There are 157 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Attribute of Baalke that is quite unique

Baalke actually said this in an interview a while back. He'd rather sign the guys in house. He said free agents don't often have the same
success in a different system. If he signs a FA guy on 1 or 2 year deal and they ball out. He can sign them to a long term deal because he knows they
fit in the system. There are exceptions and he admitted as much. But look at Pittsburg, New England, Packers and The Giants, Not too many flashy contracts, but successful. Now look at the Redskins and Cowboys. They got more flashy contracts than anybody and no trophies in almost 20 years.
Originally posted by andes14:
Dude we have ZERO players on our roster on big contracts because of what they did for another team. ZERO. That's remarkable.

Justin smith.
Originally posted by Niners99:
You mean after 1 full offseason and one that is a day old, theyve set a trend of only locking up current niners longterm?

Between the lockout last year, and free agency just starting this year, they havent had many chances to sign outside players. Mike Wallace doesnt have to earn it first as a Niner. Theyd lock him up right away.

Dude we have ZERO players on our roster on big contracts because of what they did for another team. ZERO. That's remarkable.

Again, baalke has been GM for a weird strike shortened offseason, and now 1 day of 2012. Hes had very little time to set trends. The OP was talking about baalke.
i like the fact he looks like a serial rapist
Originally posted by jdt84_2:
Justin smith.

That's not Baalke's deal. People will use any loophole they can, lol. Fine, let me add the should-have-been-obvious addendum meaning only players on contracts doled out by Baalke.
I just sorta realized this, I don't know how many of you guys have as well - but all the guys on our team with big contracts are guys that have earned it WITH US (Gore, VD, Staley, Willis, Brooks, Rogers, RayMac). When we add external players, it's always on modest deals and when we give out big money, it's always to internal players. Makes sense, you wanna make sure a guy plays well FOR YOU before you give him big time bucks. That's why I guess we can probably (not definitely I suppose, but probably) rule out Mike Wallace or any of those guys - because the value we assign to a player who had a certain level of production with another team is way lower than the value we'd assign to a player with that same level of production, but for us. Obviously, not all GM's think like this, so other teams' offers for a guy like Wallace would likely blow ours out of the water.

His theory is to not pay players after their best year because you are paying the highest price for production that may never be repeated. This is why we sign players prior to the year we think they will break out and why we sign FA's who are very close to a breakout year or just had a down year.
He does his homework.

Is he perfect - no. BUT he's damn good.

Hiring new talent, whether it's FA, Draft or New Coaches, is an imperfect science.

He seems to be getting the most out of cap dollars and talent. As of 03/14 he is doing just fine. I'm sure he'll get 1-2 more very goood pick-ups before going into the draft.

Let's see how this plays out.
I think Baalke does a good job. It is clear that he is not going to overpay for a position, which is what happens on the first day of the FA period. After the dust has settled he will then sort through and take his pick. It is also clear that they evaluate all of the players in the rest of the league so they are prepared if opportunity knocks and a player becomes available for any reason. It is also clear that Baalke is open to deal with people like Moss and Cox, and Edwards. If they become difficult they can be cut, if they can play they will keep them. So Baalke is not afraid to address issues in a manner that satisfies himself and his staff. So far he has been able to address the needs of the team without overspending. We will see how he handles the OLine, RB, WRs, and draft this year and this should confirm a number of thought processes that he reveals about himself. So he is doing what is best for the team and is offering A. Smith a contract that is beneficial to Alex and to the Niners. But if Alex chooses not to sign he has a plan B in place ready to go. So lots of time in FA, and lots of players to be signed if they meet the specifications the Niners have placed on them. Good job Baalke.
  • dwett
  • Veteran
Originally posted by gavindirishmen:
Baalke actually said this in an interview a while back. He'd rather sign the guys in house. He said free agents don't often have the same
success in a different system. If he signs a FA guy on 1 or 2 year deal and they ball out. He can sign them to a long term deal because he knows they
fit in the system. There are exceptions and he admitted as much. But look at Pittsburg, New England, Packers and The Giants, Not too many flashy contracts, but successful. Now look at the Redskins and Cowboys. They got more flashy contracts than anybody and no trophies in almost 20 years.
I always respected Bill Polian and if you look at the Colts during the 2000s they used this approach. It seemed to work our alright for them until their high priced QB got hurt.
I wonder what McClueless is doing
Originally posted by SoCal9ers:
I wonder what McClueless is doing

drinking
I seem to recall that Mr.Baalke said one thing that he learned from Mcdrunklan was, Not to let your team your team get to "old" at any one position. That staying ahead of the curve as far as pre-planning for FA,drafting, player contracts, et all...and any other roster moves always has to be viewed in that light. In short a good "master plan" is in effect by this FO, and so far the results have been good. Not to say that it's isn't always a bit of a crap shoot...but "if if you don't roll the dice you ain't in the game"
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
I think Baalke does a good job. It is clear that he is not going to overpay for a position, which is what happens on the first day of the FA period. After the dust has settled he will then sort through and take his pick. It is also clear that they evaluate all of the players in the rest of the league so they are prepared if opportunity knocks and a player becomes available for any reason. It is also clear that Baalke is open to deal with people like Moss and Cox, and Edwards. If they become difficult they can be cut, if they can play they will keep them. So Baalke is not afraid to address issues in a manner that satisfies himself and his staff. So far he has been able to address the needs of the team without overspending. We will see how he handles the OLine, RB, WRs, and draft this year and this should confirm a number of thought processes that he reveals about himself. So he is doing what is best for the team and is offering A. Smith a contract that is beneficial to Alex and to the Niners. But if Alex chooses not to sign he has a plan B in place ready to go. So lots of time in FA, and lots of players to be signed if they meet the specifications the Niners have placed on them. Good job Baalke.
Nice post.
I want to have his children.
It seems to me that the 49ers treat FA almost like an insurance plan in the first few days. They tie-up cheap talent for positions that they are at risk of losing. Then they let the big money frenzy subside and make reasonable offers. Smart -- but I still wish we always didn't rely on second tier WR's!! Its been too many years of pain watching Johnie Morton, Arnaz Battle, Taylor Jacobs, LOL.

Lloyd visiting is interesting, but really?? Lloyd is a perimeter player that loathes contact. We need a receiver that likes going over the middle -- and right now Moss and Crabs are not that kind of receiver. Manningham is about all that is left for a receiver that isn't afraid of the middle.

MAYBE that is why big, fast TE's are becoming more popular to work the middle of the field - receivers are getting soft?