LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 200 users in the forums

"Wide Open" sideline routes

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by lamontb:
Well of course guys aren't just running wide open down the sidelines.

Watch the games again. There were several times this season where a receiver was WIDE OPEN down the sidelines despite what the OP says. The problem is people refuse to admit when Alex messes up - therefore, it isn't believable to them.

this year was the first year he had adequate protection and a good scheme since 2006 though. He will get better at them.

Not sure that I would call 44 sacks adequate protection ...
Originally posted by Next9erDynasty:
Not sure that I would call 44 sacks adequate protection ...

most of it was when chilo was in and at beginning of the season where we were still leaning the offense

i think our protection is fine

WR is the major problem on this team now
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by lamontb:
Well of course guys aren't just running wide open down the sidelines.

Watch the games again. There were several times this season where a receiver was WIDE OPEN down the sidelines despite what the OP says. The problem is people refuse to admit when Alex messes up - therefore, it isn't believable to them.

49er rider when you say "watch the games again" do you mean go back to your "tivo" or directv" because thats not going to show them being open down the sideline since cameras only focus on the football not the Open wr's so i dont know wether to believe you or call you a liar ive been to a few games living here in the bay and for the most part our WR's get caught up from opposing defenders.. theres sometimes when they get open but alex has looked off of them by then since it took them 5 seconds to get some type of seperation.
Originally posted by susweel:
They were wide open but #11 cant make those throws to anyone but VD and thats because VD burns any LB covering him by five yards.

Thats BS. VD can beat LBs, but some of those throws to him were OUTSTANDING. I'm not sure why, but I just think Alex has better chemistry and more confidense with Vernon than with anyone else.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Thats BS. VD can beat LBs, but some of those throws to him were OUTSTANDING. I'm not sure why, but I just think Alex has better chemistry and more confidense with Vernon than with anyone else.

he is the only guy who attends TC and preseason games

alex also has great rapport with morgan who also attends TC and plays in preseason games

starting to see a pattern here...
Originally posted by SundayTicket:
49er rider when you say "watch the games again" do you mean go back to your "tivo" or directv" because thats not going to show them being open down the sideline since cameras only focus on the football not the Open wr's so i dont know wether to believe you or call you a liar ive been to a few games living here in the bay and for the most part our WR's get caught up from opposing defenders.. theres sometimes when they get open but alex has looked off of them by then since it took them 5 seconds to get some type of seperation.

This. I gave come on the zone after being at the games to see people talking about certain plays, and I tell myself that is not how ithappened. Yeahsure soso was open but the ball was in the air and his defender left him. The other is the camera rarely shows the over the top safety who was breaking that way.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
i recall #10 being wide open down the middle in the pleayoffs and A.Smith over threw him by 5 yards.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

alex also has great rapport with morgan who also attends TC and plays in preseason games

This. Alex threw Vernon open multiple, multiple times throughout the year, especially towards the end of the season when VD said he finally got the playbook. He threw great balls to Morgan, even deep balls (although Morgan seemed to lose his ability to catch them as well as he used to). Also, we usually have extremely short fields compared to other teams, so we usually don't have as much room for these big plays down the sideline.

Everybody knows we need a receiver to gain A LITTLE separation, and I think Crabs and Morgan will be much better w/the playbook and their chemistry w/alex smith next year barring injuries.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

Um...prior to the season Morgan was being dismissed by a lot on this board as being slow, not having solid hands, possible #3 WR if even that and being slow. Did I mention being slow?

Morgan had the same talent/speed in 2010 that he had in early 2011 when he displayed his burst and overall ability that made everyone think twice about him. There was no talk about rapport with Alex prior to 2011 and it was all the same stuff..."Alex doesn't trust the WR's because they aren't good." Then Morgan saw more balls to his strengths and things changed.

I remember in 2010...Alex didn't play well because of the WR's. In 2009, it was because of the OL....

Well, same WR's, same # of sacks...now the excuse is mastering the system and he will make Rodgers' type plays.

They were wide open but #11 cant make those throws to anyone but VD and thats because VD burns any LB covering him by five yards.

its easily one of the most underrated passing combos in the leage, they've had a good connection for years, vernon is fast and gets open but lots of times alex hits him with a perfect pass, a "prime time dime" as they say

Originally posted by ChazBoner:
i recall #10 being wide open down the middle in the pleayoffs and A.Smith over threw him by 5 yards.
okay one that was I believe a 50yd bomb. And 2 in prevalent akers was kicking 70+ yd FGs going that way just so you get an idea of the wind.

And here is the alexcuse he had to throw it early and put a bit more lift on it, he threw it before kyle beat his defender but was rushed and I believe got tackled right after throwing it.

Seriously just look at andy lees punts going the opposite way to get an idea of the wind the ball would start of going to the left and end up on the right. How many touchbacks happened BC the returner couldn't get to the ball.
Let's remember this.

Up until this year, Alex NEVER hit deep routes or caught WR's in stride.

Sure, he missed some of those opportunities this year, and I will even give the benefit of the doubt and say he still missed more than he made.

HOWEVER, going from never hitting those receivers for 6 years to hitting them even 50% of the time this year is a huge improvement.

That being said, it's reasonable to say that next year he'll get even more accurate and connect on an even higher percentage of those passes.

For once, the Alex defense team has some evidence in their corner. Up until this year, it was impossible to defend him without sounding stupid.

That's why I changed sides and support him this year. He showed he can get better when it was thought to be impossible.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by hofer36:

geez did you miss the seattle game and the 41 yard pass to crabtree to set up winning score?

Score one for Alex in 7 years. Looks like we are going to see this game in game out now that he did it one time.

so u forgot morgan vs seattle 1st game. vd at cinci. crabs at philly. miller at redskins td, vd vs saints set up 28 yard run. . . arnaz battle at Seattle in 06 since u said 7 years. n these are of f the top of my head so i know there's plenty more
Originally posted by ChazBoner:

Oh the one that Alex said he could even see KW he just laid it out there? Oh.ok.
Originally posted by VA49er:
This is an absolutely true statement about wide open guys. We have to start taking advantage of those situations. However, trust, practice, and familiarity with the offense should allow alex to diagnose plays more quickly and to find guys in time. There are so many things to think about on a play. When you know exactly what you expect to happen and that everyone will do the right thing you can stop worrying about the first read or making the yards and start noticing those 2nd and third reads coming open. The more we play in this offense the better it will get. ALso when the coaches aren't so busy just trying to install it all we can tweek up the routes, designs, and protections. I have faith.

Agree. What they will be doing this offseason.
Share 49ersWebzone