There are 141 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

What do the 49ers do with their remaining cap space?

Everette Brown








Originally posted by jvangeystel:
By my math we have 18 million left after Alex signs i'm assuming we will have around 10 million. Is that enough for another free agent addition? I personally was hoping for Mike Wallace, can we, should we still go after him?

Yes we should make an offer. He'll cost us a #1 pick. So we should Trade Crabtree and our 2nd round pick to
maybe to Houston or Dallas since his @$$ would rather be in Texas anyway. That way we can bolster our WR core
and have Wallace, Manningham, Moss and a pick like Fleener, Hill, or Sanu.

Also we could get a guard like DeCastro and that spot would be sealed up for years. Hopefully we don't get another Chilo
Originally posted by vamphunter23:
Everette Brown









I will never make fun of Brown. Without him, we dont get Iupati....
We are not going after Wallace. The money that he would want to sign for multiple years plus a first rounder is to expensive and not the niners m.o. Manning was different. He is a QB and touches the ball every off. snap. You don't know how Wallace will do with the niners, the niners will sign F.A. let them prove they are worth it then pay them.

If we go after Wallace then after next year it'll take away money from resigning Bowman and Goldson. Build thru the draft. Keep core players find surprises like Rogers and resign him if he proves to be worthy. We will probably sign a guard, though I think they may wait till after the draft when more cuts happen after teams release players if they get the players they want in the draft. Remember we are a run first team and Wallace and the money he commands would probably be a waste in the organizations eyes. Unless they get rid of Crabtree. to asuage some of the cap money along with Harrelson (sp?). I think the niners are going to draft some receivers in the later rounds of the draft like the 3rd and sixth or seventh and develop them. Maybe as high as the second.

Going to take a wait and see what the niners do. Probably not any sexy moves, more blue collar moves.
I agree that we should resign our own players before they get too esxpensive for example Bowman, T. Brown and Dashon. One thing to remember is next year I believe the salary cap goes up due to t.v contracts.
OK, Of our own guys. I point this out because we have a stated and proven track record of rewarding our own. Within reason. So here is the remainder of "our own" with what I think we will do.

We have:
1-Ginn (who supposedly has a $2.5M dollar offer on the table.
2-Edwards-already a goner
3-Larry Grant-Someone might make an offer late in FA (not much action on LBs especially with Tulloch in limbo) which leaves a hole for the draft or FA. it should be a wash on the salary though.
4-Chilo-we might sign this guy at a basement level if noone else pans out by camp.
5-Reggie Smith-To be honest we probably make an offer here. He's a good player and solid depth.
6-Bret Swain-Good luck dude.
7-Madieu Williams-If Reggie Smith gets signed elsewhere we pay him as backup.

Bottom line. By our stated policy of "taking care of our own" We are likely going to try and sign Ginn and Smith. Ginn costs us $2.5 maybe a bit more if we are serious. Smith made 750K last year. So that's realisticly 3.25M maye 3.5M in cap space.
Rookies will cost something. Don't expect anything monumental.

I know people want wallace but there are several good directions to go in Rd.1. TE and G seem most likely at this point. I also think we might consider a RB. There are a few guys worth a shot out there. We must address guard in FA or high in the draft.
[ Edited by VA49er on Mar 20, 2012 at 9:58 PM ]
Originally posted by WildBill:
We are not going after Wallace. The money that he would want to sign for multiple years plus a first rounder is to expensive and not the niners m.o. Manning was different. He is a QB and touches the ball every off. snap. You don't know how Wallace will do with the niners, the niners will sign F.A. let them prove they are worth it then pay them.

If we go after Wallace then after next year it'll take away money from resigning Bowman and Goldson. Build thru the draft. Keep core players find surprises like Rogers and resign him if he proves to be worthy. We will probably sign a guard, though I think they may wait till after the draft when more cuts happen after teams release players if they get the players they want in the draft. Remember we are a run first team and Wallace and the money he commands would probably be a waste in the organizations eyes. Unless they get rid of Crabtree. to asuage some of the cap money along with Harrelson (sp?). I think the niners are going to draft some receivers in the later rounds of the draft like the 3rd and sixth or seventh and develop them. Maybe as high as the second.

Going to take a wait and see what the niners do. Probably not any sexy moves, more blue collar moves.

Your train of thought is correct I think.

We don't pay market value for anybody. We havn't for our own so we will not go after Wallace. We will keep trying to fill voids with 2nd and 3rd tier guys thinking they will mostly work out like it did for us last year.

If so, the FO will continue to look very smart indeed but if we strart missing on most of these players and our own guys start to leave, they will soon find themselfs in the dumpster.
Originally posted by VA49er:
OK, Of our own guys. I point this out because we have a stated and proven track record of rewarding our own. Within reason. So here is the remainder of "our own" with what I think we will do.

We have:
1-Ginn (who supposedly has a $2.5M dollar offer on the table.
2-Edwards-already a goner
3-Larry Grant-Someone might make an offer late in FA (not much action on LBs especially with Tulloch in limbo) which leaves a hole for the draft or FA. it should be a wash on the salary though.
4-Chilo-we might sign this guy at a basement level if noone else pans out by camp.
5-Reggie Smith-To be honest we probably make an offer here. He's a good player and solid depth.
6-Bret Swain-Good luck dude.
7-Madieu Williams-If Reggie Smith gets signed elsewhere we pay him as backup.

Bottom line. By our stated policy of "taking care of our own" We are likely going to try and sign Ginn and Smith. Ginn costs us $2.5 maybe a bit more if we are serious. Smith made 750K last year. So that's realisticly 3.25M maye 3.5M in cap space.
Rookies will cost something. Don't expect anything monumental.

I know people want wallace but there are several good directions to go in Rd.1. TE and G seem most likely at this point. I also think we might consider a RB. There are a few guys worth a shot out there. We must address guard in FA or high in the draft.

With the way things are going we will have the shot at drafting BPA, our biggest needs are WR, RG and Returner. Depth at OLB, ILB and S are also up there but minor, not needed with a First 3 rounds pick.

Also Tulloch finally signed, re-signing with Detroit. I beginning to think the 7th round tender was fine, he isn;t gonna get much attention, and won;t get a big deal. He hasn't been a starter, yes he played great when Willis was hurt.
Originally posted by VA49er:
OK, Of our own guys. I point this out because we have a stated and proven track record of rewarding our own. Within reason. So here is the remainder of "our own" with what I think we will do.

We have:
1-Ginn (who supposedly has a $2.5M dollar offer on the table.
2-Edwards-already a goner
3-Larry Grant-Someone might make an offer late in FA (not much action on LBs especially with Tulloch in limbo) which leaves a hole for the draft or FA. it should be a wash on the salary though.
4-Chilo-we might sign this guy at a basement level if noone else pans out by camp.
5-Reggie Smith-To be honest we probably make an offer here. He's a good player and solid depth.
6-Bret Swain-Good luck dude.
7-Madieu Williams-If Reggie Smith gets signed elsewhere we pay him as backup.

Bottom line. By our stated policy of "taking care of our own" We are likely going to try and sign Ginn and Smith. Ginn costs us $2.5 maybe a bit more if we are serious. Smith made 750K last year. So that's realisticly 3.25M maye 3.5M in cap space.
Rookies will cost something. Don't expect anything monumental.

I know people want wallace but there are several good directions to go in Rd.1. TE and G seem most likely at this point. I also think we might consider a RB. There are a few guys worth a shot out there. We must address guard in FA or high in the draft.

Tulloch resigned with Det for 5 years.
The Eagles traded for Demeco Ryans ( LB)
GB is negotiating with Manny Lawson

That takes away the 3 teams that were more desperate for a LB. Especially Philly.

I think Grant stays.
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:
Re-sign Chilo Rachal
Sign Goldson, Bowman and Aldon Smith to deals that keep them here for awhile
Originally posted by Bryant4everYoung:
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:
Re-sign Chilo Rachal

is that from the Al Pacino classic "Cruising?"
Yezzir
Originally posted by WildBill:
We are not going after Wallace. The money that he would want to sign for multiple years plus a first rounder is to expensive and not the niners m.o. Manning was different. He is a QB and touches the ball every off. snap. You don't know how Wallace will do with the niners, the niners will sign F.A. let them prove they are worth it then pay them.

If we go after Wallace then after next year it'll take away money from resigning Bowman and Goldson. Build thru the draft. Keep core players find surprises like Rogers and resign him if he proves to be worthy. We will probably sign a guard, though I think they may wait till after the draft when more cuts happen after teams release players if they get the players they want in the draft. Remember we are a run first team and Wallace and the money he commands would probably be a waste in the organizations eyes. Unless they get rid of Crabtree. to asuage some of the cap money along with Harrelson (sp?). I think the niners are going to draft some receivers in the later rounds of the draft like the 3rd and sixth or seventh and develop them. Maybe as high as the second.

Going to take a wait and see what the niners do. Probably not any sexy moves, more blue collar moves.

The Manning situation is worse... Yea, he touches the ball every snap, but the guy is one snap away from being a paraplegic. Why would you even waste your time on a guy like that, especially with our offensive line. If we are a run first team, there is no need for Manning, considering the ball will be handed off the majority of the time, right?

Wallace, on the other hand, you know exactly what you'd be getting: A deep threat from a Super Bowl winning team that has the same beat 'em up mentality as we have.
Originally posted by NinerNickJ:
The Manning situation is worse... Yea, he touches the ball every snap, but the guy is one snap away from being a paraplegic. Why would you even waste your time on a guy like that, especially with our offensive line. If we are a run first team, there is no need for Manning, considering the ball will be handed off the majority of the time, right?

Wallace, on the other hand, you know exactly what you'd be getting: A deep threat from a Super Bowl winning team that has the same beat 'em up mentality as we have.

They.are.not.going.to.sign.Mike.Wallace


I think some people are still in denial about what kind of team this is, this will never be the Saints playing "chuck and duck", they'll be ball-control oriented, aggressive defenses, smart play all-around, more conservative than some of the high flying acts around the league, if you aren't down with that then maybe its time to hop up off the bandwagon.