LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 263 users in the forums

According to Adam Shefter, the 49ers are tryin to get 2 Top WR's

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Preferably we can add a solid WR in Free Agency and then draft a WR in the 1st or 2nd round. Add in Crabtree, Morgan, Williams. Not too shabby
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
This is just a question moreso than an endorsement. So we FA a #1 WR and draft a #2WR. Okay, to get that #2 we may have to give up something to go way up in the draft. Say we make a run at blackmon, and offer craps plus our 2nd our maybe our first.

Think about this: Say we do get bowe FA. Now we have 2 #1 wr, and i don't see baalke paying 2 guys to be a #1, when craps has produced no more than a #4 or #5WR.
Therefore, I think it is likely craps moves on if we go high to get a bonafide #2 in draft. Also then baalke pays #1 money to our FA WR only. Any thots on this? If we do acquire the two guys mentioned above that would leave FA #1, draftee #2, morgan #3 , kyle #4,and Ginn #5.

We're not turning Crabtree into Blackmon IMO. I think more realistic would be signing a guy like Colston or VJax in FA, then picking a guy like Reuben Randle or whoever falls in the first. I wouldn't mind just picking Marvin Jones, Jarius Wright, or Joe Adams later on in the draft like rounds 3 or so. If Randle/Floyd/Kendall Wright are gone in the first that's what I'd do. Give ma a CB, RG, or OLB in the first as long as we get some recieving help in FA.

While I agree Willis' point is more likely, I can see Baalke and Harbaugh making a major trade since they have most of the pieces already assembled. They may feel that the team was one really strong WR from the Super Bowl last year. I would worry about jettisoning any of the WRs this year as they have some experience with Harbaugh and Smith.

Bringing in too many new WRs might be starting over. I guess I like continuity so much that I would sacrifice some upgrades in favor of maintaining stability.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Feb 18, 2012 at 7:44 AM ]
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
Preferably we can add a solid WR in Free Agency and then draft a WR in the 1st or 2nd round. Add in Crabtree, Morgan, Williams. Not too shabby

F williams
On SportsCenter this morning, Schefter said he thinks the 49ers will make a strong push for Colston is he ends up leaving NO.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:

F williams

Yeah, Williams won't be back.
No way we get more than one... we must make every effort to keep KYLE WILLIAMS! lol
I could see suiting up 4 WR's on game day in this offense, FA, Morgan, Crabtree, and a rookie...while we suit up 4 TE's Davis, Fleener, Walker, and Peele! Who want's to game plan against that!

Yes I put Crabtree as the #3!
Originally posted by Byisgod:
On SportsCenter this morning, Schefter said he thinks the 49ers will make a strong push for Colston is he ends up leaving NO.

f**k no. Two microfracture surgeries? His knees are a ticking time bomb.
I want Colston
  • dj43
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
I just dont see it happening. To echo what Tierney and Davis said yesterday on their show......

"If you are a top FA WR, would you want to go to a team that is a run heavy offense with Alex Smith as the QB?"

Im not saying the answer is going to be a resounding NO for most WRs....but it is definitely a question that they will all ask themselves.
Once again, the local one trick pony arrives just on time.

"Run heavy offense" may or may not be an issue. The problem with the offense this year was the lack of WRs (stating the obvious). Hence, a player like Garcon, who became frustrated with the failure last season, may see the opportunity to come here and become the piece that makes the offense more balanced AND an odds-on SB contender. Having an offensive-minded NFL Coach of the Year HC AND a winning record is a big draw for a receiver.

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Who? Colston? That's the first I've heard of that.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Feb 17, 2012 at 10:37 AM ]
i don't see it , this is what is going to happen , Ballke will waite for the inital FA frensy to subside then he will make his moves on a WR secondary Market so don't look @ the guys who are graded A+ , like the guy form the Chargers .

I think we will be better off to sign our f*gents and pick two guys in the draft not in the first round . and wait and see who falls to us after the final cuts.
Originally posted by mayo49:

I agree with Phoenix about 5% of the time but i do believe Colston is a chance if we went for him. Hes a WR in the most pass oriented Offense in the league.. despite the ball being spread around he does get his good share in except ive seen him disappear time to time, But he has had 3 knee surgeries like phoenix said and has supposevly got it taken care of..

Theres a good chance he wont be back in NO in my opinion though. they gotta Tag Brees if they dont get a deal done in time which is the likely scenario and they got there Probowl O-lineman to worry about.,. they got alot of playmakers and draft.. i see him walking.
  • dj43
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
9ers lifer has made a couple points that are worthy of discussing, and I agree that craps is going to end up elsewhere, and we are going to try and package him with our 2nd or possibly first pick for either a run at blackmon, or another top tier , but lesser quality than blackmon.
Packaging Crabtree and moving up is a nice idea if you are a 49er fan (I am) but it isn't realistic. MC has not proven himself to be even a 1st round value yet much less the #10 overall. Our best hope of getting value out of him is to bring in a solid #2 or better WR and hope MC becomes a player that MIGHT have value worth trading.

As to moving up; it would be far too costly to try to move up to get him though I would love to have him. The only other WR worth moving up for is Floyd and he is likely going around 13-15 and that would take a lot to move up there.

Of course this all depends on the combine but moving up for Wright or Randle seems the most likely if something like that is too happen. Still, I highly doubt Baalke will give up on Crabtree yet. The guy HAS been a big disappointment given his draft status but until he has a fully healthy TC we cannot truly judge his worth. I just can't see giving up the one decent WR we have in the hope the rookie we get would be an immediate contributor and get us to the SB.

It is going to take a FA and a rookie, along with a healthy Morgan and Crabtree to get this offense up to playoff grade.
  • dj43
Originally posted by mayo49:

Three knee surgeries including microfracture on BOTH knees. He never had burner speed but does have good moves and reads defenses very well. In the NO offense he is often the possession guy, not the deep threat. Morgan was just developing into that guy when he was injured. I fully expect him to come back at 100%. The fracture he had is not one that is ever problematic later on. From all I have read it was a simple fracture and has fully healed. Consequently, paying a lot of money for Colston is to only get a small upgrade over Morgan, and maybe on that is not all that healthy either.
Share 49ersWebzone