There are 209 users in the forums

Baalke and Harbaugh proved they are great coach and GM

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by defenderDX:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
They proved that they have no class. This was handled horribly

I wouldnt go along the lines of horrible................... how exactly were they supposed to handle it? they were def. smart in keeping it low away from the media for as long as they did.

How about not hiding the fact that they were interested? none of they other teams that made an attempt to bring in manning felt the need to hide it, that's the part that i had a problem with. Going after Manning was the right thing to do, when you have a chance to sign a HOF QB you take it (even though i worried about age and Neck), but to be secretive? unprofessional IMHO.
Originally posted by susweel:
Maddog should be our GM.
No thank you, think I will stick with Baalke.
Originally posted by LoboLtnLvr49er:
Originally posted by StOnEy333:

Pointing your finger at others anonymously on the internet claiming they have no class is also a sign of no class.

give him a break..he's just upset that we took aldon smith over jj watt
[ Edited by DonnieDarko on Mar 20, 2012 at 6:16 PM ]
Originally posted by ninerfan818:
Originally posted by Psinex:

Pointing your finger at others anonymously on the internet claiming they have no class is also a sign of no class.

Everyone knows who MadDog is from his comprehensive pre-draft rankings, so I'd hardly say it's anonymous. He knows the weight of his words, and he didn't mince them here. I think that Baalke is the one responsible for going after Manning. He's never been supportive outright of Alex. Supposedly they were trying to trade for Roethelisberger in 2010, presumably right around the time of his rape accusations. Goes to show you, Baalke doesn't care much about a player's character, since Alex is one of the most standup guys in the NFL.

I am with Baalke to a pint. Character is important overall but it sure as hell won't win you a ring.

Oh yeah? Give it a couple more seasons if this is really Baalke's M.O. Accused rapists, drunk drivers, and dealers. From the look of it, Baalke was counting on the Steelers distancing themselves from Big Ben (which they didn't). The Broncos let go of Perrish Cox, and was out of the league for a year. Surprise, surprise, Baalke acquires him. Pretty soon we'll be like the Bengals with Chris Henry and Pacman Jones. Ten players arrested in 12 months. You really want a team like that? I'm already having a hard time with the Perrish Cox signing, I don't want low lifes like that on my beloved team.
If doing everything you can to win rings gets you called unclassy I'm perfectly fine with that description for Harbaugh/ Balke.

The situation was what it was. Peyton Manning > Alex Smith.

Still it's great to have Alex back and nobody would even be thinking about calling us Super Bowl contenders without Harbaugh and Balke so get off your high horses.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Mar 20, 2012 at 6:17 PM ]
Good Job to Baalke and especially Marathe for making sure we didn't overpay/over-extend Alex Smith.

Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Old news, but was just watching NFLN, and Peyton Manning confirmed to Rich that he INDEED visited our training facility at one point (the one thing nobody could ever confirm), and Manning loved the way we handled the entire situation in the shadows (until Mort saw us at Duke which was nobody's fault on 'our' end).

-Despite the outcome, I still take this as a huge compliment to our organization, and I love the way Baalke & Harbaugh do things.

Two years ago there were so many leaks (rats) it almost made you question the organization, and it's faulty PR department (before Bob Lange took over).

So embarrassing when the Nolan firing and Martz not returning thing leaked out

Everyone knows who MadDog is from his comprehensive pre-draft rankings, so I'd hardly say it's anonymous. He knows the weight of his words, and he didn't mince them here. I think that Baalke is the one responsible for going after Manning. He's never been supportive outright of Alex. Supposedly they were trying to trade for Roethelisberger in 2010, presumably right around the time of his rape accusations. Goes to show you, Baalke doesn't care much about a player's character, since Alex is one of the most standup guys in the NFL.

I am with Baalke to a pint. Character is important overall but it sure as hell won't win you a ring.

If character guys were all you needed the NFL would have a much better reputation. Baalke has a job, its to facilitate Harbaugh and give him the talent to win while managing a budget. He has his opinions like Grumpy puppy and does what he feels necessary based off those opinions. He put together 2 consecutive amazing drafts, found a diamond in Rogers, stared down Goldson when he wanted to be overpaid, paired the leagues best middle linebacker with a young probowler, gave us the sack master we've been craving... and brought back all 11 players on one of the NFL's best D's. All while maintaining enough of a cushion in our cap that we had the luxury of almost signing one of the best QBs to ever play the game. Now he is turning his focus to offense...all haters can just STFU and enjoy the ride cause its gonna be a fun year.

Oh yeah? Give it a couple more seasons if this is really Baalke's M.O. Accused rapists, drunk drivers, and dealers. From the look of it, Baalke was counting on the Steelers distancing themselves from Big Ben (which they didn't). The Broncos let go of Perrish Cox, and was out of the league for a year. Surprise, surprise, Baalke acquires him. Pretty soon we'll be like the Bengals with Chris Henry and Pacman Jones. Ten players arrested in 12 months. You really want a team like that? I'm already having a hard time with the Perrish Cox signing, I don't want low lifes like that on my beloved team.
and arent we working out Jerome Simpson?!
Originally posted by kronik:
Once again, you proved YOU have no class. What a joke, bwahahaha

Why attack Maddog for simply stating his opinion? Just because u disagree with him doesn't give u the right to be an a*****e. At least you handled this situation with class. oh wait.

Originally posted by DynastyPart2:
Originally posted by susweel:
Maddog should be our GM.
No thank you, think I will stick with Baalke.

No Way!! Maddog wouldn't have picked Aldon Smith!
I agree with MadDog. The handling of this matter was awkward and avoidable - even amaturish. After all, Baalke is really new at this GM thing and has a great deal to learn. Unfortunately, he won the "NFL Executive of the Year Award" and probably thinks he knows it all already. Things went very swimmingly last year - almost too good. Frankly, things kind of broke our way a bit last year.

How to better handle this? They should have been straight up and open with Alex when they decided to make a try at Manning, and given him a chance to explore his options earlier when they were exploring theirs. When Manning spurned the 49ers, they should have increased their offer to Alex in light of a number of things, one of which was to send a signal to the rest of the team that Alex is truely valued. This way the team will be more inclined to be enthused about the coming year. Instead, they have effectively told the world that they do not think that Alex is very good, and we will see if that has any adverse effect down the road.

There is no doubt that Harbaugh and Baalke are a vast improvement over the previous cast of bumblers, but they are not perfect and each has a little bit to learn yet. Remember, one can argue that Harbaugh lost the NFCC game when he/STs coach failed to instruct Kyle to be more protective of the ball, especially after watching him be reckless twice before the third one put a stake through our heart. The NYG organization was smart enough to order their KR/PR to go down as soon as they fielded the wet ball. Yes, I said it - I think Harbaugh was outcoached that game.
Originally posted by Bootlegger:
Good Job to Baalke and especially Marathe for making sure we didn't overpay/over-extend Alex Smith.

He should of just sign the 3yr deal they offered before free agency, Alex is a FOOL!
Harbaugh and Baalke are? If they are O' So Great then #18 would have been inked to a deal and handing him a a Red Jersey!
Share 49ersWebzone