There are 109 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

ILB Larry Grant (RFA) to be tendered

Originally posted by 9erred:
Originally posted by btthepunk:
It would be pretty stupid not to give him the second round tender. We have the money.

1 million percent agree. For 700,000 more you are getting a stud special team player and back up ILB to both Willis and Bowman. To sign him to a long term deal would be more than 2 million a year, so pay the 1.9 million. If another team signs him, match the offer if you think it is a fair offer, if not take the second round pick and be happy.

To tender him for a 7th round pick is worrisome. You would be then hoping to let other teams negotiate his value and then match it, but if you do not, getting only a 7th is like next to no compnesation at all.

Although Grant was a 7th round pick himself ... I get the appeal of getting a 2nd rounder for Grant, but I'd rather keep him. There are no assurances that Bowman will stay and he will demand way more money than Grant will. Even if we resign Bowman next year, having a very solid 3rd inside backer is huge. Team depth has been a problem with this team for the past decade. Without grant this year I'm not sure we go 13-3.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
that would be so awesome if we get a 2nd rd pick!!!! we would do real damage in the draft!!

but will teams believe he is worth a 2nd pick??? eagles? patriots? rams? tampa bay?

I wouldn't be surprised if he got a look from the Eagles or Pats.

Eagles need lots of ILB help. 2nd rounder would be great for us.
Originally posted by bleeds9ersredandgold:
give him a 2nd round tender, then i hope somebody signs him

This, I want the 2nd round pick.

And let that team be the Colts
Originally posted by midrdan:
It would be pretty stupid not to give him the second round tender. We have the money.

1 million percent agree. For 700,000 more you are getting a stud special team player and back up ILB to both Willis and Bowman. To sign him to a long term deal would be more than 2 million a year, so pay the 1.9 million. If another team signs him, match the offer if you think it is a fair offer, if not take the second round pick and be happy.

To tender him for a 7th round pick is worrisome. You would be then hoping to let other teams negotiate his value and then match it, but if you do not, getting only a 7th is like next to no compnesation at all.

Although Grant was a 7th round pick himself ... I get the appeal of getting a 2nd rounder for Grant, but I'd rather keep him. There are no assurances that Bowman will stay and he will demand way more money than Grant will. Even if we resign Bowman next year, having a very solid 3rd inside backer is huge. Team depth has been a problem with this team for the past decade. Without grant this year I'm not sure we go 13-3.

I never thought of that, I guess I assumed Bowman was going to re sign, or be tendered next year, but you are right. Still putting a second round tender is the right choice, if the contract offered by another team looks fair, then the 9ers can match it.

Lets hope Baalke and company do the right thing.
I liked Larry Grant when we first drafted him. I was surprised he got cut. Anyways, glad he was back home and honestly if we tender him at a 2nd rounder it's a win win. Sure he cost us 2 million but that means if someone else signs him and we don't match we get a 2nd round pick (or i think we can negotiate something lower). If we do match we have our 3rd ILB for awhile and another piece of the Tony Montana squad. The 3rd ILB is important to us because we didn't keep 4 last year meaning he will back up both Willis and Bowman. I would be fine keeping only 3 if we re-sign Grant... it saves a roster spot. If he does leave an ILB could be picked in rounds 3-4 to take his place.

P.S. Do I think a team would give up a 2nd for him? Probably not... I think you can negotiate.. maybe we get a 3rd out of him. Any less we probably just keep him.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Mar 7, 2012 at 7:39 PM ]
Originally posted by midrdan:

I never thought of that, I guess I assumed Bowman was going to re sign, or be tendered next year, but you are right. Still putting a second round tender is the right choice, if the contract offered by another team looks fair, then the 9ers can match it.

Lets hope Baalke and company do the right thing.

is bowman really a RFA next year? i thought he still had 2 years i think we will end up extending his contract in the middle of this season if he is set to be a FA
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
is bowman really a RFA next year? i thought he still had 2 years i think we will end up extending his contract in the middle of this season if he is set to be a FA

He's got two years left

http://www.rotoworld.com/teams/contracts/nfl/sf/49ers
[ Edited by SonocoNinerFan on Mar 7, 2012 at 8:16 PM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
A second round tender would be a win-win move.
Originally posted by bleeds9ersredandgold:
give him a 2nd round tender, then i hope somebody signs him

This, I want the 2nd round pick.

Hopefully the Colts.
Second round is the way to go, because it only costs the niners an extra few hundred thousand dollars for the possibility of what a 2nd rounder vs a seventh rounder. Great move
2nd rd tender definitely. Don't think they'll pay big bucks to both Bowman and Willis. Bowmman goes to FA when eligible. We will need Grant or 2nd rd draftee to step in.
Originally posted by ishkabibel:
2nd rd tender definitely. Don't think they'll pay big bucks to both Bowman and Willis. Bowmman goes to FA when eligible. We will need Grant or 2nd rd draftee to step in.

I know a lot of people are worried about Bowman but we have him for 2 more seasons before he is a free agent and I would bet he is franchised tagged that 3rd year if we can't sign him long term. So we should have him at least 3 more years. So we should have him through the 2014 season and he would be a free agent March of 2015.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Mar 7, 2012 at 9:26 PM ]
Hoping for a 2nd round tender but seems wrong that he'd be making so much more than Bowman who's an All Pro
  • Garcia
  • Veteran
great move.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by genz22:
2nd round tender is what I am hoping for!

Even if it was a 3rd or 4th round tender it would good.