There are 184 users in the forums

According to Adam Shefter, the 49ers are tryin to get 2 Top WR's

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by solidg2000:
Dude no one liked the pick. We got blasted on Tv for this pick and for culiver.
They said both where major reaches!
The best thing they said was in 2-3 years he might be ready to see the field but for a team that needs help now, they missed big on better more ready players

Most on here didn't like it and MOST didn't like it in the media. However, there were some that said he could be a starter by the next year, but would take him time to develop. Everybody said that. Who predicted that Smith would have the season he did? NOBODY!

Still, I remember liking the pick over Prince, Quinn and any of the QBs. I wanted Peterson or Miller. After that, I was hoping for a good pass rusher or CB.

As far as needing two WRs, I don't know about that. Instead, I look at it as two receivers, WR, TE or RB. I know Fleener as I have seen the last two years of Stanford football, but not every weekend like others. Still, I have been impressed with Fleener's ability to get open even against CBs. For me, I see us landing three receivers through FA and draft and that includes Morgan. I don't think Ginn will be back, IMO, just too inconsistent as a WR and get injured too frequently which is something this regime deals with quickly. Look at Edwards as the example.

So where does that leave us? If Bowe or VJ are available, I expect us to go after both hard, IMO. Then we sign Morgan to a reasonable contract. Now, we need another receiver in the draft. I could see us going after Fleener at #30, but then who would be our slot and returner? If we jump up to get Wright, then we lose valuable picks and I don't think that Baalke will do that this year. However, he is known to jump up to get his guy like A. Davis and Kap last year so anything is possible with Baalke.

Still our WRs and TEs could look like this next year:

WRs
Vincent Jackson
Michael Crabtree
Joshua Morgan
Ted Ginn, Jr (I believe he stays at a team discount)
TY Hilton (Surpasses Kyle Williams on depth chart)

TEs
Vernon Davis
Delaine Walker
Coby Fleener
Nate Bynam

I know I know...I'm dreaming, but I believe it will be some derivative of this. Still, our receiver core will improve, guaranteed!

Looking forward to FA and the draft!

[ Edited by ninertico on Feb 17, 2012 at 9:39 AM ]
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Vincent Jackson will be a niner.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:

Jackson, Morgan, Crabtree, Rookie, and Ted Ginn... VD, Flener, Walker and Peele...M.Lynch (seattle FA), Hunter, Gore!
  • dj43
Originally posted by ChazBoner:

While I would like that, it seems like the most unlikely choice. He has already said he wants to stay in SD. He also has acquired a rep for being something of a malcontent. That does not bode well for bringing him here. I think Harbaugh learned that lesson with Edwards. You can't change the spots on a leopard just because you prefer it to be a tiger.
Originally posted by ninertico:
Originally posted by solidg2000:
Dude no one liked the pick. We got blasted on Tv for this pick and for culiver.
They said both where major reaches!
The best thing they said was in 2-3 years he might be ready to see the field but for a team that needs help now, they missed big on better more ready players

Most on here didn't like it and MOST didn't like it in the media. However, there were some that said he could be a starter by the next year, but would take him time to develop. Everybody said that. Who predicted that Smith would have the season he did? NOBODY!

Still, I remember liking the pick over Prince, Quinn and any of the QBs. I wanted Peterson or Miller. After that, I was hoping for a good pass rusher or CB.

As far as needing two WRs, I don't know about that. Instead, I look at it as two receivers, WR, TE or RB. I know Fleener as I have seen the last two years of Stanford football, but not every weekend like others. Still, I have been impressed with Fleener's ability to get open even against CBs. For me, I see us landing three receivers through FA and draft and that includes Morgan. I don't think Ginn will be back, IMO, just too inconsistent as a WR and get injured too frequently which is something this regime deals with quickly. Look at Edwards as the example.

So where does that leave us? If Bowe or VJ are available, I expect us to go after both hard, IMO. Then we sign Morgan to a reasonable contract. Now, we need another receiver in the draft. I could see us going after Fleener at #30, but then who would be our slot and returner? If we jump up to get Wright, then we lose valuable picks and I don't think that Baalke will do that this year. However, he is known to jump up to get his guy like A. Davis and Kap last year so anything is possible with Baalke.

Still our WRs and TEs could look like this next year:

WRs
Vincent Jackson
Joshua Morgan
Michael Crabtree
Ted Ginn, Jr (I believe he stays at a team discount)
TY Hilton (Surpasses Kyle Williams on depth chart)

TEs
Vernon Davis
Coby Fleener
Delaine Walker
Nate Bynam

I know I know...I'm dreaming, but I believe it will be some derivative of this. Still, our receiver core will improve, guaranteed!

Looking forward to FA and the draft!

Fixed
Originally posted by dj43:
While I would like that, it seems like the most unlikely choice. He has already said he wants to stay in SD. He also has acquired a rep for being something of a malcontent. That does not bode well for bringing him here. I think Harbaugh learned that lesson with Edwards. You can't change the spots on a leopard just because you prefer it to be a tiger.

So let's get a different tiger! Dwyane Bowe, c'mon down! I agree, it seems like VJ wants to stay in SD. Also, I forgot Walker is a FA next year so Fleener could become his replacement next year. So getting four receivers this offseason isn't far fetched. Morgan and a new FA WR. Then Fleener and another WR like Adams or Hilton to take the place of Ginn if he's not resigned.

Lots of good choices for Baalke and given his history, I like the future.
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Fixed

Whatcha fixed?
  • dj43

So let's get a different tiger! Dwyane Bowe, c'mon down! I agree, it seems like VJ wants to stay in SD. Also, I forgot Walker is a FA next year so Fleener could become his replacement next year. So getting four receivers this offseason isn't far fetched. Morgan and a new FA WR. Then Fleener and another WR like Adams or Hilton to take the place of Ginn if he's not resigned.

Lots of good choices for Baalke and given his history, I like the future.

I would be fine with Bowe but it sounds more and more like he will get tagged.

I expect to see a FA WR signed but I don't think it will be a big-money guy. The money priority will be to re-sign all the guys that were such an integral part of the current team, including Brooks, Spillman and Costanzo. After that, if there is a guy like Garcon that will not upset the salary balance then Baalke will get him.

This team will be built around draft picks just like Baalke has said in the past not in more Nate Clements type deals.
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Fixed

Whatcha fixed?

Changed your depth chart, Morgan over Crabtree, and Fleener over Walker!
@AdamSchefter
Open Will discuss again on NFL Live at 4, and NFL32 at 6. But another team easily can make it difficult for Pittsburgh to keep WR Mike Wallace.

I'd cream my pants.

What about Mike Wallace? This guy can do it all and Pittsburgh is cap strapped. If I was SF I'd be willing to give up a first round pick (#30) to get a proven WR in his prime. Here's the article. http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5329/player?r=1
if we can get mike wallace id perfer him over anyone on the market, i dont care if we overpay him, he is that good.
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:
if we can get mike wallace id perfer him over anyone on the market, i dont care if we overpay him, he is that good.

+1 and our first round is a late pick anyway. It might be worth it to just sign Wallace.
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
I just dont see it happening. To echo what Tierney and Davis said yesterday on their show......

"If you are a top FA WR, would you want to go to a team that is a run heavy offense with Alex Smith as the QB?"

Im not saying the answer is going to be a resounding NO for most WRs....but it is definitely a question that they will all ask themselves.
Once again, the local one trick pony arrives just on time.

"Run heavy offense" may or may not be an issue. The problem with the offense this year was the lack of WRs (stating the obvious). Hence, a player like Garcon, who became frustrated with the failure last season, may see the opportunity to come here and become the piece that makes the offense more balanced AND an odds-on SB contender. Having an offensive-minded NFL Coach of the Year HC AND a winning record is a big draw for a receiver.

Once again, the blatant name calling is unnecessary. Just because you have been here longer than me doesnt mean you can regularly talk down to me.

ESPECIALLY in this instance, where I didnt even really post an opinion.....but rather passed along a statement made by our OWN color commentator. You are too much.
[ Edited by 80sbaby24 on Feb 17, 2012 at 10:46 AM ]
Originally posted by Ninerfan81:
What about Mike Wallace? This guy can do it all and Pittsburgh is cap strapped. If I was SF I'd be willing to give up a first round pick (#30) to get a proven WR in his prime. Here's the article. http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5329/player?r=1

Meh, would rather keep the 1st rounder and sign Garcon instead. Garcon's the same age as Wallace and had 900+ yards receiving with a garbage quarterback this year. As a bonus he'll be cheaper.

If you trade a 1st for Wallace and that 1st becomes a guy like Konz, who say goes on to be the best center in football, or Fleener who ends up as the next Gronkowski, you're not going to look back and think "wow, we really did get great value."

Wallace is the better player over Garcon, but not a whole 1st round pick better.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 17, 2012 at 10:37 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone