LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 219 users in the forums

Is there any 49er that is more over-rated than Delanie Walker?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
People get all worked up over Walker. He should of caught that yes. But look at the bigger picture. He blocks realyl well and run routes and has also made some big time catches for us.

The play was dialed up to a number two tight end and of all the people to throw it to (VD, Crabs, Moss, Manningham). We go to our number two tight end, and he gets flamed for it. Where are the plays to VD in the endzone?

Or he could just learn to catch the f**king ball after 6 seasons. 40% drop rate is ridiculous, who cares if he's the #2 TE when in this offense the #2 TE gets more time out on the field than the #3 WR. For all intents and purposes the #2 TE is a starter in this offense and is involved in over 50% of the snaps. People get worked up because he's been a giant waste of space for large chunks of the season. Last year he went over half the season without making a single catch, call me crazy but maybe people expect more from a guy playing that many snaps?
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
Over rated?

He is like the 23rd highest paid player on the team, how the F can he be over rated?

About 99% of NFL fans don't even know who he is. He has made BIG time blocks to open up huge critical plays that has won us many games.

VD used to be Mr dropsies while being a big time blocker, but he was the HIGHEST paid player on the team

Because he gets basically starter minutes on a top football team but his actual production is garbage and has been for quite some time? He rarely gets open to make catches and when he does, he's literally almost got a 50/50 chance of either catching the pass or dropping it. His drop rate this year is about 40% which is by far the worst in the league.

and how about all the critical blocks he has made for many key runs he has made?

do the math, VD gets paid almost 4 times the amount Walker makes, is he producing 4 times as much?

Im not saying he hasn't had his doe moments, but just remember, 99% of non Niner fans don't know who he is. Amongst Niners fans, he may be overrated. But amongst the NFL he can't be over rated bc people don't even know who he is
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
People get all worked up over Walker. He should of caught that yes. But look at the bigger picture. He blocks realyl well and run routes and has also made some big time catches for us.

The play was dialed up to a number two tight end and of all the people to throw it to (VD, Crabs, Moss, Manningham). We go to our number two tight end, and he gets flamed for it. Where are the plays to VD in the endzone?

Or he could just learn to catch the f**king ball after 6 seasons. 40% drop rate is ridiculous, who cares if he's the #2 TE when in this offense the #2 TE gets more time out on the field than the #3 WR. For all intents and purposes the #2 TE is a starter in this offense and is involved in over 50% of the snaps. People get worked up because he's been a giant waste of space for large chunks of the season. Last year he went over half the season without making a single catch, call me crazy but maybe people expect more from a guy playing that many snaps?

Thats exactly why we can't call a play for him soley there. He's a good second or third. option, not the focal point, which is what they were using him on that play. Thats all i'm saying. Don't make Walker the go to guy on a critical red zone play...Make him plan C or the scramble drill.

Can't have every guy on the field as a stud, so you have to use the actual studs you have that can actually catch.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Dec 6, 2012 at 9:16 PM ]
Who really considers Delanie Walker a great player ? How is he overrated ? He gets the job done. Maybe not as consistent as we want but he has been instrumental in our gameplan. His speed and athleticsm for a TE is exceptional. Lets not expect him to have Brent Jones hands now. Hes not overrated. Whos calling him a pro bowler or first stringer. Hes made some dam good plays now come on. When he made his way down the sideline on that td like that come on........come on u know what......
He's a 'gadget' player at best, not a 'play-maker', not the kind of guy you put the game on to take it home in the redzone consistently (he'll get you two or three redzone touchdowns a year, and I think he reached his limit after the Seahawks game). Sadly though due to your WRs getting f**ked with injuries at this point in the season, he needs to step up his game.
This
kaepernick
My only issue with Delanie are his drops.
The Long Snapper
Dashon Goldson.

david akers
delanie walker f**kin sucks. i dont think anyone who gets used as little as he does in the passing game drops as many passes as this a*****e and still has a job.
I thought he was rated as a good blocker who drops a lot of passes? I wouldn't exactly call that overrated and in fact is pretty accurate.
Originally posted by doc_brown_:
My only issue with Delanie are his drops.

Pretty important aspect for a guy receiving the ball....
Originally posted by Legbreaker:
Why is Delanie so highly regarded?

Here's why:
1) Great blocker
2) Natural receiver
3) Extremely hard worker
4) Great in space

The guy does a bunch of little things that don't show up on the stat sheet. He's a really good player, and a great complement to Vernon.
I'm sorry but he is no way a natural receiver. He drops a ton of passes.
Share 49ersWebzone