LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 272 users in the forums

The Total Inability of 49er Fans to Understand Receiver Performance

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
As with last year, Jim Harbaugh is in a perfect position to draft one of his players if he thinks highly of him. Baalke would no doubt give in if Harbaugh sold him on Fleener. The question then is just how does Harbaugh see the team right now? Does he want to go into camp with the WRs he has? Or is he worried about the position? Will they need to pick up a RG high, even trading up? Then no Fleener or top WR.

Nice to go into the draft with only one huge need--RG...if they can't pickup a FA vet. Picking up a solid vet would allow the young guys to learn and develop before being thrown in and would help Davis on the right side. Really want to see what Smith could do with more time--and no holes in the middle.

Again, what's wrong with Kilgore?
Originally posted by nickbradley:
As with last year, Jim Harbaugh is in a perfect position to draft one of his players if he thinks highly of him. Baalke would no doubt give in if Harbaugh sold him on Fleener. The question then is just how does Harbaugh see the team right now? Does he want to go into camp with the WRs he has? Or is he worried about the position? Will they need to pick up a RG high, even trading up? Then no Fleener or top WR.

Nice to go into the draft with only one huge need--RG...if they can't pickup a FA vet. Picking up a solid vet would allow the young guys to learn and develop before being thrown in and would help Davis on the right side. Really want to see what Smith could do with more time--and no holes in the middle.

we have no idea if Kilgore is ready to start or that he will be any good at all. we did nothing to address the RG position last year and we can't make that mistake twice.

nothing wrong with drafting a stud RG if one is available or in bringing in a vet, for competition, if nothing else.
You should be more direct and say who you are talking about. Because most 49er fans I know can't be generalized along those comments. Gotta love the knowitall posters here who come in to set everyone straight.
Originally posted by longtime49erfan:
On the other hand, if people are focused more on the "tone" of the statement than the truth of the statement, then those same people are both fickle and hypocritical, because they really don't care about the issue raised; they would rather discount the truth (or lack) of the initial statement than address it honestly and directly.

I'm not sure the OP ought to care about what people like that think, especially if the OP genuinely believes that most 49er fans do not understand how to evaluate wide receivers (I am not saying I believe it but I do think it is worthy of discussion and debate, at the very least).

In that case, he is only stating what he believes to be true, and if people get upset at hearing the truth... well, that's just too bad! Speaking what you believe to be true is never condescending, even if some people take it that way. Content of expression is far more important than the tone in which it is delivered (though I'll also admit there are ways to make a message more palatable; even so, that ought not be the determining factor as to whether or not the message is heard).

Really? Okay.

No, you're right, Nick is so wise and intelligent, we can only hope he allows us to bask in the brightness of his gifted football mind more often!
We are truly blessed by his vast knowledge and cutting edge ideas that no one has the ability to comprehend but him.
It is truly an honor.
Teach us your message, oh great one, for we are just ignorant sheep waiting to be enlightened by our ingenious shepherd.

See what I did there... kind of annoying isn't it?
I just hope people see through this seemingly pretentious post and get "the message"...

Again, nothing. If nothing else you and I can agree that people are sleeping on Kilgore.
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
Originally posted by flow:
Crabtree hurts Smith more than Smith hurts Crabtree.

Laughable statement. The Browns game alone, Alex's errant throws cost Crabtree at least two touchdowns (three according to Eric Davis' analysis).

Really, how bout we take a little look at the games that counted the most. We had 2 playoff games that were 1 and done right?

How did Crabs do: Well in the Saints game, the dude drop 3 balls in a row, that were perfect passes.

In the NFC championship game, he never got seperation and didn't show up. They showed replays on NFL network showing how we had zero seperation by our wr's. Every analyst said after that game that we had to upgrade the wr position.

Now, the analyst may have been wrong, but then we did just go out and pick up Moss and Manningham! And I know you think the FO is just great cause you were all for them not moving when it came to Alex's contract.
Originally posted by miked1978:
Originally posted by Garcia:
Fleener + Davis = More Lethal version of Hernandez and Gronk.
And thats saying something.

You wont be able to cover our offense. Too many weapons.
Pick up LaMichael James in round 2 and we are set.

Gronk > Davis. Sorry but he is. Davis is probably a better athlete but Gronk has better hands and probably better route running ability. His records speak for themselves.

Hernandez > Fleener. This is only because nobody knows what Fleener will do in the pros.

Please don't pick up James in the 2nd. We need a power back.

Nuts on both accounts.

Gronk is Gronk because he has Tom Brady. The only TE I maight take over Davis right now is Jimmy Graham.

Fleener is MUCH better than Hernandez. Again....Brady.

This isn't a knock so much on Alex as it is a complimant to Brady.
Well. Fleener was unofficially timed by the Matts at his pro day between 4.42 and 4.50 in the 40. Maybe he doesn't even make to to 30.

Matt Maiocco ‏ @MaioccoCSN
I had Stanford TE Coby Fleener clocked at 4.42 on his first 40.

And 4.45 on Stanford TE Coby Fleener's second 40. Prediction: He's first TE drafted.

Matt Barrows ‏ @mattbarrows
My unofficial stopwatch had Coby Fleener at 4.44 and 4.50 in his 40-yard dash attempts.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Mar 22, 2012 at 12:09 PM ]
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Well. Fleener was unofficially timed by the Matts at his pro day between 4.42 and 4.50 in the 40. Maybe he doesn't even make to to 30.

And 4.45 on Stanford TE Coby Fleener's second 40. Prediction: He's first TE drafted.

My unofficial stopwatch had Coby Fleener at 4.44 and 4.50 in his 40-yard dash attempts.

Fingers crossed. Anyone want/need him before us?

Dammit... don't say that!
Oh well, receiver at 30 doesn't sound bad either.

Originally posted by NCommand:

Fingers crossed. Anyone want/need him before us?

I say Houston but Chicago might be interested...especially if Marshall gets suspended
Originally posted by rk1642:
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
Originally posted by flow:
Crabtree hurts Smith more than Smith hurts Crabtree.

Laughable statement. The Browns game alone, Alex's errant throws cost Crabtree at least two touchdowns (three according to Eric Davis' analysis).

Really, how bout we take a little look at the games that counted the most. We had 2 playoff games that were 1 and done right?

How did Crabs do: Well in the Saints game, the dude drop 3 balls in a row, that were perfect passes.

In the NFC championship game, he never got seperation and didn't show up. They showed replays on NFL network showing how we had zero seperation by our wr's. Every analyst said after that game that we had to upgrade the wr position.

Now, the analyst may have been wrong, but then we did just go out and pick up Moss and Manningham! And I know you think the FO is just great cause you were all for them not moving when it came to Alex's contract.

They also tried to get Manning. I don't see them shopping Crabtree.
You didn't read my post. Statistically, Manningham was awesome in 2010 and 2009. He's a #1 that had a bad year

I did read your post. He had a couple of decent years in an elite passing attack, which leads to decent numbers. If he was a number 1 who had a bad year he would have gotten a long term deal. I bet Josh Morgans contract pays out more than Manninghams will. Again, there is a reason for that.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DirtyP:
You didn't read my post. Statistically, Manningham was awesome in 2010 and 2009. He's a #1 that had a bad year

I did read your post. He had a couple of decent years in an elite passing attack, which leads to decent numbers. If he was a number 1 who had a bad year he would have gotten a long term deal. I bet Josh Morgans contract pays out more than Manninghams will. Again, there is a reason for that.

The reason is that Morgan's contract coming from Washington. Washington tends to pay to much.
Share 49ersWebzone