LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 145 users in the forums

Is there any 49er that is more over-rated than Delanie Walker?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
It was funny because the only reason I would boo Delanie Walker was because Vernon was on my fantasy team. I didn't actually hate him, I thought he was pretty good, but he does remind me of Dez Bryant and Victor Cruz who tend to drop simple passes.
Originally posted by Wodwo:
Maybe they haven't been updated because you're the only one that thinks they were drops.

Think what you want. I'm not going to change your mind.

The only people who matter are the coaches and Kap. They both trust Walker.

You're right, he's a great receiver, Jerry Rice would be jealous to have hands like his.......................Your amazingly convincing and cogent argument has totally made me see the light, so what if he drops as many passes as guys who have three or four times as many receptions, he's an invaluable asset to this team and should rightfully be franchised this offseason.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 1, 2013 at 10:37 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Maybe they haven't been updated because you're the only one that thinks they were drops.

You're right, he's a great receiver, Jerry Rice would be jealous to have hands like his.......................Your amazingly convincing and cogent argument has totally made me see the light, so what if he drops as many passes as guys who have three or four times as many receptions, he's an invaluable asset to this team and should rightfully be franchised this offseason.

i cant find anywhere that says Delanie has 9 drops.

it says 7 everywhere
The 1 drop that sticks out in my mind that pisses me off the most is the would be TD against the Rams. Other than that, I don't think Walker is as bad as a lot of people think.
Alex smith is the most overrated niner. Delanie walker pre jaw break was a very reliable target. Unfortunately he hasn't been the same since and drops more balls than he catches. He has all the natural tools but I think after getting rocked last year it's affected him a lot.
Originally posted by GBNinerFan:
The 1 drop that sticks out in my mind that pisses me off the most is the would be TD against the Rams. Other than that, I don't think Walker is as bad as a lot of people think.

I agree. He does a lot of other things really well that not all #2 tight ends can do.
Originally posted by asyouwerebanddotcom:
Alex smith is the most overrated niner. Delanie walker pre jaw break was a very reliable target. Unfortunately he hasn't been the same since and drops more balls than he catches. He has all the natural tools but I think after getting rocked last year it's affected him a lot.

Gimme a break. Another Alex hater? Since he had his contract redone he's been earning what he's been paid.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

Gimme a break. Another Alex hater? Since he had his contract redone he's been earning what he's been paid.
of course this is the truth in regards to alex. back to topic, the simple answer to this question is no. you can not tell me we can not upgrade our back up tight ends in the off season and make them better than what they are now.. alex rebounded from a torn up shoulder and torn up confidence to help lead us to a great year last year,,,, if poor little walker can not recover from a busted jaw to be at the very least dependable, well i just do not know
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
The drops numbers haven't been updated since the New England game, if you go back a couple weeks he had the same number listed then too, yet he's had a couple more drops, unless those somehow just don't count.

I'm not counting targeted passes either. Generally, as an NFL receiver, if you're dropping more than 1 pass for every 5-6 caught, you are doing very poorly.

He should have basically double the amount of his current receptions to remotely be able to justify his considerable amount of drops.

i like ck but i think you over estimate the power and influence he has on the coaches. if the coaches want to dumpe walker and upgrade this off season, that is the way it will be

21 catches and 9 drops (4 of which were touchdowns). Nahhh hes not as bad as we think. lol

The drops numbers haven't been updated since the New England game, if you go back a couple weeks he had the same number listed then too, yet he's had a couple more drops, unless those somehow just don't count.

I'm not counting targeted passes either. Generally, as an NFL receiver, if you're dropping more than 1 pass for every 5-6 caught, you are doing very poorly.

He should have basically double the amount of his current receptions to remotely be able to justify his considerable amount of drops.

Dude, you are a thoughtful poster with a good sense of humor, so I can't tell if you are joking here. Kap has had Walker dialed in with amazing accuracy on a few deep TD balls, and Walker has clanged them. The would-be-td last week was the best pass I have seen all year. He doinked another dime against NE. I do concede your point that the coaching staff trusts him (at least in contrast to other available options), because they keep putting him on the field. In regards to the QB, though, Kap has made a point of saying he throws to whomever he sees open, and Walker gets a lot of favorable matchups.

They were definitely drops.

Ball hits hands, bounces off hands, hits floor. That's a drop by anybody's standards.
Originally posted by cciowa:

of course this is the truth in regards to alex. back to topic, the simple answer to this question is no. you can not tell me we can not upgrade our back up tight ends in the off season and make them better than what they are now.. alex rebounded from a torn up shoulder and torn up confidence to help lead us to a great year last year,,,, if poor little walker can not recover from a busted jaw to be at the very least dependable, well i just do not know

The DEFENSE led us to a great year last year. Other than that, I agree with this post.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by cciowa:

The DEFENSE led us to a great year last year. Other than that, I agree with this post.
fine, he helped lead us to a great year just as ck helped lead us to a divisional title, ok? walkers little busted jaw is a piss poor excuse for his up and down polarizing play this year in my opinion
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:

21 catches and 9 drops (4 of which were touchdowns). Nahhh hes not as bad as we think. lol

Again, where is the number 9 coming from? He's not even the starter, and like someone said above, he does a lot of other things a number 2 TE don't. Shouldn't we feel fortunate that we have a backup that could possible start on some other teams? I am.
Share 49ersWebzone