There are 190 users in the forums

Is there any 49er that is more over-rated than Delanie Walker?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Delanie Walker is a decent TE. He can block pretty good, he can really separate from linebackers in coverage, but he has hands of stone (good nickname for a boxer, not a TE). At the end of the day he is replaceable.
[ Edited by bzborow1 on Dec 7, 2012 at 7:41 AM ]
Originally posted by sachie23:
I'm sorry but he is no way a natural receiver. He drops a ton of passes.

I question the hard worker part as well. He's been making the same mistakes year in and year out for quite some time now, if he's looking for a big payday at the end of the year, I happily say adios.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Pretty important aspect for a guy receiving the ball....

This. He's dropped 40% of the passes sent his way this year. That is so unspeakably awful that it boggles the mind.
I like his versatility but always felt he drops the easy catch then will make a tough catch. I don't think he is overrated at all though. He is a #2 TE with some explosive ability but VERY incosistent.
  • Lifer
  • Veteran
Classic role player. Versatile and hard nosed, but with plenty of holes in his game. The reason he's overrated is because writers and sportscasters are always looking for guys like him. There's a certain type of story or anecdote that the media types like churn out for every game. It's the "let's take a moment to recognize the unsung heroes" story, and Walker fits the formula to a tee. Consequently, every time the national media covers a 9ers game, Troy Aikman (or whoever) will point him out. He ends up with too much praise and focus for a role player, i.e., overrated.
Delanie walker is slightly overrated in being an overall great/above avg. TE in the NFC. He does so much dirty work to let our big playmakers make plays ....unoticed blocks , he takes great prode in encompassing his role on that offense. He gets Slightly hyped bc of his pack of talent in the receiving game that really blares out . He is what he his and if another TE is the future so be it . I would rather see him blossom into a complete modern day TE.
Yes, Joe Staley. Holds all the time and gets burned pretty frequently.
Delanie walker is slightly overrated in being an overall great/above avg. TE in the NFC. He does so much dirty work to let our big playmakers make plays ....unoticed blocks , he takes great prode in encompassing his role on that offense. He gets Slightly hyped bc of his pack of talent in the receiving game that really blares out . He is what he his and if another TE is the future so be it . I would rather see him blossom into a complete mpfodern day TE.
Originally posted by WookieOftheYear:
The guy is a mismatch, too fast for LBS and safeties and too strong for CBs no he is not a Gronk or Hernandez but he is a very good player, no reason to have this much hate for the guy

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Just asking. I keep hearing that the 49ers shouldn't draft a tight-end because they've got one great TE and one "very good TE." I'm just trying to discover what this is being based off of?

-His career high of 330 yards receiving?

-His career total of 5 touchdown's?

-The fact that he's 6 feet tall, considerably shorter than just about every other tight-end in football?

-The fact that up until this season he had fumbled the ball away more times than he had scored touchdowns?

-After the Giants game he went the rest of the season without a reception and dropped a few key passes during that time.

I just don't get the hype. Yeah he's a good blocker and a so-so receiver, but he's also extremely under-sized, seeing how frequently the 49ers use 2 TE sets, I think its rather foolish to say "oh no, they don't need to improve" when you've got a rather ordinary 2nd TE by all accounts.

I'm just trying to figure out where the hype is coming from. He's a solid player and a good stop-gap but to go out and say "no, we're good, we don't need anymore" when New England had 2 tight-ends with basically 1000 yard seasons, when Carolina has 2 TE's going 6'5", is very short-sighted.

Yet I keep hearing on the Webzone and pretty much everywhere else "oh, no, we're good, we have two good tight ends, we don't need anymore", like this self-perpetuating mythology that has built up.

Originally posted by theGOAT:
Originally posted by RonMexico:
I dunno maybe because he can play like 10 positions and is a capable receiver

this. everyone move along now.

Originally posted by HessianDud:
walker is a good player. yes, if we have a chance at an elite TE prospect we should take him (assuming he's BPA), but i wouldn't consider upgrading TE to be a priority.

Just asking. I keep hearing that the 49ers shouldn't draft a tight-end because they've got one great TE and one "very good TE." I'm just trying to discover what this is being based off of?

-His career high of 330 yards receiving?

-His career total of 5 touchdown's?

-The fact that he's 6 feet tall, considerably shorter than just about every other tight-end in football?

-The fact that up until this season he had fumbled the ball away more times than he had scored touchdowns?

-After the Giants game he went the rest of the season without a reception and dropped a few key passes during that time.

I just don't get the hype. Yeah he's a good blocker and a so-so receiver, but he's also extremely under-sized, seeing how frequently the 49ers use 2 TE sets, I think its rather foolish to say "oh no, they don't need to improve" when you've got a rather ordinary 2nd TE by all accounts.

I'm just trying to figure out where the hype is coming from. He's a solid player and a good stop-gap but to go out and say "no, we're good, we don't need anymore" when New England had 2 tight-ends with basically 1000 yard seasons, when Carolina has 2 TE's going 6'5", is very short-sighted.

Yet I keep hearing on the Webzone and pretty much everywhere else "oh, no, we're good, we have two good tight ends, we don't need anymore", like this self-perpetuating mythology that has built up.

The NFL is different stats of a TE are not indicative of the role and importance he has to his team( #46) . Then new England's TE's take on a whole diff role as TE and that's how they fit into the offense gameplay. So with that said I'm not going to give him another contract for a high amount , I would ensure FS position is addressed next year as well as 1 or 2 o D lineman
He's a great blocker but the guy can't catch
good backup TE but I dont think he can start like some people think
[ Edited by InconvenienTTruth21 on Dec 7, 2012 at 9:16 AM ]
Originally posted by InconvenienTTruth21:
He's a great blocker but the guy can't catch
good backup TE but I dont think he can start like some people think

keep walker in to block at all times..send VD

Love Delany but his hands have been very inconsistant.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
People get all worked up over Walker. He should of caught that yes. But look at the bigger picture. He blocks realyl well and run routes and has also made some big time catches for us.

The play was dialed up to a number two tight end and of all the people to throw it to (VD, Crabs, Moss, Manningham). We go to our number two tight end, and he gets flamed for it. Where are the plays to VD in the endzone?

Or he could just learn to catch the f**king ball after 6 seasons. 40% drop rate is ridiculous, who cares if he's the #2 TE when in this offense the #2 TE gets more time out on the field than the #3 WR. For all intents and purposes the #2 TE is a starter in this offense and is involved in over 50% of the snaps. People get worked up because he's been a giant waste of space for large chunks of the season. Last year he went over half the season without making a single catch, call me crazy but maybe people expect more from a guy playing that many snaps?

You're looking at it all wrong.

This is a power running team. Walker is a good blocker.

Walker also happens to be a former WR that can force defenses to account for him in the pass game.

What Walker isn't is a TE. He's an extra blocker. One that the coaches want on the field.

Walker has been targeted 25 times this season. That's sixth on the team.

The team is second to last in pass attempts and first in completion percentage.

If you think he's over-rated, take it up with the coaching staff. Apparently they disagree.
Originally posted by vermonator:

Hes also prone to the big fumble at times too.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Willisfn4life:
Originally posted by vermonator:

Hes also prone to the big fumble at times too.

Three fumbles in his career.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
I used to think Walker was a decent player but now Im like f**k him.
Share 49ersWebzone