LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 251 users in the forums

Is there any 49er that is more over-rated than Delanie Walker?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by 99problems:
ever seen gronk or those panthers TE's return a kickoff for a TD?
didnt think so

fun fact

Walker and my Cousin tied the NCAA Div II record for kickoff return TD's in a season
Originally posted by 99problems:
ever seen gronk or those panthers TE's return a kickoff for a TD?
didnt think so

You mean the play where Nate Kaeding just let him run past him because it was in the PRESEASON? But regardless of that, Delanie is a good football player, and a great back up tight end.
delanie is another threat on offense that the other team has to account for
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:

A guy that goes 6 or 7 games without a catch? I'm sure the other team is completely frightened of the offensive explosion just waiting to happen.
why all the sudden everyone worries about height? You see the likes of Chris Cooley who is not "tall"....Dallas Clark is not tall, even if they list him at 6'3...he's not. And New England uses Aaron Hernandez as if he were Delanie Walker. And Hernandez is listed as 6'1.

I'm sure if Walker played for the Colts (with Payton) or the Patriots, you wouldn't worry about his height.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

A guy that goes 6 or 7 games without a catch? I'm sure the other team is completely frightened of the offensive explosion just waiting to happen.

Didn't he get injured?

well.....its not like he wasn't open for catches. Heck he battled back from injury to play in the Championship game. And he got open as well. Just the ball wasn't thrown his way. Ravens game, WIDE open for an easy early TD, but...the ball wasn't thrown his way. But lets go ahead and just go off stats, it explains everything.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb

how many times was his number called

you do understand that the 9ers run like half the plays as the top offensive teams right

Again it was 4 games not 6 or 7
Originally posted by Afrikan:

well.....its not like he wasn't open for catches. Heck he battled back from injury to play in the Championship game. And he got open as well. Just the ball wasn't thrown his way. Ravens game, WIDE open for an easy early TD, but...the ball wasn't thrown his way. But lets go ahead and just go off stats, it explains everything.

If you're not the first option on this team, you rarely see the ball. Vernon and Crabtree are the first option on most plays. If they are open at all, even for a 2 yard gain, they get the ball.

Harbaugh wondered why the previous regime didn't use him more in pass attack. He's finding out why. Because he has questionable hands. His Ball security
is just ok. I say that because its not the fumbles, its just they seemed to come at critical moments and since he doesn't get the ball often whenever he coughs it up its magnified. I wasn't onboard with the idea of drafting a tight end AT ALL earlier. I could see it in the later rounds but its not a priority and everyone here should know it. You can bet Baalke knows it. Delanie has value but we don't see it because he's a blocker/decoy a lot of the time and doesn't do what aaron hernandez does. But then again Aaron has one of the best of all time(Brady) throwing to him. Face it not many teams have a #2 TE that's really explosive and puts up a gang yards and stats. Our focus should be on Wideout but if they take a tight end in round 4 or 5 I'm not broken up about it.
Am I the only one who ants to see Nate Byham next year......dude is gonna beast it......

He's not that big of a threat to account for.
I had a crazy dream this morning that we traded Walker to Philly for Asante Samuel (with contract re-structuring), and a 4th round pick .
What the heck is with all the demands for locking threads - especially from clowns that only have 39 posts, give me a break -- if YOU don't like the thread, move on yourself. It doesn't mean others don't have the right to discuss something, whether its a waste of time or not. Its the darn off season, let people debate whatever THEY want.

Now, on this topic, there is some merit in the discussion. Walker is a lesser version of VD -- more receiver that traditional TE. Now VD has become an excellent blocker as well. But neither play the proto-tupical role of a TE -- outlet receiver that sits down in zones and blocks out defenders with his body to make receptions. they are more of threat when running deep or crossing routes.

So YES, I would suspect that the 49ers will consider adding to more prototypical TE to round out their capabilities. -- maybe they believe Bynham (sp?) can be that guy -- at least as a blocker.
Share 49ersWebzone