There are 55 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Is there any 49er that is more over-rated than Delanie Walker?

Originally posted by buck:
Our passing game is totally anemic. We need people to catch the ball.

If we can find a better receiving TE than Walker, we need to take the guy.

This is also true for each and every one of our wide receivers.

Bang on! These same brainwave fans who are now touting 6th round pick Kyle Williams as our starting WR are probably the same annoying nitwits that were Rollin' with Nolan.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LoneWolf:
Its helps your argument to find full stats on a player before totally counting them out, 3 of those games you mentioned he wasn't targeted at all. Even if you don't like his size on how he measures up to the pro bowlers of the league, other then Davis he is the least likely to be replaced by a draftee.

Does the fact that Walker was not targeted in three of the games speak well of him?

If this is true, and I assume that it is it, I find it a bit surprising.
At the bottom of the first round all top receivers are expected to be gone. The second tier WRs are not as good as Fleener as a receiver...so why not draft the best weapon, no matter the position? Harbaugh and Roman can use players, develop schemes around their talents. Fleener, Davis and Walker are all fast and can be good targets. Takes the pressure off finding a great WR somewhat.

I like the 10 TDs in 34 receptions. Perhaps the RZ target the 9ers lack?

Walker is not overrated by me but that is because I understand that he is a racehorse, knows all the plays (more than other guys by far) and is often nicked and can't play at full potential. He is a great threat when he is out there and at full strength. The fact that he knew all the plays and could be moved around demonstrates his great attitude and versatility.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Feb 21, 2012 at 7:06 AM ]
Originally posted by xfactors:
Originally posted by buck:
Our passing game is totally anemic. We need people to catch the ball.

If we can find a better receiving TE than Walker, we need to take the guy.

This is also true for each and every one of our wide receivers.

Bang on! These same brainwave fans who are now touting 6th round pick Kyle Williams as our starting WR are probably the same annoying nitwits that were Rollin' with Nolan.

lol yeah
Bumping this since this debate's apparently sexy again. Still hoping the 49ers can get more of a dual threat at the #2 tight-end than Walker. Yes he does a great job of blocking but his lack of impact as a receiver only makes life easier on opposing defenses.
He dropped some balls thrown to him the last couple of games which I don't like either, but he's has value to this offense. Roman knows it. Harbaugh knows it. You guys just have convince them that Delanie just ain't no good.
just a case of the dropsies. he'll get over it.
i agree with the OP
If there is a TE that could block like him and catch a little better at the same price......then yeah we should look elswhere......but we have a beast in Walker....its only the 2nd game of the season.
Walker blows ass.
"i'm not saying nothing".....DW is one play away from being a starter....he needs to be ready in case VD gets injured....
making Coby Fleener harder to miss...
Still early BUT he hasn't caught the ball well. His blocking seems solid.

I don't see us making any moves during the season. He knows the playbook.

JH & coaches will evaluate and Baalke will probably pick up one in the draft or FA.
Cant put all the blame on Delanie. He's still a great blocker and can be a great asset in the 2 TE set; I think the problem lies (and I think we'll see more of this as the season progresses) in that our offense -- in particular our receiving set -- is loaded with talent. Everyone is capable of being the "go-to" guy, and in that respect a lot of guys are gonna get weeded out. It's early in the season, but as it appears now Manningham / Crabtree / VD are our main 3 threats. Moss is just a decoy to keep defenses off balance; I doubt he stays longer than 1 year. Delanie, unfortunately, will get lost in the shuffle and it doesnt help his cause when he makes ticky-tack drops on key drives. Im sure his number will come up soon enough, especially when the team is in a position where it has to resort to pass first / run second. Defenses will then likely keep their eyes on the aforementioned receivers, and this is when guys like Walker and Williams will get their chance to make huge plays.
to some Dixon
Snyder was, Hill was, MRob was

many here are too confident in Jacobs IMO

I think people are a bit too high on Jenkins and James....remember the Wallace and Sproles talk in preseason and after the draft