LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 409 users in the forums

Why did we overpay so much for Brooks? And where does that leave us now?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by SFrush:
How did he improve? He had 7 sacks 1 time in his career. And he had 49 tackles 1 time in his career.

This was only his first year as a starter for an entire season. I don't think he's reached his ceiling.

Ok so a 1 year starter who had 7 sacks 1 time in his career ever is worth $44 million of cap space?.... The guy never even had 10 sacks in his career ever. NEVER! Aldon Smith came in as a rookie and gave us 14 the first year....

lol because aldon was a first round pick and brooks was a supplemental 3rd round pick with raw skills that needed development. and he has developed into a fine OLB
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
He won't be paid $44 Million . . .

He will if he plays out his contract and meets signing bonuses and other bonus money....

Uh....

1) Sighning bonuses don't work that way. He is guaranteed 17 mil over SIX years.
2) If performance incentives guarantee any other part of the contract, I'll be very happy. That would mean he PLAYED VERY WELL.

Most likely, he'll never see all that money. The only thing that matters is the guarateed money. This WILL NOT limit the 49ers ability to resign other players. The first year salary is probably very, very low.

/thread
Originally posted by susweel:
Get over it its not your money.

Yeah but it effects the future cap and how many guys we can sign. And guys this year like Colston, Vincent Jackson and Dwayne Bowe. All probably out now.

Its hard to say how much it effects it because we haven't seen the end product yet. Im giving Baalke a chance to see what he has up his sleeve.

I'm ok with bringing the guy back. But he's overpaid and a product of those around him IMO. And it will effect our ability to sign other players.
Originally posted by schmons:
How did he improve? He had 7 sacks 1 time in his career. And he had 49 tackles 1 time in his career.

This was only his first year as a starter for an entire season. I don't think he's reached his ceiling.

Ok so a 1 year starter who had 7 sacks 1 time in his career ever is worth $44 million of cap space?.... The guy never even had 10 sacks in his career ever. NEVER! Aldon Smith came in as a rookie and gave us 14 the first year....

lol because aldon was a first round pick and brooks was a supplemental 3rd round pick with raw skills that needed development. and he has developed into a fine OLB

So if Brooks is worth $44 million what is Aldon Smith worth when he comes to FA in a few years? Like $200 million?.....
Originally posted by DRUSTOPO:
OK he's not a big tackle guy. You know what he's ALSO NOT A BIG SACK GUY! He's a 3 - 4 OLB who had 7 sacks 1 time in his career EVER!

This was also his first year as a starter EVER...and he's just 27. If he doesn't improve and turns out to be an average player, they'll axe his last two years ( which Im sure are heavily back loaded, meaning little to no cap hit ). If he does earn the entire contract amount of 44M, then he most likely improved to a 10+ Sack guy He is just about to hit his prime, James Harrison is one of the best 3-4 OLB in the league..look what he did before age 29 =

James Harrison ( 6'0", 242lbs )
2004 ( 26 ) - 16 Games, 45 Tackles, 36 Solo, 1 Sack, 0 FF, 2 Pass Defended, 5 Stuffs for 0 yards.
2005 ( 27 ) - 16 Games, 45 Tackles, 36 Solo, 3 Sacks, 0 FF, 4 Pass Defended, 0 Stuffs for 0 yards.
2006 ( 28 ) - 11 Games, 20 Tackles, 12 Solo, 0 Sacks, 0 FF, 0 Pass Defended, 1 Stuff for 1 yard.

You act like we saw the best of Brooks in his 1st full season as a starter in a new system. Give him a couple years, the contract may end up looking more like 24M over 4 years if he ends up being average. Or could look like a steal if he turns into something much better.

Have some faith that Balke and Jimbo know more about him than you and I.

Now we are comparing him to James Harrison?.... The most sacks he had in his life is 7.
Right so Harrison at that point in his career was averaging 37 Tackles and 1.3 Sacks a season While 26-27-28....Brooks is averaging 34 Tackles and 6 sacks per season over last 3 years as a 25-26-27 year old and for the first time started in his career just last season. It's a solid comparison showing potential progression of a player.

If Brooks earns every dime of that 44 Million that means he's playing GREAT every season. No body front loads a contract, the last years are going to be high cap numbers and for him to be worth it, his numbers will have to be there. I dont see what the problem is. If he's great, then pay him, if he's not, then he'll have to restructure or get cut. Thats how the NFL works. This isn't the Giants and Barry Zito. You have to earn every dime past the guaranteed money so it's either the niners win and retain an amazing LB for at least 6 years, or they cut ties/reconstruct if his production isnt up to par with his cap figure for coming years.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Get over it its not your money.

Yeah but it effects the future cap and how many guys we can sign. And guys this year like Colston, Vincent Jackson and Dwayne Bowe. All probably out now.

Its hard to say how much it effects it because we haven't seen the end product yet. Im giving Baalke a chance to see what he has up his sleeve.

I'm ok with bringing the guy back. But he's overpaid and a product of those around him IMO. And it will effect our ability to sign other players.

I guess they value him way more than you do. I thought he was a good player and am glad he's back. I personally dont think about the money because most of the guys are over paid.
What if he reaches double digit sacks this upcoming season? It's not like it's out of the question, Brooks is a solid pass rusher.
Originally posted by 1swift:
Originally posted by DRUSTOPO:
OK he's not a big tackle guy. You know what he's ALSO NOT A BIG SACK GUY! He's a 3 - 4 OLB who had 7 sacks 1 time in his career EVER!

This was also his first year as a starter EVER...and he's just 27. If he doesn't improve and turns out to be an average player, they'll axe his last two years ( which Im sure are heavily back loaded, meaning little to no cap hit ). If he does earn the entire contract amount of 44M, then he most likely improved to a 10+ Sack guy He is just about to hit his prime, James Harrison is one of the best 3-4 OLB in the league..look what he did before age 29 =

James Harrison ( 6'0", 242lbs )
2004 ( 26 ) - 16 Games, 45 Tackles, 36 Solo, 1 Sack, 0 FF, 2 Pass Defended, 5 Stuffs for 0 yards.
2005 ( 27 ) - 16 Games, 45 Tackles, 36 Solo, 3 Sacks, 0 FF, 4 Pass Defended, 0 Stuffs for 0 yards.
2006 ( 28 ) - 11 Games, 20 Tackles, 12 Solo, 0 Sacks, 0 FF, 0 Pass Defended, 1 Stuff for 1 yard.

You act like we saw the best of Brooks in his 1st full season as a starter in a new system. Give him a couple years, the contract may end up looking more like 24M over 4 years if he ends up being average. Or could look like a steal if he turns into something much better.

Have some faith that Balke and Jimbo know more about him than you and I.

Now we are comparing him to James Harrison?.... The most sacks he had in his life is 7.
Right so Harrison at that point in his career was averaging 37 Tackles and 1.3 Sacks a season While 26-27-28....Brooks is averaging 34 Tackles and 6 sacks per season over last 3 years as a 25-26-27 year old and for the first time started in his career just last season. It's a solid comparison showing potential progression of a player.

If Brooks earns every dime of that 44 Million that means he's playing GREAT every season. No body front loads a contract, the last years are going to be high cap numbers and for him to be worth it, his numbers will have to be there. I dont see what the problem is. If he's great, then pay him, if he's not, then he'll have to restructure or get cut. Thats how the NFL works. This isn't the Giants and Barry Zito. You have to earn every dime past the guaranteed money so it's either the niners win and retain an amazing LB for at least 6 years, or they cut ties/reconstruct if his production isnt up to par with his cap figure for coming years.

He's done nothing to indicate he will progress into James Harrison. That's reaching.
What if he reaches double digit sacks this upcoming season? It's not like it's out of the question, Brooks is a solid pass rusher.

Well he never did that in his career. I hope he does. But we will see.
Originally posted by RonMexico:
how much does it effect it

I like what you have been doing, too bad you aren't getting answers to your questions.

Is this a real thread? Real life?
[ Edited by NCommand on Feb 29, 2012 at 6:30 PM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:
Is this a real thread? Real life?

nah, it can't be.
Originally posted by elhebrewhammer:
And Wimbley got less years, more overall money and a more guaranteed, so what's your point. Wimbley received a better deal than Brooks and he deserves it.

He's just as good as Wimbley imo.
Originally posted by elhebrewhammer:
And Wimbley got less years, more overall money and a more guaranteed, so what's your point. Wimbley received a better deal than Brooks and he deserves it.

He's just as good as Wimbley imo.

Wimbley had 11 sacks and 69 tackles as career highs respectively. Show me when Brooks did that?.....
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Originally posted by RonMexico:
how much does it effect it

I like what you have been doing, too bad you aren't getting answers to your questions.

Lol he doesn't do it to get answers.
Share 49ersWebzone