There are 81 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Is there any 49er that is more over-rated than Delanie Walker?

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I think Delanie Walker is overrated is people are viewing him as a pass catcher or any kind of receiving threat. He isn't at all. However is is really good at everything else he does. For that reason, I want us to lock him up longterm if it's the right price. But the fact is, this guy cannot be a #2 receiving TE in this offense. All we need is a guy to come in and be Eric Johnson (7th round pick). A security blanket that can find soft spots and catch passes thrown his way. He doesn't have to be this great scorer or a guy with great speed like Vernon Davis is. Just a guy that can come in and catch passes thrown his way since the defense will be focused on taking away our other players. Delanie Walker's weaknesses as a pass receiver is what will prevent him from being able to be a starting TE in this passing league.

One of the primary reasons he's out there is to catch the ball, if he's incapable of doing that, then the team is better off using an offensive lineman who can't catch worth s**t either but is a better blocker. Do you want a 6'0", 240 guy blocking or a 6'4", 300+ blocker? Part of being the #2 TE in this offense is the ability to make plays when the defense leaves you open due to having cover guys like VD, Crabtree...etc. If you can't make those catches, then you need to GTFO.

Delanie is a good blocker and is a pass threat. You have to put a DB on him, which frees up other guys. If you put a 300 pound TE, you can cover him with an LB, leaving additional DBs to watch VD, Crabs etc...He has many drops but also some good catches. Just don't throw him the ball in clutch situations and let a DB cover him and go to VD or Crabs, IMO.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Dec 9, 2012 at 1:51 AM ]
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
I think Delanie Walker is overrated is people are viewing him as a pass catcher or any kind of receiving threat. He isn't at all. However is is really good at everything else he does. For that reason, I want us to lock him up longterm if it's the right price. But the fact is, this guy cannot be a #2 receiving TE in this offense. All we need is a guy to come in and be Eric Johnson (7th round pick). A security blanket that can find soft spots and catch passes thrown his way. He doesn't have to be this great scorer or a guy with great speed like Vernon Davis is. Just a guy that can come in and catch passes thrown his way since the defense will be focused on taking away our other players. Delanie Walker's weaknesses as a pass receiver is what will prevent him from being able to be a starting TE in this passing league.

One of the primary reasons he's out there is to catch the ball, if he's incapable of doing that, then the team is better off using an offensive lineman who can't catch worth s**t either but is a better blocker. Do you want a 6'0", 240 guy blocking or a 6'4", 300+ blocker? Part of being the #2 TE in this offense is the ability to make plays when the defense leaves you open due to having cover guys like VD, Crabtree...etc. If you can't make those catches, then you need to GTFO.

Delanie is a good blocker and is a pass threat. You have to put a DB on him, which frees up other guys. If you put a 300 pound TE, you can cover him with an LB, leaving additional DBs to watch VD, Crabs etc...He has many drops but also some good catches. Just don't throw him the ball in clutch situations and let a DB cover him and go to VD or Crabs, IMO.

Agree, though I have to ask at what point does that become a predictable tendency? If defenses know we won't throw to him in high pressure situations no matter who's covering him, why not just cover him with a LB anyway?
Originally posted by ninermedic:

Agree, though I have to ask at what point does that become a predictable tendency? If defenses know we won't throw to him in high pressure situations no matter who's covering him, why not just cover him with a LB anyway?

Then that would be to our advantage. If the play breaks down thats a good #3 or 4 option.

Then that would be to our advantage. If the play breaks down thats a good #3 or 4 option.

lol but he's not gonna catch it!

lol but he's not gonna catch it!

at that point still got to throw it. He's made some tough catches before as well.
Trying to think back on Walkers drops and I'm not sure there is a pattern. Sometimes a player will struggle with over the shoulder or high or low passes. Anyone see a pattern with Walker?
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Trying to think back on Walkers drops and I'm not sure there is a pattern. Sometimes a player will struggle with over the shoulder or high or low passes. Anyone see a pattern with Walker?

Don't throw short and hard passes to him below the waist.

Don't throw high and hard passes to him above the waist.

If you have him running a deep route, he needs to be on the right of the QB... he sucks catching deep passes with his left hand on the outside.

If he sneaks a peak down the field before securing the ball, he will drop it. At his age... sorry, he ain't changing.

Don't ever expect him to make tough jump balls unless he's in London.

you're welcome...
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Don't throw short and hard passes to him below the waist.

Don't throw high and hard passes to him above the waist.

If you have him running a deep route, he needs to be on the right of the QB... he sucks catching deep passes with his left hand on the outside.

If he sneaks a peak down the field before securing the ball, he will drop it. At his age... sorry, he ain't changing.

Don't ever expect him to make tough jump balls unless he's in London.

you're welcome...

Thank you! Actually, I was wondering if the coaches and QBs could isolate his most disastrous receiving issues and eliminate those play calls when he is on the field. I know teams have done this for receivers--don't send them over the middle, etc.--so it can be done. Of course, at some point you need to think about upgrading the position. Now might be the time--in the off season.
He IS over-rated as a receiver because he occassionally makes a circus catch, but mostly because he has the speed to get real separation in his match-up on LBs. But his value on the team to the coaches comes from:

1. Good special teams player - ideal size and exceptional speed
2. Has become a very good H-back type blocker - very good
3. His match-up problems forces defenses to adjust to him, even when he doesn't get the ball. He can make the LB and Safety follow his route.

BUT, you would think they could find a replacement for the above that can CONSISTENTLY actually catch the ball.
Originally posted by HearstFan:
He IS over-rated as a receiver because he occassionally makes a circus catch, but mostly because he has the speed to get real separation in his match-up on LBs. But his value on the team to the coaches comes from:

1. Good special teams player - ideal size and exceptional speed
2. Has become a very good H-back type blocker - very good
3. His match-up problems forces defenses to adjust to him, even when he doesn't get the ball. He can make the LB and Safety follow his route.

BUT, you would think they could find a replacement for the above that can CONSISTENTLY actually catch the ball.

I think Alex is more overrated. But in terms of Delanie, it seems his good blocking makes people think he is a great tight end. While i think his ability to block is great, his ability to catch is certainly lacking, I think we could draft a more complete player. However, until he is replaced i am always hoping for progress on his part.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JustMike:
I think Alex is more overrated. But in terms of Delanie, it seems his good blocking makes people think he is a great tight end. While i think his ability to block is great, his ability to catch is certainly lacking, I think we could draft a more complete player. However, until he is replaced i am always hoping for progress on his part.

stop it, what the hell does alex have to do with walker? walker needs to be and should be replaced after this year. come on, we need a guy who can catch. why do some have to give alex a shot all the time?

Beware the Catowl!
My prediction is that some team overpays Walker in FA next season, and then SF drafts a TE that takes his place with one of their bajillion draft picks.
He is not coming back