Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Good Read by Ray Ratto. 49ers QB is the Worst Job in America

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by aman49:
49er fans and WZers are a really whinny bunch when it comes to the QB. They expect him to be 50 / 50, 500 yards, 8 TD's, 0 Int's in every game. That's not realistic. Alex could have 3,500 yards, 23 TD's, 9 Int's this year and they would say he sucks. That's a pretty good year and a pretty good QB albeit not great. If he can win that's what matters. He was 13 - 3. But for KW's 2 muffs we would have been in the Super Bowl. Even the biggest haters have to admit that much.

Reasonable analysis of Alex is not appreciated. You either think Alex is God, or you think he is worse than Ryan Leaf. No other options are acceptable.

The truth is he is in between. And it's time both sides admitted that. He's not "Alex Leaf." He's improved every year under horrific circumstances and injuries and HC's throwing him under the bus. But he's not Drew Brees or Peyton or Eli either. I suspect he will be better in year #2 in the same system for the first time in his life. Why would that make him worse?

I've said repeatedly that he is a middle of pack QB. Maybe 15th-16th best QB out of 32 starters.

He was ranked 9th. I think you could make an argument that'a about where he truly is. Low interceptions, good decisions, NFC Championship game (made it that far). He's by far not the worst QB in the game he is portrayed to be. He's easily better than 20 + QB's out there IMO. Some are very young QB's or interception kings (gunslingers). He's better than a lot of those. There are a lot of teams with worse QB's than him.

I see no reason why in year #2 in the same system he can't improve more. If elite QB's are top 3 or 4 and great QB's are top 7 or 8 or whatever he's not currently in that group. But maybe "good QB's" or "higher end game managers" are 9 - 15 or something. The Saints game in the playoffs shows more than game management to me.

You have him ranked a little higher than I do, but I respect your opinion.
Plain and simple, Joe Montana ruined it for every 49er QB that followed him. Including the great Steve Young...until he won the SB in '94. Now it's SB or bust in San Francisco. Just the way it is...
You lost me at "Good read by Ray Ratto"....
Getting paid millions of dollars to play a game for a living. Yes, clearly one of the worst jobs in America.
Originally posted by yoshi:
Originally posted by rickdawg52:
Ray Ratto= Worst sports columnist in america...i turn off the tv when he comes on Csn Bay Area

Worst is Cohn. Ratto is second worst by a narrow margin IMO.

I have learned to appreciate Ratto, but admit it is an acquired taste. When I started to realize he is a natural born smart ass and almost always trying to crack a joke rather than give straight up reporting on sports, I learned not to take what he says too seriously & just read to see if there is something funny in there or not.
Jets starting QB job starting to look a lot worse than 49ers.
Originally posted by djfullshred:
I have learned to appreciate Ratto, but admit it is an acquired taste. When I started to realize he is a natural born smart ass and almost always trying to crack a joke rather than give straight up reporting on sports, I learned not to take what he says too seriously & just read to see if there is something funny in there or not.

And after your done reading, your disappointed because there was nothing funny.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
He was ranked 9th. I think you could make an argument that'a about where he truly is. Low interceptions, good decisions, NFC Championship game (made it that far). He's by far not the worst QB in the game he is portrayed to be. He's easily better than 20 + QB's out there IMO. Some are very young QB's or interception kings (gunslingers). He's better than a lot of those. There are a lot of teams with worse QB's than him.

I see no reason why in year #2 in the same system he can't improve more. If elite QB's are top 3 or 4 and great QB's are top 7 or 8 or whatever he's not currently in that group. But maybe "good QB's" or "higher end game managers" are 9 - 15 or something. The Saints game in the playoffs shows more than game management to me.
He was ranked 9th in QB rating which his 17-5 td to int ratio heavily influenced, that doesn't make him an overall top ten QB. He was 17th in yards per attempt and 27th in yards per game. The ultra conservative play lead to that high rating, it also led to a poor 3rd down conversion percentage when it mattered.
Originally posted by BobS:

He was ranked 9th in QB rating which his 17-5 td to int ratio heavily influenced, that doesn't make him an overall top ten QB. He was 17th in yards per attempt and 27th in yards per game. The ultra conservative play lead to that high rating, it also led to a poor 3rd down conversion percentage when it mattered.

The flip side of the argument is that's the way we played and won all season long. That's how we got to 13 - 3. And we were winning the NFC Championship game in the 4th quarter at home. Until Kyle Williams decided it would be a good idea to fumble the PR in the 4th quarter and in overtime also....
Originally posted by djfullshred:
I have learned to appreciate Ratto, but admit it is an acquired taste.

what does it taste like
You can't compare ' leverage to sex ' unless you have experienced both !
Originally posted by SundayTicket:
Drew Brees 657 Pass attempts 5.4k yards
Alex Smith 445 Pass Attempts 3.1k yards

we were 31st in passing ATTEMPTS and people wonder why our passing yards was in the high 20's in the league.... if alex wouldve passed as much as drew brees this last year he wouldve been at something a little over 4.5K+Yards and 25+Td's and thats in a 1st year offense brand new coaching scheme, and Swain/Crabs/Williams as our WR's...

I love this becasue the saints were a rushing team right??? the niners were a passing team right?? SMH when will people learn the coach calls teh plays not alex if we through 25 times a game and drew throws 65 DUHHHHH he will have more yards!!! This is why the RAt write this and people call us WHINERS
[ Edited by SY9er8 on Mar 21, 2012 at 3:33 PM ]