LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 350 users in the forums

Greater player: Jerry Rice or Joe Montana?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Greater player: Jerry Rice or Joe Montana?

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Rice was the greatest football player ever, regardless of position.

Too answer that question would be wrong. Lets put it this way let Jerry play QB and Joe WR then maybe you can answer who is the best Niner of them all.
Originally posted by MaliCali:
Hard..

Joe was 2-0 in Superbowls without Rice..

Rice was 1-1 in Superbowls without Joe...

Oh yeah, I forgot Joe Montana won every Super Bowl all by himself.
Montana is an all-time great, undoubtedly one of if not the best QB ever. While his yardage and TD stats weren't always as eye popping as guys like Marino or Favre or P. Manning or Brady, his 4-0 record in SBs puts him over the top in the minds of many; Brady's loss in this SB likely secures Montana's legacy as the best QB of all time. That said, there still is and always will be a debate over who is the greatest QB of all time.

On the contrary, there IS NO question that Rice is the greatest WR of all-time; NFLN even ranked him as the best football player of all time. His records will never be approached by another player, nor the length of his career or sustained success. I only remember watching Rice in the latter half of his career; admittedly, as a young kid, I liked T.O. better for his breakaway speed/power and (for an 8-14 y.o) fun antics. Recently watching America's Game highlights of the Niners SBs, Rice is just uncoverable in his prime. I was especially impressed by the numerous deep TD grabs he had, as I always heard he never had break-away speed. Rice simply had it all. He could beat you deep, He could take a 5 yard slant to the house, he had impeccable route-running and hands.

Rice is the G.O.A.T.
Originally posted by merm49:
Montana is an all-time great, undoubtedly one of if not the best QB ever. While his yardage and TD stats weren't always as eye popping as guys like Marino or Favre or P. Manning or Brady, his 4-0 record in SBs puts him over the top in the minds of many; Brady's loss in this SB likely secures Montana's legacy as the best QB of all time. That said, there still is and always will be a debate over who is the greatest QB of all time.

On the contrary, there IS NO question that Rice is the greatest WR of all-time; NFLN even ranked him as the best football player of all time. His records will never be approached by another player, nor the length of his career or sustained success. I only remember watching Rice in the latter half of his career; admittedly, as a young kid, I liked T.O. better for his breakaway speed/power and (for an 8-14 y.o) fun antics. Recently watching America's Game highlights of the Niners SBs, Rice is just uncoverable in his prime. I was especially impressed by the numerous deep TD grabs he had, as I always heard he never had break-away speed. Rice simply had it all. He could beat you deep, He could take a 5 yard slant to the house, he had impeccable route-running and hands.

Rice is the G.O.A.T.
This

Except there was never a question who the best QB of all time was, that was put to rest in 07
Both the best ever in my book. You can't make me choose!!
Rice

- All the single season records
- 3 Rings
- Longevity/All the career records
- Super Bowl/Pro Bowl with 2 franchises

Not even injuries could stop Rice
<----- Didn't vote, head would explode!
19-0
i go with Montana based on 4 super bowl wins compared to 3 for Jerry . Rice won 2 super bowls in 4 or 5 seasons with Montana and then won one more super bowl in 12 years without Montana. Montana won 2 super bowls playing 8 seasons without Rice.

but 2 of the top 5 players of all time in the NFL--Montana and Rice!

Jerry beasted with every QB he had to play with.
joe was a great qb that made rice a great wr. rice was a great wr that made young into a great qb
Originally posted by susweel:
Rice was the greatest football player ever, regardless of position.

this
jrg voted for Montana
Originally posted by MaliCali:
Hard..

Joe was 2-0 in Superbowls without Rice..

Rice was 1-1 in Superbowls without Joe...

Oh yeah, I forgot Joe Montana won every Super Bowl all by himself.

how was rice 1-1? I don't get that
Share 49ersWebzone