LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 238 users in the forums

"Wide Open" sideline routes

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I have a challenge for you all...

Let's continue this topic without the words Alex, Smith, or QB. We already have an Alex thread and if this is about Alex, I can see the Mods merging or locking it up.

Open sideline routes are about the WR.

I don't really see our WRs getting open often on the sidelines. With the exception of Ginn who has ball tracking issues, I don't think any of them have the speed to get a step on a CB. Which I guess is fine if your WRs are willing to fight for the ball. I haven't seen it. In fact, what I remember is BE's int because he didn't step into the pass to contest it or even to defend it from the DB .

Can anyone post 3 examples over the course of the entire season showing a WR fighting for the ball on the sideline?
Originally posted by Jakemall:

Let's continue this topic without the words Alex, Smith, or QB. We already have an Alex thread and if this is about Alex, I can see the Mods merging or locking it up.

I don't really see our WRs getting open often on the sidelines. With the exception of Ginn who has ball tracking issues, I don't think any of them have the speed to get a step on a CB. Which I guess is fine if your WRs are willing to fight for the ball. I haven't seen it. In fact, what I remember is BE's int because he didn't step into the pass to contest it or even to defend it from the DB .

Can anyone post 3 examples over the course of the entire season showing a WR fighting for the ball on the sideline?

Originally posted by 12b6demurrer:

14:00 min mark of this video

.be

And imagine that he dropped it.
Originally posted by valrod33:

.be

I would say that pass was not really contested. It was perfectly thrown. No one on top and he had a step on the DB. But it definately shows that there are times when Crabs can get a step on someone.
Originally posted by jdt84_2:

That should have been a penalty on Sherman for hitting Crabtree way beyond the 5-yard marker (or holding)... Pretty obvious too. Something tells me the officials missed that call though.

I'm hoping that before the Niners play the Seahawks next season, Harbaugh mentions that nonsense in the media so the officials will be looking for it. That team did that crap all season and were rarely called on it.
Originally posted by nw9erfan:
That should have been a penalty on Sherman for hitting Crabtree way beyond the 5-yard marker (or holding)... Pretty obvious too. Something tells me the officials missed that call though.

I'm hoping that before the Niners play the Seahawks next season, Harbaugh mentions that nonsense in the media so the officials will be looking for it. That team did that crap all season and were rarely called on it.

he dropped the ball that hold in no way affected the catch
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

he dropped the ball that hold in no way affected the catch

I can't see what you're looking at...but if he was hit or held after the 5, it affects t he route..and even if it didn't affect the catch, it should have been a penalty.
I can't see what you're looking at...but if he was hit or held after the 5, it affects t he route..and even if it didn't affect the catch, it should have been a penalty.

True but the ball was there, crabs was there, and the defender was not. Then throw inherent had no reason to jump.
I just wonder if people understand the concept of a safety over the top. Especially in zone. The cb is meant to release the wide. If that safety's in position, it doesn't matter. That ball gets picked. Unless you have Megatron

Considering it's the NFL, players aren't out of position often.

True but the ball was there, crabs was there, and the defender was not. Then throw inherent had no reason to jump.
Damn spell check. I meant he had no reason to jump.
I support Susweel on this! Irrationality is not trolling!
Originally posted by valrod33:

.be

Crabtree is only going to get better next year.

Pretty sure Crabtree would have caught that ball if he hadn't jumped and done a back flip. But it was a very acrobatic miss! On a serious note it was a nice pass partly because the DB misjudged the ball and played it early and the ball went right over his hands. And I agree that it should have been a penalty on the DB, or Crabtree pushing off after illegal contact, or the DB after the push off.
Originally posted by NinerGM:

If I were getting that kind of cash I would reach out to my QB at every chance I get and say, "he man, let's just keep running this until we get this route perfected." You just don't hear this kind of hunger from our WRs on this team (anymore). Reporters/beat writers are constantly around the team. They know/hear of those players who put in extra work. Yes, I know I've heard players say "Crabtree works hard", but clearly that's not getting it done. So?

Nicely stated! Dwight Clark became a vital receiver for the 9ers by insisting on working with Montana as much as possible and volunteering for every opportunity. He volunteered to run routes when Walsh was looking at Fuller (?) in college.

That is one reason I don't think they need a first or second round WR but a guy who is hungry and aggressive. I don't want a head case FA either. They need guys who want to win a championship more than they want to be heroes.

I have faith in Crabtree's ability but want to see more hunger when he has a ball thrown in his area. If he can stay healthy enough to work in all camps that will happen. Walsh started every year with a camp for veterans on the basics. Even the veterans Montana and Rice had to relearn the very basics of their positions each year.
Share 49ersWebzone