There are 162 users in the forums

Attribute of Baalke that is quite unique

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I just sorta realized this, I don't know how many of you guys have as well - but all the guys on our team with big contracts are guys that have earned it WITH US (Gore, VD, Staley, Willis, Brooks, Rogers, RayMac). When we add external players, it's always on modest deals and when we give out big money, it's always to internal players. Makes sense, you wanna make sure a guy plays well FOR YOU before you give him big time bucks. That's why I guess we can probably (not definitely I suppose, but probably) rule out Mike Wallace or any of those guys - because the value we assign to a player who had a certain level of production with another team is way lower than the value we'd assign to a player with that same level of production, but for us. Obviously, not all GM's think like this, so other teams' offers for a guy like Wallace would likely blow ours out of the water.
[ Edited by andes14 on Mar 13, 2012 at 11:38 PM ]
Bowman is next
and it's mostly guys on defense, which makes sense
even guys like delanie walker, parys haralson and tarrel brown were extended before their rookie deals came up, not huge expensive deals mind you, but i'm a huge fan of extending the guys u draft, kinda validates that u know what your doing at the draft
Originally posted by crabman82:
even guys like delanie walker, parys haralson and tarrel brown were extended before their rookie deals came up, not huge expensive deals mind you, but i'm a huge fan of extending the guys u draft, kinda validates that u know what your doing at the draft

And that you know they can do it in YOUR system flanked by YOUR guys. You never know how a guy's game will translate to a different system, city, coaching staff, and supporting cast.
[ Edited by andes14 on Mar 13, 2012 at 11:44 PM ]
I think part of the reason is that most players are willing to give at least a 10% hometown discount. Therefore, you will always pay more for a big free agent from another team.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
I think part of the reason is that most players are willing to give at least a 10% hometown discount. Therefore, you will always pay more for a big free agent from another team.

That doesn't make any sense because the 10% hometown discount would be applicable for the 31 other teams so it cancels out and is irrelevant.
[ Edited by andes14 on Mar 13, 2012 at 11:47 PM ]
  • vaden
  • Veteran
That's why I said we'll never sign a legit #1 WR. We have to hope to get 1 through the draft. It's frustrating, but a sound strategy for the philosophy Baalke and Harbaugh seem to have, wanting to run a lot. What I don't get is why they don't seem concerned about our interior OL and short-yardage running game, but we'll see.
he was named executive of the year for a reason
Originally posted by andes14:

That doesn't make any sense because the 10% hometown discount would be applicable for the 31 other teams so it cancels out and is irrelevant.

That's the point.
It applies to everybody, therefore you have to pay a little more to bring a guy from team "A" to team "B".
You pay a little less to sign a guy from team "A" to team "A".

That's the point.
It applies to everybody, therefore you have to pay a little more to bring a guy from team "A" to team "B".
You pay a little less to sign a guy from team "A" to team "A".

Um, ya, but if that applies to every team, that's irrelevant to bring up when discussing Baalke and his FA strategies. We're comparing Baalke to other GM's and if other GM's deal with the same thing, it's irrelevant.
Lol. Baalke has been GM for one year. It is an attribute of the Niners.
Um, ya, but if that applies to every team, that's irrelevant to bring up when discussing Baalke and his FA strategies. We're comparing Baalke to other GM's and if other GM's deal with the same thing, it's irrelevant.

What he is saying is baalke won't do it. Which is why we have not made any huge splashes since he came on. this is really the only year that is a good sample.
It's not an attribute it's how business is. Keep your best players happy. Also theres really no key guy out there to really pay to give us a title shot (like Deion sanders 94')
Originally posted by 9erReign:
Lol. Baalke has been GM for one year. It is an attribute of the Niners.

He's had the title of GM for one year, but he's been the de facto GM since McLoughan left, so this is his 3rd offseason running the show slash that clearly wasn't the case of the Niners before Baalke took over. See Clements, Nate.
[ Edited by andes14 on Mar 14, 2012 at 12:07 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone