LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 241 users in the forums

What do the 49ers do with their remaining cap space?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Lets extend Goldson, Bowmon, or Aldon Smith nowww!!!!!!!!! Forget wasting money on Ginn lets go get a returner in the draft:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/954203-2012-nfl-draft-6-prospects-who-could-be-the-next-devin-hester
Originally posted by Magzarillious:
Lets extend Goldson, Bowmon, or Aldon Smith nowww!!!!!!!!! Forget wasting money on Ginn lets go get a returner in the draft:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/954203-2012-nfl-draft-6-prospects-who-could-be-the-next-devin-hester

wtf?

extend aldon smith? really?
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
wtf?

extend aldon smith? really?

I know... let's extend our 1st round pick in the 2013 draft 1st. It's usually not realistic to extend a guy more than 1 or maybe 2 years away from his contract expiring. Mainly because there is enough going on and other guys to deal with 1st. Although, it would save money but I think they worry about injuries. Plus you don't know how a player will be performing 2-3 years from now. Goldson would be the 1st guy we look to extend. Maybe Andy Lee a well.

Anyways, if Schwatz signs the only other free agent I want to get is Ginn although the ball is in his court. After that maybe a few camp fodder guys or maybe a player from roster cuts later on. I'm happy with our free agency even though there is a long ways to go.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Mar 21, 2012 at 11:57 AM ]
Get Mike Wallace and Geoff Schwartz.

I might be wrong, but I think, under the new CBA that a team cannot extend a "rookies contract",[or first year player's] untill after their first 3 yr term plays out. Or 4 years if theiy are a top 15 chioce.
Originally posted by ninerboy2:
Get Mike Wallace and Geoff Schwartz.

the best idea IMO
The team doesn't have to use every last dollar! Remember 49ers do need money to sign all the draft picks.
People who want to extend Bowman now are trippin! How would that save money? Bowman is already cheap as hell! Extending him means paying him big money which would be a bigger cap hit this year than the measly 450K he's getting. Some people..........
Originally posted by highway49:

I might be wrong, but I think, under the new CBA that a team cannot extend a "rookies contract",[or first year player's] untill after their first 3 yr term plays out. Or 4 years if theiy are a top 15 chioce.

Correct. Won't be eligible for an extension until 2014 offseason. The team must exercise option for 2015 by end of year 3, beginning of year 4's new league year.
Originally posted by Howlett49:
The team doesn't have to use every last dollar! Remember 49ers do need money to sign all the draft picks.

that`s true. but how much many need team to sing all of their draft picks? and how much money have the team under cap? i think 49ers could sing Schwartz at least.

People who want to extend Bowman now are trippin! How would that save money? Bowman is already cheap as hell! Extending him means paying him big money which would be a bigger cap hit this year than the measly 450K he's getting. Some people..........

yeaah! 49ers could use franchise-tag to him later - in the last year of his contract.
Originally posted by beholden87:

that`s true. but how much many need team to sing all of their draft picks? and how much money have the team under cap? i think 49ers could sing Schwartz at least.

Yeah but not Schwartz, Wallace, and all the draft picks. Even if they could, money owed for guys like Wallace would put strain on the cap for future seasons.
We'll sign an OG and probably a few more ST/camp fodder candidates, keep a stash for the draft, then hold onto the rest while working on a long term deal for Goldson and approaching FA next year.

We don't have enough to go after Wallace, and there's little room for upgrades elsewhere, so let's just be content that we're going into the draft with a better roster than the team that was 3 points away from the Super Bowl.
Sign Schwartz and hopefully bring back Ginn. Then I'd like to see Andy Lee extended and Goldson's long term deal comes next IMO
Originally posted by beholden87:

yeaah! 49ers could use franchise-tag to him later - in the last year of his contract.

That would be better than trying to extend him while he's cheap. I just don't see Bowman on the roster after his contract is up. 49ers would be paying 2 MLB top money. I like the franchise tag idea because if he gets signed by another team they would owe 49ers a 1st rounder or 2 depending on the tender.

AB knows more about this than I do.
Share 49ersWebzone