LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 287 users in the forums

What do the 49ers do with their remaining cap space?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Tempt Drew Brees?
  • Jiks
Originally posted by ninerfan818:
Tempt Drew Brees?

Tempt Drew Brees?

If 36 year old coming off 4 neck surgeries got 5 years 96 million a 34 year old healthy Drew Brees would get 7 years 140 million.
Hopefully sign a RG to protect Alex Smith
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Numbers still unknown as Manningham's deal hasn't been signed, so that will take away a few million. Then Schwartz would be in the range of 1-2M a yr, Alex should be 5M this year. 3M for rooks. That leaves us 6M under.

BreakdownI
Manningham- 2M
Alex- 5M
Schwartz- 2M
Rookies- 3M

Then we can cut Haralson, save 2.75M, and use that on Ginn, but not likely happening now.

If we have to cut Haralson to sign ginn then do it. Confident that the FO Can replace Haralson in the draft.
Not sure anyone in the draft can step in and produce like ginn straight away.
[ Edited by Aussie49ah on Mar 21, 2012 at 9:53 PM ]
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Tempt Drew Brees?

Yah, offer the Saints Alex Smith and a s**t load of draft picks. Then turn off the PS3 and eat a sandwich.
http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2012/03/the-49ers-inquired-about-mike-wallace-but.html

The 49ers inquires about Mike Wallace but...Look the link on the top of my post.
Originally posted by backontop:
Hopefully sign a RG to protect Alex Smith

Completely agree - a talented, experienced RG would complete our OL and get us that much further this upcoming season. Buffalo has a surplus of talent on the OL, particularly at the G position. Below in bold are two top rated guards from Buffalo that are available, although they're both RFAs. I'm just not sold on Kilgore taking over yet with no NFL experience or taking another guard in the first round and expecting that pick to jump right in to solidify our very good, improving OL. The game is won in the trenches, and you've got to have a great OL with some experience in it. We're that close to being a Super Bowl team...a very good RG away, IMO.

Here's info on Buffalo's RFA guards from a free agency blog:

There are two young OG's that the Buffalo Bills currently have on a RFA tender. They are Kraig Urbik and Chad Rinehart. Both are younger guys, at 26 years old, but both are incredibly underrated and just coming into their primes. According to our friends at Pro Football Focus (@ProFootballFocus for you twitter heads), both Urbik and Rinehart were among the top 10 guards (with at least 200 snaps) in pass blocking efficiency. In fact, Urbik ranked #1 and Rinehart #4. Combined, Urbik and Rinehart allowed only 12 pressures in 785 snaps. I spoke a bit with Pro Football Focus today about the OG's, and was informed that it would take a 3rd rounder for either guard. Buffalo may not be able to keep both of them.
Originally posted by beholden87:
http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2012/03/the-49ers-inquired-about-mike-wallace-but.html

The 49ers inquires about Mike Wallace but...Look the link on the top of my post.

Fitzgerald money? Oh hell no!
Originally posted by LoboLtnLvr49er:
Fitzgerald money? Oh hell no!

Ditto. It's disgusting some of the demands that certain players have. Fitzgerald has been at the top since he first stepped into the league. It took him 7 years to get a deal like that. And the sad part is, if Wallace were an unrestricted free agent, some team would probably be willing to pay that price. This is the kind of thing that drives up the price for players. Not because they earned it, but because 2nd tier guys (to be first tier, you have to do it year in and year out), get 1st tier money, causing the salaries for everyone at the position to go up.

Wallace

Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:
Completely agree - a talented, experienced RG would complete our OL and get us that much further this upcoming season. Buffalo has a surplus of talent on the OL, particularly at the G position. Below in bold are two top rated guards from Buffalo that are available, although they're both RFAs. I'm just not sold on Kilgore taking over yet with no NFL experience or taking another guard in the first round and expecting that pick to jump right in to solidify our very good, improving OL. The game is won in the trenches, and you've got to have a great OL with some experience in it. We're that close to being a Super Bowl team...a very good RG away, IMO.

There are two young OG's that the Buffalo Bills currently have on a RFA tender. They are Kraig Urbik and Chad Rinehart. Both are younger guys, at 26 years old, but both are incredibly underrated and just coming into their primes. According to our friends at Pro Football Focus (@ProFootballFocus for you twitter heads), both Urbik and Rinehart were among the top 10 guards (with at least 200 snaps) in pass blocking efficiency. In fact, Urbik ranked #1 and Rinehart #4. Combined, Urbik and Rinehart allowed only 12 pressures in 785 snaps. I spoke a bit with Pro Football Focus today about the OG's, and was informed that it would take a 3rd rounder for either guard. Buffalo may not be able to keep both of them.

I like this idea. Giving up a third for a proven starting guard is a very good option. That way they can spend their first on either Fleener or a WR and have a lot more options.
Originally posted by hohbie:
Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:

I like this idea. Giving up a third for a proven starting guard is a very good option. That way they can spend their first on either Fleener or a WR and have a lot more options.

I've been looking at those two as well. Not a bad thought at all.
Wouldn't hurt to inquire to see what price they are looking for. Buffalo had like 12.9 after Williams signing but they added Anderson. So they should have like 10+ left and then for them maybe 4 for rookies. You would think they would be able to match most offers for those guys.
Share 49ersWebzone