There are 198 users in the forums

Greater player: Jerry Rice or Joe Montana?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Greater player: Jerry Rice or Joe Montana?

Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Rice was the greatest football player ever, regardless of position.

Can't disagree with this. There might be 3-4 players in the NFL to ever play the game that I would put on or close to Jerry's level...and Joe as great as he was, is not one of them.

I think there have been players with more talent that Rice, but no one with more of the combination of Talent, Heart and Drive. Rice played every down with intent.
[ Edited by Jakemall on Feb 9, 2012 at 9:51 AM ]
Originally posted by 228niner:
Originally posted by MaliCali:
Hard..

Joe was 2-0 in Superbowls without Rice..

Rice was 1-1 in Superbowls without Joe...

Oh yeah, I forgot Joe Montana won every Super Bowl all by himself.

how was rice 1-1? I don't get that

Superbowl loss with the Raiders against the Bucs.

BTW, Rice retired at 39/40. His strong seasons in Oakland were '01, '02....putting him at 36-37. Very good stuff, but T.O. had similar success at those ages too.
Originally posted by Nordic9er:
I understand where you're coming from, but let's not discredit how great he really was. He has records that may not be broken due to the fact that he produced at All-Pro levels for more years than most players (including majority of HOF'ers) played.

I love Montana, but he (in my opinion) is a close second when it comes to that question.

<div class="video youtube--NA6OxYuS9s"><object width="500" height="304" data="http://www.youtube.com/v/-NA6OxYuS9s&ap=%2526fmt%3D18&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="src" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-NA6OxYuS9s&ap=%2526fmt%3D18&fs=1" /><param name="wmode" value="transparent" /><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /></object></div> <div class="video youtube--NA6OxYuS9s"> </div> <div class="video youtube--NA6OxYuS9s">Also, just wanted to say that I've been reading these forums for years and I'm glad to finally be a part of it.</div>

Welcome great to have you
  • vaden
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
Originally posted by 228niner:
Originally posted by MaliCali:
Hard..

Joe was 2-0 in Superbowls without Rice..

Rice was 1-1 in Superbowls without Joe...

Oh yeah, I forgot Joe Montana won every Super Bowl all by himself.

how was rice 1-1? I don't get that

Superbowl loss with the Raiders against the Bucs.

BTW, Rice retired at 39/40. His strong seasons in Oakland were '01, '02....putting him at 36-37. Very good stuff, but T.O. had similar success at those ages too.

No, he retired at 42. His strong seasons in Oakland were at ages 39-40.
The winner for my vote is.....well what do you know its a tie.
Originally posted by overthemiddle:
Too answer that question would be wrong. Lets put it this way let Jerry play QB and Joe WR then maybe you can answer who is the best Niner of them all.

that's like saying "lets put Deion Sanders at LB and Patrick Willis at CB and see who does better". Of course Jerry couldn't hardly throw, but there's no way Joe could run routes and catch. Willis might get burned 20% of the time, but Deion would get ran the f**k over every play. Doesn't mean that Deion wasn't equally great at his own position. Joe was 4-0 in superbowls, and one of the clutchest players of all time. I love Jerry, have said he was the GOAT in the past, but to be honest with you if I have to take 1 of them to build a team I am taking Joe because he effects more players.
Originally posted by titan:
GOAT+GOAT= JR & JM
= A FLOCK
I vote Jerry. We saw him play with Montana. We saw him play with Young. We saw him with Gannon. Different QBs, same results.
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:
I vote Jerry. We saw him play with Montana. We saw him play with Young. We saw him with Gannon. Different QBs, same results.

You could say the same for Joe though. Saw him play with Dwight Clark and Freddie Solomon=same results as with Rice, or even in KC they atleast won a lot.
if quarterback is the toughest position in all of team sports, and montana is considered the greatest then i'll have to go with montana

• vaden
  • Veteran
If we factor in value or difficulty of position, then yes, Montana wins because the #1 QB wins by default. This means there's nothing any player at any other position could ever do to be considered the greatest of all time, and that seems wrong to me.
Originally posted by vaden:
If we factor in value or difficulty of position, then yes, Montana wins because the #1 QB wins by default. This means there's nothing any player at any other position could ever do to be considered the greatest of all time, and that seems wrong to me.

jerry rice likely never becomes the g.o.a.t. without montana
Share 49ersWebzone