LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 287 users in the forums

Attribute of Baalke that is quite unique

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by niners94:
Originally posted by 9erReign:
Originally posted by SoCal9ers:
I wonder what McClueless is doing

You realize he built this team, right? Alex, Gore, VD, Willis, Justin Smith, etc. He is the sole reason we even have Willis.

Willis was because of Nolan.

No, McCloughan had to give a speech and rumor has it stand on a table to convince the coaches that Willis was a good player. Singletary didn't like Willis.

http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2010/03/18/mccloughan-out/
Originally posted by niners94:
Originally posted by SoCal9ers:
I wonder what McClueless is doing

You realize he built this team, right? Alex, Gore, VD, Willis, Justin Smith, etc. He is the sole reason we even have Willis.

Willis was because of Nolan.

No, McCloughan had to give a speech and rumor has it stand on a table to convince the coaches that Willis was a good player. Singletary didn't like Willis.

http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2010/03/18/mccloughan-out/

imagine if we took Carriker, and the Rams got Willis,
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
I don't really blame it all on McCloughan, it goes on Nolan and Singletary, both were terrible HC's,

But McCloughan didnt hit on late round guys. And not all his picks were great. Lawson didnt fit the system. Balmer was terrible, in fact the entire 08 draft was a bust. None of the 6 picks are pro bowl or starter material IMO, not even Morgan. He got overpaid.

McCloughan was very hit and miss. He made some great ones matched only by how horrible his other picks were. His second day picks were horrible and he either drafted great first rounders or horrible ones seems like.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
imagine if we took Carriker, and the Rams got Willis,

Literally that could have changed everything, Willis was the first step of this team's transformation, without him, who knows what might have happened?
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
nolanterry era built this team

Yep this is a team built in Nolan/McCloughan's vision. Big lineman, power run game, great defense. Baalke really hasn't done much, greatest thing he did was get a damn good coach. The team already had the talent just had terrible coaching. And his Bowman pick was nice.
Yep this is a team built in Nolan/McCloughan's vision. Big lineman, power run game, great defense. Baalke really hasn't done much, greatest thing he did was get a damn good coach. The team already had the talent just had terrible coaching. And his Bowman pick was nice.

he f**kin played last years start of FA like a jedi master, getting rogers on a cheap 1 yr deal...re-signing goldson...grabbing whitner away from cinci...

he drafted aldon smith while 99% of fans including me b***hed and complained about it, i think he's done a whole lot in just one year
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

he f**kin played last years start of FA like a jedi master, getting rogers on a cheap 1 yr deal...re-signing goldson...grabbing whitner away from cinci...

he drafted aldon smith while 99% of fans including me b***hed and complained about it, i think he's done a whole lot in just one year

You forgot the Akers signing. But the CORE of the team is still Nolan/McCloughan. I mean yeah, Baalke's first round pick played like a first round pick and he signed a few cheap guys who worked out. But his greatest accomplishment was getting Harbaugh. Followed next by trading for Ginn (our improved return game has been huge) and drafting Bowman in the 3rd (a steal).
I find myself wondering if Baalke would've gone after Justin Smith hard like Nolan, that signing was huge for this D.

Though I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have dropped the bank on Nate Clements, Michael Lewis or Glassman Jennings either.
[ Edited by KowboyKiller on Mar 14, 2012 at 8:51 PM ]

Yeah, that Aldon Smith pick wasn't very good. So far he has gotten Bowman, Aldon, Culliver, Hunter, Iupati, etc He's got some great hits in his 1st two drafts.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Mar 14, 2012 at 8:51 PM ]
Originally posted by Gore_21:

Yeah, that Aldon Smith pick wasn't very good. So far he has gotten Bowman, Aldon, Culliver, Hunter, Iupati, etc He's got some great hits in his 1st two drafts.

Aldon is very good. He is also a #7 overall pick. Isn't that what you expect there? Iupati was #17, that is pretty high for a guard so I'm glad he's good too. Look I'm not knocking Baalke, he has done a great job. Just this post is hilarious because most of the guys he mentioned were drafted by McCloughan AND given extensions by people other than Baalke. Not to mention our MVP (Justin Smith) was a HUGE contract FA signing.

Originally posted by Gore_21:

I wonder who Baalke would've drafted in the second in 2010 instead of Mays if Singletary hadn't thrown his weight around. What a waste, and Singletary was the only person who wanted him.
Aldon is very good. He is also a #7 overall pick. Isn't that what you expect there? Iupati was #17, that is pretty high for a guard so I'm glad he's good too. Look I'm not knocking Baalke, he has done a great job. Just this post is hilarious because most of the guys he mentioned were drafted by McCloughan AND given extensions by people other than Baalke. Not to mention our MVP (Justin Smith) was a HUGE contract FA signing.

I know Aldon is very good, I was being sarcastic. Give Baalke credit though... go look at draft history and look at all the busts in the top 10... there are 1,000s of them. Just because Aldon was a 7th overall pick doesn't mean a GM doesn't deserve credit for hitting on the pick.
Just summing it up McCloughan and Nolan did some good things but they did a lot more bad than good. They set a foundation but the building process was long and slow. They deserve some of the credit for this team but they also beat us up in the process.
Teams that don't win pay big bucks for free agents. Baalke and Harbaugh did a masterful job keeping the defense intact. They can find receiving options in the draft, another strong point of this organization.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Baalke places value on a player (and does a great job of being precise with that value) and won't budge. He is awesome
Share 49ersWebzone