There are 145 users in the forums

Is there any 49er that is more over-rated than Delanie Walker?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Axl49
  • Veteran
Kap
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by IowaNiner16:
One big question going into 2013. Is there someone that can be our explosive TE2 via draft or free agency. I'd hate to draft a kid we've got to wait 3 years for when Delanie is a capable TE2. A bunch wanted Fleener this year, he's gonna take time. Delanie does a lot of good things.

He's also 6 f**king feet tall and can't catch the ball when he was originally drafted as a WR. I care f**k all about his blocking at this point, being a midget backup offensive lineman isn't going to get it done. The 49ers need to bring in a big, tall, physical receiving threat at TE and there's a few to choose from in the draft who
match that description.

I wonder if the coaching staff has Celek in mind as he develops. He seemed to have descent hands and is 6'5. I think Delanie might me gone next year even if there isn't a better option.
I like him, but his inconsistency with pass catching is maddening. And everytime he does catch a ball, i want him to just go down because I am so scared he will fumble.
[ Edited by Hoovtrain on Dec 6, 2012 at 9:49 PM ]
Originally posted by cook49ers:
I think we keep Walker. Only a handful of teams (primarily NE) has a 2-headed TE monster that they can use effectively in most down situations. VD is a beast, and with Kaep being more of a resourceful QB (in terms of spreading the ball), I think VD will get a lot more chances in the coming years. Walker is a good compliment to Davis. Since the Kaep era, he's made some bone-headed drops, but he's also made some key 3rd down catches for some big chunks of yards. Plus, he's good at blocking and doesnt commit penalties.

I like the VD-Walker combo, and I think it'll have success for many years.

Not sure if serious. On both fronts, Walker is an absolutely lousy compliment to Davis. For a team that runs the 2 TE offense as much as the 49ers do, having one that keeps dragging you down is inexcusable. I hope Walker leaves and that we never speak of this disaster again.
Originally posted by IowaNiner16:
I wonder if the coaching staff has Celek in mind as he develops. He seemed to have descent hands and is 6'5. I think Delanie might me gone next year even if there isn't a better option.

I think no matter what, Celek will end up in the #3 spot again next year. Dion Sims is my latest draft "want" pick to step in as the #2 TE on this team.
I think we keep Walker. Only a handful of teams (primarily NE) has a 2-headed TE monster that they can use effectively in most down situations. VD is a beast, and with Kaep being more of a resourceful QB (in terms of spreading the ball), I think VD will get a lot more chances in the coming years. Walker is a good compliment to Davis. Since the Kaep era, he's made some bone-headed drops, but he's also made some key 3rd down catches for some big chunks of yards. Plus, he's good at blocking and doesnt commit penalties.

I like the VD-Walker combo, and I think it'll have success for many years.

Not sure if serious. On both fronts, Walker is an absolutely lousy compliment to Davis. For a team that runs the 2 TE offense as much as the 49ers do, having one that keeps dragging you down is inexcusable. I hope Walker leaves and that we never speak of this disaster again.

Walker has had a bad season, but he has played well for us in the past. I agree that we're not exactly the Gronk-Hernandez combo of NE, but Walker is still better than Celek and anyone else available in the draft who we would have to develop.
I think a better compliment to Davis would be a real tall guy like Jimmy Grahm who actually catches the ball in the clutch. Walker will make a good catch, but then he's just as likely to have a clutch pass bounce right off his hands as he did last Sunday. Davis is a stone-cold blocker AND can catch the ball. A tall guy like Grahm would be a good compliment.
walker is insanely overrated and when he finally has 1 good play people for some reason feel reassured that he is good
I've always been a D-Love fan; but, I'm starting to wonder if he's just a really good natural player that's not willing to put in the work to be Great.
Walker has had a bad season, but he has played well for us in the past. I agree that we're not exactly the Gronk-Hernandez combo of NE, but Walker is still better than Celek and anyone else available in the draft who we would have to develop.

Strongly disagree with that. Dwayne Allen is already playing better right now than Walker has ever played in his career. There are several legit TE prospects in the draft who could turn out to be exceptionally better also. Dion Sims out of Michigan State could very well turn out to be an ever better blocker with actual legit receiving ability.

Strongly disagree with that. Dwayne Allen is already playing better right now than Walker has ever played in his career. There are several legit TE prospects in the draft who could turn out to be exceptionally better also. Dion Sims out of Michigan State could very well turn out to be an ever better blocker with actual legit receiving ability.

Better than Celek? I don't think so. Celek is a beast.
Over rated?

He is like the 23rd highest paid player on the team, how the F can he be over rated?

About 99% of NFL fans don't even know who he is. He has made BIG time blocks to open up huge critical plays that has won us many games.

VD used to be Mr dropsies while being a big time blocker, but he was the HIGHEST paid player on the team
Originally posted by D_Niner:
I've always been a D-Love fan; but, I'm starting to wonder if he's just a really good natural player that's not willing to put in the work to be Great.

He's a guy out of position. He's 6 feet tall, that makes him the shortest tight-end in football. One of the big advantages with tight-ends is that they are usually big receivers that present tremendous matchup problems. Delanie is small enough to get covered with a single defensive back, one of the reasons he gets shut down so often. He's a "jack of all trades" or whatever BS people use to make themselves feel better about this guy failing to show up on the stat sheet season after season, but he's really not that great at anyone thing. He gets a lot of credit for his "blocking" but people usually neglect to mention how awful he is as a receiver.
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
Over rated?

He is like the 23rd highest paid player on the team, how the F can he be over rated?

About 99% of NFL fans don't even know who he is. He has made BIG time blocks to open up huge critical plays that has won us many games.

VD used to be Mr dropsies while being a big time blocker, but he was the HIGHEST paid player on the team

Because he gets basically starter minutes on a top football team but his actual production is garbage and has been for quite some time? He rarely gets open to make catches and when he does, he's literally almost got a 50/50 chance of either catching the pass or dropping it. His drop rate this year is about 40% which is by far the worst in the league.
People get all worked up over Walker. He should of caught that yes. But look at the bigger picture. He blocks realyl well and run routes and has also made some big time catches for us.

The play was dialed up to a number two tight end and of all the people to throw it to (VD, Crabs, Moss, Manningham). We go to our number two tight end, and he gets flamed for it. Where are the plays to VD in the endzone?
Share 49ersWebzone