There are 110 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Attribute of Baalke that is quite unique

There is one risk with this strategy. In 2011 teams didn't have much film on JH schemes, and those schemes were developing as the season went on until they seemed to hit a plateau in the last 5 games.

IF you rely TOO heavily on inserting and developing young talent, you schemes may become too simple and predictable to other teams.

On the plus side, management and staff seem committed to keeping the core group together which makes it much easier to plug a few new pieces (young or old) into the systems successfully.

So 2012 will be a very revealing year for the 49ers. We need to see if the JH schemes develop and remain successful, and then developing talent and plugging it in over several years will tell if this is as successful as it looks today.
Originally posted by KowboyKiller:
I wonder who Baalke would've drafted in the second in 2010 instead of Mays if Singletary hadn't thrown his weight around. What a waste, and Singletary was the only person who wanted him.

The call was ultimately Baalke's, so in the end, it was Baalke's pick.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by KowboyKiller:
I wonder who Baalke would've drafted in the second in 2010 instead of Mays if Singletary hadn't thrown his weight around. What a waste, and Singletary was the only person who wanted him.

No. At the time, Baalke was acting GM, with the "interim" title only. Singletary was HC, coming off an 8-8 season, and appeared to be the man in charge, running the show.

There appears to be little question that Singletary was the one enamored with the physical abilities of Taylor Mays, the one who insisted on taking him in the second round.

You're just looking for anything possible to use to criticise Baalke. Why not save it until there really is something?
Very good post
Originally posted by andes14:
Originally posted by BrianGO:
I think part of the reason is that most players are willing to give at least a 10% hometown discount. Therefore, you will always pay more for a big free agent from another team.

That doesn't make any sense because the 10% hometown discount would be applicable for the 31 other teams so it cancels out and is irrelevant.

If you are playing for a s**tting team and young then you want the money, as you get older you hate losing and want a chance at a championship. Other things that come into play-you want to start and/or be the star, hate the system or coach you had, want a fresh start. When going after the free agent or trade you go with the guys that have something to prove and want a championship guys like Rogers, Cox and now Moss. Walsh did it with guys like Hacksaw and Matt Millen etc, guys that some on this forum would throw a tantrum and go why are going after this old guy, he ain't hardly got anything left in the tank etc etc. It was later done with D. Sanders.

You have your young core guys that you sign 5-6 years, then surround them with people that get 1-3 years cause that is all they have or are not sure yet. That is what the niners are doing. The only thing difference is that Walsh would keep b/u's that could play and Eddie would pay them. Someone like Flynn would never see the light of freedom unless cut.

The other thing about Baalke and JH is that they are thinking ahead with the QB-just as the packers had done and the Patriots before them, If Alex reups for the next three years and proves himself, sometime during that three years Kaep will prove himself a little like Flynn and Cassell, because will have to sit for whatever reason (injury or we are blowing out an opponent or have the division/playoff position wrapped up). If he flashes we trade him, with tolz in the wings as the backup or eventual starter or vice versa. There are always QB hungry and desparate teams. That is why I believe we don't bother with getting a veteran QB last year.
Originally posted by jreff22:
Bowman is next

I'd like to agree but I don't think Baalke will pay a Willis like contract to Bowman. I think there are other teams out there willing to pay a lot for Bowman.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:

That is what you want to say, I know you don't see things the way he does and for the most part have disagreed with most of his decisions. However Baalke has shown he works with the coach, Baalke doesn't strike me like some GM's who will draft who they think fits the system without regards to a coaches input. Either way one can see strength and weaknesses in both methods.

The fact that the new regime didn't want him and Baalke was so willing to let him go so easily without hiding the fact that Mays was not wanted shows that Mays was not really his choice. so I will singletary for this, look at how MS handled himself.
Originally posted by Howlett49:
Bowman is next

I'd like to agree but I don't think Baalke will pay a Willis like contract to Bowman. I think there are other teams out there willing to pay a lot for Bowman.

if we don't re-sign Bowman we will trade him before his contract is up, and we will swim in a sea of draft picks!
Originally posted by HessianDud:
Bowman is next

if we don't re-sign Bowman we will trade him before his contract is up, and we will swim in a sea of draft picks!

If thats the case look for the 49ers to draft another ILB this year. Maybe not round 1 or 2 but another 3rd round gem like Bowman. 49ers could be a LB factory for future 1st rounders from other teams!
and the last big money guy we brought in..Justin Smith worked out perfect
Originally posted by matt49er:
and the last big money guy we brought in..Justin Smith worked out perfect

Ya, not saying there's not exceptions. But for the most part, the value placed on a certain level of production done for another team SHOULD be lower than the value placed on that same level of production done for your team. We just caught lightning in a bottle with Justin. He wasn't THAT great in Cincy (he was a 4-3 end with them where as with us he is a 3-4 end and 4-3 tackle which are definitely better roles for him) but we got lucky that he transformed into a savage in the latter stages of his career.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Bowman is next

Let me see if I understand this. Bowman is all pro player, but Baalke, who was executive of the year last year, would rather lose Bowman than pay him accordingly.

Since I think Baalke is intelligent, not stupid, I seriously doubt that Bowman gets anywhere near free agency.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9erReign:
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
nolanterry era built this team

Yep this is a team built in Nolan/McCloughan's vision. Big lineman, power run game, great defense. Baalke really hasn't done much, greatest thing he did was get a damn good coach. The team already had the talent just had terrible coaching. And his Bowman pick was nice.

Selecting talent and building a team are not the same thing.

Baalke and Harbaugh built the team.

The took the existing talent, moved it around a bit, let some go, and added some good players in the draft and free agency.

Then in a shortened off-season, understanding the importance of the three different units, they welded that amalgamation of old and new players into a solid team.

In their first year of their plan, they transformed a 6-10 team into a team that went 14-4.
Originally posted by oldninerdude:
No. At the time, Baalke was acting GM, with the "interim" title only. Singletary was HC, coming off an 8-8 season, and appeared to be the man in charge, running the show.

There appears to be little question that Singletary was the one enamored with the physical abilities of Taylor Mays, the one who insisted on taking him in the second round.

You're just looking for anything possible to use to criticise Baalke. Why not save it until there really is something?

It's his one and only critique that he can actually use (although he uses many), since "technically" it cant be disputed since Baalke was the GM. Any rational person not blinded by jealousy knows who made that call and the circumstances surrounding the pick.
[ Edited by Hoovtrain on Mar 15, 2012 at 11:36 PM ]
Bowman is next

Willis is a repeating pro bowler, Bowman has only started for 1 year. Bowman will get paid and will be next to Willis for 10 years.