LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 219 users in the forums

ILB Larry Grant (RFA) to be tendered

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Imagine if a team signs him and Niners land another 2nd round pick! Could be huge.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by genz22:
Imagine if a team signs him and Niners land another 2nd round pick! Could be huge.

Highly doubt it, but your right, it would give us enough ammo to trade up into the middle of the 1st round, which is what I would do, or up into the 20's at least. Trying to get Stephen Hill ya know what I mean dog!!!
Or don't trade for Stephen Hill and keep the 2nd round picks. You would have higher quality players filling the roster. Our depth would become ridiculous.
  • cools
  • Veteran
I just want Grant as a Niner, he's turned into a very good LB, we need the depth
Originally posted by cools:
I just want Grant as a Niner, he's turned into a very good LB, we need the depth

Yep, he may have been a 7th round pick but he's performed much better than a typical 7th rounder. It would be hard to get an equal replacement for him in the 7th again.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Originally posted by ishkabibel:
2nd rd tender definitely. Don't think they'll pay big bucks to both Bowman and Willis. Bowmman goes to FA when eligible. We will need Grant or 2nd rd draftee to step in.

I know a lot of people are worried about Bowman but we have him for 2 more seasons before he is a free agent and I would bet he is franchised tagged that 3rd year if we can't sign him long term. So we should have him at least 3 more years. So we should have him through the 2014 season and he would be a free agent March of 2015.

Francise tag is a great point
I didn't see this coming. But looking at it I don't think Baalke and the front office will let him go for just a 7th rounder. Grant is a top 10 ILB who has had the misfortune of playing on a team with 2 of the top 5 ILB's. This guy is a starter ANYwhere else he goes, save for a team or two. We are not going to let him go for peanuts. I think there will be a 2nd round tender.
Also, if a team bites on the 2nd round tender, which I would expect several teams would, I could see the 49ers making a serious push for trading up into the first. If this plays out like I hope this could be a draft game changer for many of our mock drafts, including mines.
if he goes elsewhere we should trade up

either trade our 2nd and our first for a higher first round pick and get michael floyd

or

trade both our seconds for a first round pick
pick up WR (wright hill) who ever drops
and get konz or a CB (glenn and decastro out of our range)
Originally posted by btthepunk:
Yep, he may have been a 7th round pick but he's performed much better than a typical 7th rounder. It would be hard to get an equal replacement for him in the 7th again.

But it'd be a lot easier to get it in the 2nd round

Originally posted by 9erred:
Originally posted by midrdan:
Originally posted by 9erred:
Originally posted by btthepunk:
It would be pretty stupid not to give him the second round tender. We have the money.

1 million percent agree. For 700,000 more you are getting a stud special team player and back up ILB to both Willis and Bowman. To sign him to a long term deal would be more than 2 million a year, so pay the 1.9 million. If another team signs him, match the offer if you think it is a fair offer, if not take the second round pick and be happy.

To tender him for a 7th round pick is worrisome. You would be then hoping to let other teams negotiate his value and then match it, but if you do not, getting only a 7th is like next to no compnesation at all.

Although Grant was a 7th round pick himself ... I get the appeal of getting a 2nd rounder for Grant, but I'd rather keep him. There are no assurances that Bowman will stay and he will demand way more money than Grant will. Even if we resign Bowman next year, having a very solid 3rd inside backer is huge. Team depth has been a problem with this team for the past decade. Without grant this year I'm not sure we go 13-3.

I never thought of that, I guess I assumed Bowman was going to re sign, or be tendered next year, but you are right. Still putting a second round tender is the right choice, if the contract offered by another team looks fair, then the 9ers can match it.

Lets hope Baalke and company do the right thing.
I understand the worry. But there's no way Baalke and the front office will let Bowman go. I think he and Willis are going to be together for a long time. This is a smart move by the 49ers to tender Grant. There are way too many teams needing a starting ILB.
Grant played very well in place of Willis, I hope we keep him, he can start in a pinch and gives us another badass for special teams
I hope we are able to keep grant. I'll enjoy a second rounder but this guy fits in perfectly if either of ILB get injured.
[ Edited by Shorteous on Mar 8, 2012 at 9:17 AM ]
Originally posted by Shorteous:
I hope we are able to keep grant. I'll enjoy a second rounder but this guy fits in perfectly if either of ILB get injured.
Yeah but he wants to start, and deservingly so.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Yeah but he wants to start, and deservingly so.
this is it. I was glad he played so well for us but at the same time knew he was also putting on a show for other teams, he proved he can start and he knows he can not start with what is in front of him. besides i have full confidence this coach and front office will find a vet diamond in the rough or a mid round draft choice, it is a loss but it is the only thing that makes sense to him
Share 49ersWebzone