LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 301 users in the forums

Is there any 49er that is more over-rated than Delanie Walker?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
It's getting really f**king old watching him drop easy passes....
I gave him a pass in the regular season hoping he'd work on that s**t

He better not f**k up our super bowl chances
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Joe Buck mentioned that during the season Walker dropped 8 passes out of 39 targets. That means he's dropping the ball about 20% of the time. Totally unacceptable. He is what he is. A tremendously versatile player who doesn't quite have the hands/concentration needed to be a featured player in the passing game. He can be pretty darn good in spots though.

those numbers cant be right, right?

he had 4 drops last night alone
Originally posted by 4t9ers:
Joe Buck mentioned that during the season Walker dropped 8 passes out of 39 targets. That means he's dropping the ball about 20% of the time. Totally unacceptable. He is what he is. A tremendously versatile player who doesn't quite have the hands/concentration needed to be a featured player in the passing game. He can be pretty darn good in spots though.

Hands of stone. Plus the one he DID catch he landed out of bounds. Horrendous game. Keep HIS azz in to block and get VD out in the passing game.
Guy just has to concentrate on securing the ball.

Not sure if he's worried about getting hit or what. He dropped a couple of easy ones.
I wonder what Celek could do with all of the opportunities Walker gets. I'm thinking Celek could give us 20-50 yards a game if the passes thrown to Walker were thrown his way. It's ridiculous. I like Walker and want him to remain on the team, but for his offense, at best he is a 3rd TE. On another note, given his size, 6'0, 250 pounds, what does he look like running the ball?
Niners should let Delanie walk in the offseason. Yeah, he's a useful player, but the Niners could get a guy in the draft like Tuolo or Ertz who can block just as well and be more reliable in the passing game. He's useless out there as a receiver.

Hands like feet.
  • titan
  • Veteran
The answer is YES! Walker is a 4th rd pick VD is a 1st rd. That sums it up for me.
He gets open! Not everyone else is. Gots to pass to the open guy. He doesn't seem to have tyrannosaur arms, more an issue of hand/eye coordination or concentration. Note that he makes a lot of difficult catches and tends to drop the easier ones, sort of a pattern for the most part. That indicates that he is concentrating on the difficult passes and not enough on the easier ones.

Hate the drops, but he is a talented player and needs to be kept around unless some obvious superstar shows up. Also, note that his team mates seem to respect him, no eye-rolls or blame-stares when he drops the ball.
Originally posted by titan:
The answer is YES! Walker is a 4th rd pick VD is a 1st rd. That sums it up for me.

6th round pick actually.

Originally posted by carlgo:
He gets open! Not everyone else is. Gots to pass to the open guy. He doesn't seem to have tyrannosaur arms, more an issue of hand/eye coordination or concentration. Note that he makes a lot of difficult catches and tends to drop the easier ones, sort of a pattern for the most part. That indicates that he is concentrating on the difficult passes and not enough on the easier ones.

Hate the drops, but he is a talented player and needs to be kept around unless some obvious superstar shows up. Also, note that his team mates seem to respect him, no eye-rolls or blame-stares when he drops the ball.

Maybe his inability to actually catch the ball is one of the reasons why he's open moreso than others. In terms of priority to defend, Walker seems falls down the list behind VD, Crabtree and Moss.
He is rated?
  • titan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by titan:

6th round pick actually.

That makes it worse for Davis!
  • cools
  • Veteran
I have been a big fan of D'Walker over the years, but I'll be expecting the Niners to upgrade that position in the off season, too many drops
[ Edited by cools on Jan 13, 2013 at 9:16 AM ]
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 4t9ers:

They are right. Walker drops 1 pass out of every 5 targets, which isn't that terrible but as Crabtree said last year after the NFCCG - People talk bad about a player who gets thrown to 5 times and he drops 2 of them but guys who get targeted 10-15 times a game and 5 are dropped or not catchable but he has 80-100 yards and TD he had an "amazing" game. It's all perception based.

You have to give people the opportunity to make plays, does Walker really deserve that? No he doesn't because he's our #2 TE and realistically at the moment our FIFTH best option, when we're healthy he's 6th or lower on the totem pole if you will.
Share 49ersWebzone