LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 259 users in the forums

Is there any 49er that is more over-rated than Delanie Walker?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by titan:
That makes it worse for Davis!

When Walker goes for 200 yards receiving in the playoffs, I'll agree with you.
We need to draft a better pass catching TE.
*double post*
[ Edited by 9erfanAUS on Jan 13, 2013 at 9:26 AM ]
  • titan
  • Veteran
The role Walker plays for us is very hard to upgrade. TE/WR/Blocker/ Sp teams? I don't think the Jack of all trades backup is a position you can really upgrade. I think the starting TE position really can use some help. We are really blaming Walker for VD's shortcomings. In reality VD needs to be more productive to where we don't need to give Walker that many looks.
The role Walker plays for us is very hard to upgrade. TE/WR/Blocker/ Sp teams? I don't think the Jack of all trades backup is a position you can really upgrade. I think the starting TE position really can use some help. We are really blaming Walker for VD's shortcomings. In reality VD needs to be more productive to where we don't need to give Walker that many looks.

I disagree. My primary complaint is with Walker's hands which is something that has little to do with VD's production. Moreover, the reason why Walker is even in the game is because Williams and Manningham went down.
  • titan
  • Veteran
Walker has played a role on our team for the last four years and it has nothing to do with the other WR injuries. Walker on the field getting the ball thrown to him has everything to do with VD non production.

LOL.....and why not exactly? Walker was a 6th round WR. You can draft a TE that will do a solid job as a blocker, be far more reliable as a pass catcher and improve the offense even further.

This "jack of all trades" rubbish is absurd. Yes, hold on to a guy because he can do like a dozen different things, except only one of them really well, and is a major detriment in the passing game considering how many snaps the #2 TE gets in this offense.
It seems he makes catches that he shouldn't and drops the easy catchable passes. Go figure?
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
i hate him and with his drops last night i can not believe he has any fans left around here
It's a bitter-sweet feeling. He has 10 f**kups in a row, but then he'll do everything right at the end to earn some forgiveness. Sucked it up all night long, but then caught a big pass in the 4th to get us a first down, and then recovered the onside kick with no hesitation.

He's a good blocker. I think we should keep him.

• cciowa
  • Veteran
i am sick of keeping certain players cuz they can only do one thing well. we did that with ginn and that did not turn out well and keeping walker cuz he blocks well is illogical. i think we can find two decent tight ends who can both catch and block,, it should not be that hard
Walker has never had great hands or even good hands for that matter. Whereas Vernon Davis's disappearance has occurred in this season only. One has nothing to do with the other. Considering what Davis's production has been from 2009 to 2011, I would expect what happen this season to not be the norm. We can't say the same for Delanie Walker. I like him as a player, but he cannot be the no. 2 TE in this offense.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:

I disagree. My primary complaint is with Walker's hands which is something that has little to do with VD's production. Moreover, the reason why Walker is even in the game is because Williams and Manningham went down.
Walker is always in the game because he is probably our 2nd or 3rd best skill position blocker and we are primarily a run team. They have him executing blocks on DT's. So while his drops and even fumbles at times leave a lot to be desired, he does sooo many other things well. I would say he is far from OVER-rated because most fans only look at his stats and don't rate him highly at all
This week, Delanie Walker, who had a team-best 16.4 yards per catch, estimated he caught 500 balls from a JUGS machine during practice in an effort to eliminate his drops.

Two amazing statements there.

1. He had a team high average per catch!

2. It took him this long to hit the JUGS machine!

Having the most drops in the NFL is embarrassing.
[ Edited by ArmchairQB on Jan 19, 2013 at 4:50 PM ]
Originally posted by ArmchairQB:
This week, Delanie Walker, who had a team-best 16.4 yards per catch, estimated he caught 500 balls from a JUGS machine during practice in an effort to eliminate his drops.

Two amazing statements there.

1. He had a team high average per catch!

2. It took him this long to hit the JUGS machine!

Having the most drops in the NFL is embarrassing.

If he could develop his hands, he would be such a dangerous weapon, not all too different from a guy like Aaron Hernandez. If teams had to really, I mean REALLY, worry about him as a major threat, it would open the offense up even more. I would LOVE to see him develop into a reliable pass catcher but after this many years in his career, I just don't see it all of a sudden changing.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 19, 2013 at 4:54 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone