LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 215 users in the forums

Is there any 49er that is more over-rated than Delanie Walker?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
most overrated niner-the great tolzien.
Originally posted by niners4lyfe:

Ban plz?
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by niners4lyfe:

Most overrated or most made fun of???
Originally posted by LoneWolf:
Again it was 4 games not 6 or 7

His last catch was November 13th......he got injured on Christmas Eve, you do the math.

ARI
BAL
STL
ARI
PIT
SEA

+ earlier game
CLE

Zero catches.

He had 2 other games with 1 catch apiece.

So 2 catches over 9 games, while playing over 50% of the snaps.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 19, 2012 at 4:40 PM ]
Its helps your argument to find full stats on a player before totally counting them out, 3 of those games you mentioned he wasn't targeted at all. Even if you don't like his size on how he measures up to the pro bowlers of the league, other then Davis he is the least likely to be replaced by a draftee.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Yes. Michael Crabtree is far more overrated than Walker.

LOL good one...Crabtree progressed once again this season and yet the hate is absolutely absurd especially when somebody defends Delanie who disappeared for much of the season before being injured
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
LOL good one...Crabtree progressed once again this season and yet the hate is absolutely absurd especially when somebody defends Delanie who disappeared for much of the season before being injured

Technically in a way the whole offense is over-rated, until they show that they can win a game, without totally relying on the defense and special teams.
Delanie had the wham blocks on Suh in the Lions game that freed Gore up for over 100 yds rushing on his two long runs in the Lions game.

You won't find that in the stat sheet though. Probably why he's "overrated".
Why are we talking about this in the first place? We have an all pro in Davis, and need allot of help at wr. I know we have Llot of cap room but we also have to resign allot of players. Unless dude is demanding Davis like money who gives a s**t? He is a good number 2 TE what more do you want out of the posisition and how much do you want to spend on it when our wr's suck.
I like Walker, but I can see drafting Freener. I also think right guard and wide receiver are bigger needs. I guess if Freener is there and is clearly better than any right guards or wideouts, then I have no problem taking him. Competition at TE is a good thing. We still need those other two possitions addressed more though.

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by LoneWolf:
Again it was 4 games not 6 or 7

His last catch was November 13th......he got injured on Christmas Eve, you do the math.

ARI
BAL
STL
ARI
PIT
SEA

+ earlier game
CLE

Zero catches.

He had 2 other games with 1 catch apiece.

So 2 catches over 9 games, while playing over 50% of the snaps.

http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2011/12/16/walker-the-blocker-49ers-te-on-4-game-catchless-streak/

When articles are titled "Walker the Blocker." I think that is saying something.

Some fun stats....

- He was targeted only 40 times all season and three of those were runs plays. In comparison Gronk had 147, Aaron Hernandez had 144, VD had 110. The combination of playing on a run first team and having to block a large percentage of times on passing downs would reduce the amount of opportunities that Walker would have.

The 49ers were 31st in the NFL in passes attempted. You keep putting Delanie's stats up against TEs of pass first teams. The 49ers only had 30 more passing attempts than the Broncos during the season yet Delanie Walker had the same amount of receptions and TDs as the Broncos starting tight end (whie missing games).

Stats can be manipulated numerous ways to benefit a point directly, but the same can be done with the opposing point of view.

Should the 49ers have a big red zone threat at the 2nd TE position? That is a yes. Do they grow on trees? That is a no. Is Delanie an above average 2nd string TE? That is a yes. Would he start on other teams? That is a yes.

Delanie's versatility this season brought different looks to the offense that was running a vanilla version of the playbook. His ability to pick up numerous position in the offensive scheme is just as important as any physical presence on the football field. Knowledge of power.
Kyle Williams by a country mile gets my vote for most over rated 49er.

And idiotic 49er fans who think this 6th round chump can be a starting WR are really starting to piss me off.
Originally posted by Husker49er:
Why are we talking about this in the first place? We have an all pro in Davis, and need allot of help at wr. I know we have Llot of cap room but we also have to resign allot of players. Unless dude is demanding Davis like money who gives a s**t? He is a good number 2 TE what more do you want out of the posisition and how much do you want to spend on it when our wr's suck.

This
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
alex smith
  • buck
  • Veteran
Our passing game is totally anemic. We need people to catch the ball.

If we can find a better receiving TE than Walker, we need to take the guy.

This is also true for each and every one of our wide receivers.
Share 49ersWebzone