There are 245 users in the forums

Why did we overpay so much for Brooks? And where does that leave us now?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I'm glad to have him back too. But an average OLB is not worth $44 million.... How do we plan on signing these guys now?

~ Alex Smith - ascending albeit not great. 2nd year players are much worse than him. Don't kid yourself.

~ Dashon Goldson - Turned down 5 years and $25 million last year before his monster year. Will be espensive this year.

~ Carlos Rogers - Would love to have him back. But huge money for a 31 year old CB doesn't make sense.

~ Adam Snyder - Have you seen Chilo play? Don't think this guy is important?.....

~ Ted Ginn - Have you seen Kyle Williams try to return kicks? Do you think going into 2012 with KW as your primary return man is a good idea?.....

With the massive overpayment to Brooks now multiple of these may not be able to be signed. I just don't know what the front office was thinking? The highest sacks he ever had was 7. The highest tackes he ever had was 49. You explain it to me?

IMO he's a product of the players around him. Justin Smith and Aldon Smith are beasts. And Ray McDonald is hugely underrated. Sopoaga is good. Willis is great. Bowman is good. He's in a phenemonal front 7. And the attention is put to other guys. I just don't think he is $44 million good. And it has future salary cap implications. I'm fine with keeping our players. But I don't think that means massively overpay. We could have made OLB a priority in the draft too and picked up Vincent Jackson or Bowe with the money. I just don't know about this deal. Glad to have him back? Yes. At this price? No way.
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Feb 29, 2012 at 5:45 PM ]
He won't be paid $44 Million . . .
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:

He will if he plays out his contract and meets signing bonuses and other bonus money....

if your against the deal, you'll reference 44 mil, if u like the deal you'll reference 17.5 mil, simply put its just how it is
Yeah I'm pretty sure the deal is full of incentives and not completely guaranteed. I thought it was a bit much myself when I first saw the contract, but until the details are released, I can't really have a positive or negative opinion about it.

All I do know is the leagues most dominate front 7 are intact for at least another year.

OLB aren't big tackle guys. They eat up blocks and allow PWilly and Bowman to fill the gaps.

2 cents
Lol how do you people know he was over paid? Do you work for all o the other teams and know what his worth was?
  • mod
  • Veteran
Its a 6 year contract though... Not like he's making 12mil a year.
Originally posted by crabman82:

if your against the deal, you'll reference 44 mil, if u like the deal you'll reference 17.5 mil, simply put its just how it is

If he meets all incentives and signing bonuses he will get $44 million. That's too much of a cap # for an average OLB. I repeat he had 7 sacks tops in his career and 49 tackles tops. That's the best he ever did. EVER! Rediculous what they paid him and how he will effect our cap for years to come.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran

yep.
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
Lol how do you people know he was over paid? Do you work for all o the other teams and know what his worth was?

He's not in the top 3 or 4 best players in our own front 7. He's a product of the other players around him in the front 7. Way too much for him.

Originally posted by Youngb:
Yeah I'm pretty sure the deal is full of incentives and not completely guaranteed. I thought it was a bit much myself when I first saw the contract, but until the details are released, I can't really have a positive or negative opinion about it.

All I do know is the leagues most dominate front 7 are intact for at least another year.

OLB aren't big tackle guys. They eat up blocks and allow PWilly and Bowman to fill the gaps.

2 cents

OK he's not a big tackle guy. You know what he's ALSO NOT A BIG SACK GUY! He's a 3 - 4 OLB who had 7 sacks 1 time in his career EVER!
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by ninersrule4:

He's not in the top 3 or 4 best players in our own front 7. He's a product of the other players around him in the front 7. Way too much for him.

Idk I liked the deal hes improved greatly this past year so who's to say he won't be even better next year? I think you are really understating his value within the front 7. Besides like many said he won't get all of that 44 mil. I trust this FO they will do the right stuff
Ugh. Here we go.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

He will if he plays out his contract and meets signing bonuses and other bonus money....

how does he get the other bonus money
to use a favorite of yours .

because he's our most complete OLB by far and the best OLB in FA and or the draft, not to mention a 3 down player in the best front 7 in football. Over-reaction thread.
Share 49ersWebzone