LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 150 users in the forums

QB Josh Johnson

Shop 49ers game tickets
First, Jim aint taking just "anybody" and putting them into his system, he is taking NFL quality talent and putting it in his system. So the thinking is if you give Jim H. a QB with a good arm, good brains, good motivation and work ethic, he can coach that player up to be successful within the system by ironing out mistakes and improving on technique. What happens after the snap all depends on the individual. But what Harbaugh has shown every where he's gone is that he can put a player in the best position to succeed after the snap. That's the fans mantra, and until Jim find a QB he cant coach up... so far it's just the truth.
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Missing the point.

It's not just learning from Harbaugh. It's his SYSTEM.

The same system that had produced Andrew Luck and Alex Smiths best season (by far) as a pro.

The SYSTEM is very QB friendly and Josh is already familiar with it.

An example of what I'm talking about? They don't use hot reads. They use a different strategy to couter blitzes.

Whats the point the kid knows the system...so does Tavita Pritchard. It's QB friendly aaaaaaaand what?

Are you expecting him to push for the starting spot?

Who knows. Probably not this year.

He's a young player with potential to be good and he HAS been good in the sytem before.

I'm not arguing that "we just got our superstar QB". I'm just saying he has POTENTIAL to be more than just a backup and that I think it's a good signing.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
and this was going to be plan B if Alex left.....lol

Jim is a great coach but tihs thought that he can take anybody and make them effective is retarded. If that was the case we wouldnt of signed JJ, Jim's super hero QB powers would make Kap and Tolz magical.

But he's already done it with this guy at the college level..... The kid shattered records at SD state, didn't he?

University of san diego not san diego state, which is a big difference...USD plays teams like drake and evansville, not exactly big league competition
Originally posted by 5280High:
First, Jim aint taking just "anybody" and putting them into his system, he is taking NFL quality talent and putting it in his system. So the thinking is if you give Jim H. a QB with a good arm, good brains, good motivation and work ethic, he can coach that player up to be successful within the system by ironing out mistakes and improving on technique. What happens after the snap all depends on the individual. But what Harbaugh has shown every where he's gone is that he can put a player in the best position to succeed after the snap. That's the fans mantra, and until Jim find a QB he cant coach up... so far it's just the truth.

Correct. He's looking for specific things. It's not just "I can take any QB". He is looking for specific things (and he's not letting on what they are). He's coached JJ and he thinks he at least has enough of them to bring him in and give him a shot.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
and this was going to be plan B if Alex left.....lol

Jim is a great coach but tihs thought that he can take anybody and make them effective is retarded. If that was the case we wouldnt of signed JJ, Jim's super hero QB powers would make Kap and Tolz magical.

But he's already done it with this guy at the college level..... The kid shattered records at SD state, didn't he?

College level....not NFL. And getting coached up to play the position better....really? What the hell did Jim do with him in college...tutor him in math? The kid has had Jim for multiple years in college and has had professional QB coaches for quite some time. Not every kid that study's under a specific coach will be good. A lot of people expect way too much from Jim and its going to disappoint people when reality hits, he is a great coach not a miracle worker. The position is not plug and play because Jim has a "QB friendly system", The QB himself has to have some form of talent to be effective, these guys at this point aren't little balls of clay waiting to be molded. Do I trust Jim in the QB department yes I do, do I expect him to make every guy good no way in hell.

Missing the point.

The same system that had produced Andrew Luck and Alex Smiths best season (by far) as a pro.

An example of what I'm talking about? They don't use hot reads. They use a different strategy to couter blitzes.

exactly. not all west coast offenses are the same. harbaugh obviously knows what hes doing, he likes QBs that have the threat of running as well as throwing. johnson and Kap are similar in their abilities. whhy not bring in two young QBs with similar sets of skills to groom while you already have a starter? harbaughs system seems to be very qb friendly based on how smith picked it up and im expecting some fireworks this year from our offense. just wait it out, everything harbaugh has done so far paid off.
Missing the point.

Whats the point the kid knows the system...so does Tavita Pritchard. It's QB friendly aaaaaaaand what?

He's a young player with potential to be good and he HAS been good in the sytem before.

I'm not arguing that "we just got our superstar QB". I'm just saying he has POTENTIAL to be more than just a backup and that I think it's a good signing.

He was good against inferior competition, that doesn't give me reason to think he will be good against NFL level competition which so far he hasn't been. You aren't saying it outright but I know what you are thinking and eluding to, you think he will be the starter in 2 years. If this kid was some kind of hidden gem I'm sure Jim would of made Trent trade for him last year, which he dint. He is familiar with the system which makes him a great camp arm but I think you are looking into this way to deep. Every new QB that comes to this team people go crazy for.... JTO, Hill, Troy, Kap, Tolz, JJ and the list will continue later on. I just don't get the excitement for a 3rd string guy.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Drus, with a terrific HC/OC/QB coach, I think just the opposite. I believe alex will play so well this yr that they will want to securely lock him up. Plus, we start this season with alex finally having the same HC /OC/QB coach that he had last yr, and that's a first for him. I don't think it accidental that the first yr alex has the proper and stable coaching, plus excellent team around him, that he played so well. His QB rating, for the record was basically within a point of Peyton's last full season, around 91for both...at about half the cost. Not comparing alex to peyton, but valuewise, we would have made an exceptionally bad deal with Peyton. Fortunately, it didn't occur. The other thing is way before season was over, alex had for receivers: Vernon, williams, and craps. That's it. Zippo except for vernon. This season he has Mario, vernon, moss, williams, craps, walker, and probably 3 or 4 WRs thru draft and UDFA. Man there is a lot of stuff around him right now that just wasn't there last season. My guess is for alex to have a helluva season this yr, assuming we can plug in the OG, which was problematic last yr. I bet that is fixed by opening day. Alex's future is all in his own hands. My hunch is he takes it and runs with it. The D will be better, we got ginn back, the OL will be better minus rachal and snyder...jeez, if alex doesn't shine with all this abundance, I would be amazed. Remember, draft hasn't even started yet.

His key to success? Learning how to do his sequential reads faster, and more importantly, the OC calling quick slants and outs that move the chains. Quick as in
hike it and sling it. One steppers. That alone would have raised alex's QBR last yr by 10 pts. And that was an OC problem, not alex.

Paso...your lips to gods ears! I would love nothing more than to see Alex prove me so wrong that I purchase a #11 jersey!!! I think we can all agree on one thing though.....WE ROOT FOR THE NAME ON THE FRONT OF THE JERSEY!!!! LETS GOOO!!!
he should wear #14 and break the curse of JTO
Missing the point.

He was good against inferior competition, that doesn't give me reason to think he will be good against NFL level competition which so far he hasn't been. You aren't saying it outright but I know what you are thinking and eluding to, you think he will be the starter in 2 years. If this kid was some kind of hidden gem I'm sure Jim would of made Trent trade for him last year, which he dint. He is familiar with the system which makes him a great camp arm but I think you are looking into this way to deep. Every new QB that comes to this team people go crazy for.... JTO, Hill, Troy, Kap, Tolz, JJ and the list will continue later on. I just don't get the excitement for a 3rd string guy.

Yes. It was inferior competiion.

However, no QB has EVER put up those numbers against ANY competition in College Football History. Ever. I won't just ignore that and say "scrub". Sorry.

I'm not eluding to anything. I just like the guy. I have no clue whatsoever how this will play out. I'm not making any predictions whatsoever. I just think the guy has a chance to be good and I like the signing.

I'm well aware of the zones fascination with these 3rd string QBs. I made a Youtube vid all about Nate Davis. I like Johnson FAR more than I ever liked Davis.

I just think that people who look at his NFL statline and make their decision based on that without ever having watched him play are missing the boat.

MARK MY WORDS: I'll eat crow if I'm wrong, I got no prob with that.

A couple weeks into the Preseason, Alex will look to be struggling because they haven't opened up the playbook. The team will look sluggish and vanilla and peeps will be calling for Alex's head. Then the 3rd QB on the roster will be lighting things up and all these peeps who say "not as good as Tolzien" or "scrub" will be saying "Make Johnson the STARTER!!!". Watch. Book it.

I'm not saying that it will be a logical argument. I'm just saying it'll happen.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Mar 23, 2012 at 3:11 PM ]
Missing the point.

However, no QB has EVER put up those numbers against ANY competition in College Football History. Ever. I won't just ignore that and say "scrub". Sorry.

I'm not eluding to anything. I just like the guy. I have no clue whatsoever how this will play out. I'm not making any predictions whatsoever. I just think the guy has a chance to be good and I like the signing.

I'm well aware of the zones fascination with these 3rd string QBs. I made a Youtube vid all about Nate Davis. I like Johnson FAR more than I ever liked Davis.

I just think that people who look at his NFL statline and make their decision based on that without ever having watched him play are missing the boat.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NCAA_football_records#Passing

Missing the point.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NCAA_football_records#Passing

OK, in FCS or FBS history. ;-)
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:

I'm guessing #1.
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:

I'm guessing #1.

we shall see
Wonder how Josh is gonna feel about his cousin Marshawn Lynch up in Seattle getting on the pub when we play them twice a year.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by glorydayz:
Wonder how Josh is gonna feel about his cousin Marshawn Lynch up in Seattle getting on the pub when we play them twice a year.

Didn't know they was cousins.
Share 49ersWebzone