. My only theory is that he is there to help Kaepernick compete. I don't know but this front office is so active I think they got a lot of big surprises and I am excited for this next season more than I have ever been. I really believe they have a very good big picture type thing going on here.
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by RonMexico:
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d8135237f/WK-5-Josh-Johnson-highlights

Are we watching the same vid? He looked very solid. That pass he made at 2:43 was money. I could see him hitting Moss or Davis with those all day.

3 INT's and a fumble, stares down guys, and has happy feet = very solid?

Alex should be considered All World then

They talk crap about Alex and his high throws and thats all I saw from JJ in the clip

and this was going to be plan B if Alex left.....lol

Jim is a great coach but tihs thought that he can take anybody and make them effective is retarded. If that was the case we wouldnt of signed JJ, Jim's super hero QB powers would make Kap and Tolz magical.

If he thought he could make anybody effective than he wouldn't have bothered going after Manning.

All he sees in Josh is a kid with tools who has a chance. He has ALOT of work to do, but he has a chance. He also know the kid because he coached him with great success.

You will pardon me if I trust Harbaugh a bit more than I trust you.
Originally posted by DirtyP:
Now we can all pretend like we know how good Johnson is just like we pretend to know how good Kaep/Tolzien are.

We still pretend Alex is suddenly good, did we foreget about his first years?
Originally posted by 16to87:
Originally posted by DirtyP:
Now we can all pretend like we know how good Johnson is just like we pretend to know how good Kaep/Tolzien are.

We still pretend Alex is suddenly good, did we foreget about his first years?

Nope but your hatred doesnt allow you to see the progress he has made over the last year and a half

Jim is a great coach but tihs thought that he can take anybody and make them effective is retarded. If that was the case we wouldnt of signed JJ, Jim's super hero QB powers would make Kap and Tolz magical.

But he's already done it with this guy at the college level..... The kid shattered records at SD state, didn't he?

College level....not NFL. And getting coached up to play the position better....really? What the hell did Jim do with him in college...tutor him in math? The kid has had Jim for multiple years in college and has had professional QB coaches for quite some time. Not every kid that study's under a specific coach will be good. A lot of people expect way too much from Jim and its going to disappoint people when reality hits, he is a great coach not a miracle worker. The position is not plug and play because Jim has a "QB friendly system", The QB himself has to have some form of talent to be effective, these guys at this point aren't little balls of clay waiting to be molded. Do I trust Jim in the QB department yes I do, do I expect him to make every guy good no way in hell.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by RonMexico:
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d8135237f/WK-5-Josh-Johnson-highlights

Are we watching the same vid? He looked very solid. That pass he made at 2:43 was money. I could see him hitting Moss or Davis with those all day.

I saw a very athletic QB that doesn't read the defense very well or go through progressions.

Right. A young, athletic QB learning to play the position.

I think there are alot of people who don't undertstand how Harbaughs offense makes it EASIER to play the position. It's "QB friendly". When Josh moves from that into something else...he struggled.

I happen to think that the same thing is going to happen to Luck.

Yah good luck to JJ he seems like a nice kid and he's a bay area guy. I wish him success but I never did understand the hype regarding him.

But he's already done it with this guy at the college level..... The kid shattered records at SD state, didn't he?

College level....not NFL. And getting coached up to play the position better....really? What the hell did Jim do with him in college...tutor him in math? The kid has had Jim for multiple years in college and has had professional QB coaches for quite some time. Not every kid that study's under a specific coach will be good. A lot of people expect way too much from Jim and its going to disappoint people when reality hits, he is a great coach not a miracle worker. The position is not plug and play because Jim has a "QB friendly system", The QB himself has to have some form of talent to be effective, these guys at this point aren't little balls of clay waiting to be molded. Do I trust Jim in the QB department yes I do, do I expect him to make every guy good no way in hell.

Missing the point.

It's not just learning from Harbaugh. It's his SYSTEM.

The same system that had produced Andrew Luck and Alex Smiths best season (by far) as a pro.

The SYSTEM is very QB friendly and Josh is already familiar with it.

An example of what I'm talking about? They don't use hot reads. They use a different strategy to couter blitzes.
Originally posted by HessianDud:
I for one am not excited about JJ signing with us. I also wouldn't be shocked if he got cut in training camp, the financial commitment they made to him is not significant.

i'm excited because of his familiarity with Harbaugh and the fact that his presence could push everyone at the position. he might not be very good at the NFL level, but he is legitimate competition for Kaep and Tolzien, and if they elevate their play to beat out JJ, then they will become better competition for Smith, who must elevate his play, etc. and, who knows, JJ might surprise people and push Smith too.

But yeah, I don't think he's anything more than competition, backup material, and I agree that I won't be surprised if he fails to make the final roster.

I dont know why but this part made me laugh. I usually agree with you though, so...

THIS

If he thought he could make anybody effective than he wouldn't have bothered going after Manning.

All he sees in Josh is a kid with tools who has a chance. He has ALOT of work to do, but he has a chance. He also know the kid because he coached him with great success.

You will pardon me if I trust Harbaugh a bit more than I trust you.

The anybody effective mantra has been used around here by posters claiming that if we lost on Manning and Smith, Jim can just...I don't know fix it with anybody. A chance for what, to remain a backup.....that's great and all but Jim will be working with Alex and Kap more because they are priority 1 and 2. Just because he coached him in college doesn't mean a lot to me, the kid has always been a backup. Jim just coached Alex with great success..and apparently it didn't matter.

Missing the point.

The same system that had produced Andrew Luck and Alex Smiths best season (by far) as a pro.

An example of what I'm talking about? They don't use hot reads. They use a different strategy to couter blitzes.
He used the west coast in Tampa Bay also and he struggled against better caliber of players than he faced at division 1AA San Diego, and before you say it was a different system then Harbaugh I give you this nugget

When you look at 49ers offense, how similar is it to the University of San Diego?
"It's still West Coast offense. Some things have changed with terminology and formations, but I've also played in different forms of West Coast offense since I've been in the NFL, as well. Some things have changed from San Diego. I feel like it's just about changing over the language in my mind and putting it all back into this offense, which is kind of what I did in college. The concepts are pretty similar from what we did, so it's about getting the language down and understanding what our game plans are going to be about.

Missing the point.

He used the west coast in Tampa Bay also and he struggled against better caliber of players than he faced at division 1AA San Diego, and before you say it was a different system then Harbaugh I give you this nugget

When you look at 49ers offense, how similar is it to the University of San Diego?
"It's still West Coast offense. Some things have changed with terminology and formations, but I've also played in different forms of West Coast offense since I've been in the NFL, as well. Some things have changed from San Diego. I feel like it's just about changing over the language in my mind and putting it all back into this offense, which is kind of what I did in college. The concepts are pretty similar from what we did, so it's about getting the language down and understanding what our game plans are going to be about.

The West Coast Offense is a VERY broad description. You can look at 2 offenses and have no freakin' clue that they are the same at their base.

ALl the West Coast Offense is really is a terminology and a method of installing and practicing the plays. People all seem to think its about short passing (and it can be), but it's really about flexability and to counter whatever the D is doing at any given time.

In other words. Harbaugh version of the WCO and Shanahans version are NOT the same. The version run in Tampa is NOT THE SAME.

We are really kinda going in circles here tho.

Only time will tell here. I think that Johnson is a good pickup. I'm not syaing he's set the world on fire, but he is a good pickup with a chance. I also think that Luck will struggle.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Mar 23, 2012 at 2:14 PM ]
Missing the point.

Whats the point the kid knows the system...so does Tavita Pritchard. It's QB friendly aaaaaaaand what?

Are you expecting him to push for the starting spot?
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Missing the point.

Whats the point the kid knows the system...so does Tavita Pritchard. It's QB friendly aaaaaaaand what?

Come on Jeff I know he's not Alex but give the kid a chance.
Missing the point.

Come on Jeff I know he's not Alex but give the kid a chance.

yup. buncha jj haters on here.
Share 49ersWebzone