LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 320 users in the forums

The Total Inability of 49er Fans to Understand Receiver Performance

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by backfieldpenetration:
I must say, I'm very impressed with the lack of bias on these forums. It's perfectly acceptable for posters to call MC a "p*ssy", a "douche", a "sack of garbage". You know why it's perfectly acceptable? Because we all know that if any poster said the same things about Alex Smith in the Alex Smith thread.....It would be perfectly acceptable too....Am I right? Of course I am. Not ONE person on this forum has a problem with anybody calling our QB names. Great job Mods. Way to stay unbiased.

WTF are you taqlking about? There a MANY poster on this board who defend Alex.

Maybe you should stick around for more than 10 minutes before speaking.
Originally posted by fropwns:
Originally posted by LoneWolf:
Which apparently turned out to be shorter then my response

Thwwwpt

My work here is done

LOL...should have kept reading before I responded to him.
Originally posted by nickbradley:
So, here's the narrative we hear on webzone incessantly:
- Crabtree will never be a #1
- Manningham is overrated
- Moss is Washed up
- Williams needs to be cut (for some reason)
- Delanie Walker is Awesome! No reason to draft Coby Fleener

Well, I'm here to tell you that all of those are untrue with the exception of the Moss one - because I have no idea how much he has left in the tank. I will rely on Footballoutsiders.com to assess the performance of our receivers. http://footballoutsiders.com/stats/wr

Crabtree - Crabtree improved dramatically from 2010 to 2011, after an even bigger improvement from 2009 to 2010. Extrapolating the trend, he should be a top 15 WR in 2012. On par with a Dez Bryant or something like that. method: I did a curve fit for 2009/10/11 stats and extrapolated the trend. Now, we can all throw stones at this extrapolation, but it is clear that Crabtree has the stuff to be a #1 and has improved a ton every year.

Manningham - Is everyone aware that Manningham was the 16th Best WR in 2010? And that he caught 65% of passes thrown his direction that year? And that he only caught 51% of targeted passes in 2011? He was hurt all year, and Cruz got the better routes to run. Manningham may end up being the steal of Free Agency.

Williams - On a per-play basis, Williams performed as well as Myles Austin and Torrey Smith. That's borderline #1 performance, for a little guy out of the slot that's 23 years old!

Moss - total wild card in 2012

Walker - Everyone thinks Walker is dominant, but it is a *Myth*. DVOA of -7% in 2011, 0.3% in 2010, and a horrid -20% in 2009. Totally replaceable, and not on par with other teams that run 2 TEs. You replace him with Coby Fleener (bump walker to 3rd TE), and productivity shoots up!

** With the exception of Moss, Manningham is the "old man" of the receiver corps at the ripe old age of 25!

Thoughts?

Thank you for posting this. I've been tellin all the ppl I talk to this very same thing.

Crabtree is better than what most people give him credit for and will only get better with his supportive cast.

Moss will be the unknown. Could be a huge addition or turnout to be a disappointment. Probably not high expectations for him though, soo maybe not much disappointment.

Manningham doesn't get the credit he deserve either. He out up good reciever numbers while being the 3rd wheel to the Cruz/Nicks show.

Williams just needs more PT at reciever to convince ppl of how much talent he truly possesses out of the slot. He's got all types of speed. Lets all remember that comeback route that he turned into a 56 yard TD against the rams.

I like Walker as much as the next guy, but Fleener is one of those guy that would instantly make us better if he had him and could hurt us big time If we miss out on. Not tryna have another Doug Baldwin happen..
Originally posted by martysofresh:
Originally posted by nickbradley:
So, here's the narrative we hear on webzone incessantly:
- Crabtree will never be a #1
- Manningham is overrated
- Moss is Washed up
- Williams needs to be cut (for some reason)
- Delanie Walker is Awesome! No reason to draft Coby Fleener

Well, I'm here to tell you that all of those are untrue with the exception of the Moss one - because I have no idea how much he has left in the tank. I will rely on Footballoutsiders.com to assess the performance of our receivers. http://footballoutsiders.com/stats/wr

Crabtree - Crabtree improved dramatically from 2010 to 2011, after an even bigger improvement from 2009 to 2010. Extrapolating the trend, he should be a top 15 WR in 2012. On par with a Dez Bryant or something like that. method: I did a curve fit for 2009/10/11 stats and extrapolated the trend. Now, we can all throw stones at this extrapolation, but it is clear that Crabtree has the stuff to be a #1 and has improved a ton every year.

Manningham - Is everyone aware that Manningham was the 16th Best WR in 2010? And that he caught 65% of passes thrown his direction that year? And that he only caught 51% of targeted passes in 2011? He was hurt all year, and Cruz got the better routes to run. Manningham may end up being the steal of Free Agency.

Williams - On a per-play basis, Williams performed as well as Myles Austin and Torrey Smith. That's borderline #1 performance, for a little guy out of the slot that's 23 years old!

Moss - total wild card in 2012

Walker - Everyone thinks Walker is dominant, but it is a *Myth*. DVOA of -7% in 2011, 0.3% in 2010, and a horrid -20% in 2009. Totally replaceable, and not on par with other teams that run 2 TEs. You replace him with Coby Fleener (bump walker to 3rd TE), and productivity shoots up!

** With the exception of Moss, Manningham is the "old man" of the receiver corps at the ripe old age of 25!

Thoughts?

Thank you for posting this. I've been tellin all the ppl I talk to this very same thing.

Crabtree is better than what most people give him credit for and will only get better with his supportive cast.

Moss will be the unknown. Could be a huge addition or turnout to be a disappointment. Probably not high expectations for him though, soo maybe not much disappointment.

Manningham doesn't get the credit he deserve either. He out up good reciever numbers while being the 3rd wheel to the Cruz/Nicks show.

Williams just needs more PT at reciever to convince ppl of how much talent he truly possesses out of the slot. He's got all types of speed. Lets all remember that comeback route that he turned into a 56 yard TD against the rams.

I like Walker as much as the next guy, but Fleener is one of those guy that would instantly make us better if he had him and could hurt us big time If we miss out on. Not tryna have another Doug Baldwin happen..

Note: Manningham only played in 12 games. He would have neared his 2010 production if he played all 16. This also doesn't include playing while not being fully healthy from his injury.
Share 49ersWebzone