LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 254 users in the forums

Is there any 49er that is more over-rated than Delanie Walker?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by 49rz4Life:
How many # 2 TEs you know would have made the catch he made on Sunday ? Or the play where he danced along the sideline for the td ? Wat other playmakers do we need to get rid of ? u know wat........

Actually A LOT of them.....people always try to come up with stuff that this guy does and making it seem amazing when its routine for other players, but then again, with Walker, even routine catches become special just because he happens to actually hold on to the ball.

Alot of them were better........now................
He gets MORE snaps than the vast majority of the rest of the leagues #2 TE's. In this offense he's not a #2 TE in the traditional sense, he's playing in over 50% of the snaps and is more or less a starter. Judging him on the same basis as Joe Blow, the #2 TE for some random team who warms the sidelines most of the time is ridiculous.

They are Joe Blows and bench warmers............the only thing asinine is this thread.
Originally posted by gold49digger:
I don't think he is any more overrated as he is underrated. He is very inconsistent. But if he does manage to secure the ball, good things happen. If he could stop dropping and fumbling, he MIGHT be a pro bowler.

Lol. Classic example of the "if I start my claim with 'might' I can say whatever I want and people cant argue with me, no matter how absurd" thought pattern. I'm sorry but this is laughable. Under no circumstance will Delanie be a probowler.
Does anyone have a count on how many passes he's dropped?
He's hot and cold, but seeing Delanie missing in the playoffs last year (specially limited in the Giants game due to that broken jaw), our offense was hurting. Crabs, Delanie, and Moss are gonna have to carry the passing game into the great beyond.
carlos rogers is easily the most overrated

dude gets smoked like tri tip in BBQ PItmasters
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Does anyone have a count on how many passes he's dropped?

21 caught, 9 dropped.
Originally posted by Allx9er:
if anybody round here has really framed/stated what they want out of a #2te whether it be walker or anybody else. The position itself is an important part of our offense and has a pretty big impact on how the game is called imo.

Some people understate it in an almost obnoxious fashion, of the "oh....he's ONLY A #2 TE....what do YOU expect?" variety, forgetting that the #2 TE in this offense sees significantly more snaps than the vast majority of #2 TE's in the league.

It should be someone that can block capably, as well as being a threat to receive and actually make the catches when the ball gets passed to them.

In Before......"oh he's a jack of all trades, you can't put value on what he does, he can block, return kicks, punt, serve popcorn, park cars, rescue senior citizens from a burning nursing home....."

21 catches and 9 drops....including 4 in the endzone. To have about a 50% drop rate is just plain embarrassing.

To keep that number in perspective, the 49ers have 30 dropped passes and 289 receptions as a team. Delanie Walker accounts for 30% of the dropped passes on this team while only catching about 7% of the total passes. He's got the same amount of drops as Dez Bryant....who has about 70 more receptions. Jimmy Graham leads the NFL with 13 dropped passes, but has 85 total receptions on the season.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 1, 2013 at 9:22 PM ]
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
if anybody round here has really framed/stated what they want out of a #2te whether it be walker or anybody else. The position itself is an important part of our offense and has a pretty big impact on how the game is called imo.

Some people understate it in an almost obnoxious fashion, of the "oh....he's ONLY A #2 TE....what do YOU expect?" variety, forgetting that the #2 TE in this offense sees significantly more snaps than the vast majority of #2 TE's in the league.

It should be someone that can block capably, as well as being a threat to receive and actually make the catches when the ball gets passed to them.

In Before......"oh he's a jack of all trades, you can't put value on what he does, he can block, return kicks, punt, serve popcorn, park cars, rescue senior citizens from a burning nursing home....."

21 catches and 9 drops....including 4 in the endzone. To have about a 50% drop rate is just plain embarrassing.

http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/leaders.asp?range=nfl&type=receiving&rank=232

I'm only finding sources that say he has 7 drops.

Formula should be receptions divided by (receptions + drops) to find catch percentage, which is 75%, so his drop rate is one in four.

If we use the number of times he was targeted instead, he dropped 18% of passes intended for him.

Still pretty ugly, but not as ugly as Phoenix49ers math.
Originally posted by Wodwo:
Originally posted by blizzuntz:

http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/leaders.asp?range=nfl&type=receiving&rank=232

Formula should be receptions divided by (receptions + drops) to find catch percentage, which is 75%, so his drop rate is one in four.

If we use the number of times he was targeted instead, he dropped 18% of passes intended for him.

his math = accuracy of Akers

Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
Lol. Classic example of the "if I start my claim with 'might' I can say whatever I want and people cant argue with me, no matter how absurd" thought pattern. I'm sorry but this is laughable. Under no circumstance will Delanie be a probowler.

I don't think its laughable, if you see some of the plays he made when he actually hangs on to the ball, its pretty impressive. Now I'm not saying he will ever be a pro bowler, but it's not improbable.
Originally posted by Wodwo:

The drops numbers haven't been updated since the New England game, if you go back a couple weeks he had the same number listed then too, yet he's had a couple more drops, unless those somehow just don't count.

I'm not counting targeted passes either. Generally, as an NFL receiver, if you're dropping more than 1 pass for every 5-6 caught, you are doing very poorly.

He should have basically double the amount of his current receptions to remotely be able to justify his considerable amount of drops.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 1, 2013 at 10:08 PM ]
Originally posted by gold49digger:
I don't think its laughable, if you see some of the plays he made when he actually hangs on to the ball, its pretty impressive. Now I'm not saying he will ever be a pro bowler, but it's not improbable.

Originally posted by Legbreaker:
Why is Delanie so highly regarded?

Here's why:
1) Great blocker
2) Natural receiver
3) Extremely hard worker
4) Great in space

The guy does a bunch of little things that don't show up on the stat sheet. He's a really good player, and a great complement to Vernon.

Please lock this.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
The drops numbers haven't been updated since the New England game, if you go back a couple weeks he had the same number listed then too, yet he's had a couple more drops, unless those somehow just don't count.

I'm not counting targeted passes either. Generally, as an NFL receiver, if you're dropping more than 1 pass for every 5-6 caught, you are doing very poorly.

He should have basically double the amount of his current receptions to remotely be able to justify his considerable amount of drops.

Maybe they haven't been updated because you're the only one that thinks they were drops.

Think what you want. I'm not going to change your mind.

The only people who matter are the coaches and Kap. They both trust Walker.
Share 49ersWebzone