There are 184 users in the forums

Greater player: Jerry Rice or Joe Montana?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Greater player: Jerry Rice or Joe Montana?

Rice is the best football player of all time, and Montana is the best quarterback of all time.
I think Rice was the greaterest.
This is impossible to answer to because they play 2 totally different positions. Montana is clearly the best QB ever......I do not want to hear about Unitas being the best either because he wasn't. Montana was the best QB hands down. Even when Montana went to KC he still had great success. With or without Rice, Montana was unbelievable when he played. The same can be said about Rice. Greatest WR ever hands down, with or without Montana. When he played in Oakland, Rice put up crazy numbers and led the Raiders to the Superbowl. So the answer is, Rice is the best WR ever and Montana is the best QB ever.
Rice
As much as you truly is my favorite, he's not the GOAT. That belongs to a man who revolutionized the way the game should be approached every day at practice and on game day. Nobody did as much as Jerry to get there and he absolutely shattered records. Sure he had Joe AND Steve, but HE was the hardest working SOB there was.

Nobody better, IMO. Still like Joe more though.
  • titan
  • Veteran
GOAT+GOAT= JR & JM
Hard..

Joe was 2-0 in Superbowls without Rice..

Rice was 1-1 in Superbowls without Joe...
Hello... Joe Montana... DuH... You win super bowls with QB play and D. How many Super Bowl MVP's are there? How many WR's that are MVP's?

Super Bown MVP's
Fred B
Jerry R
Lynn S
Desmond H

may have missed 1 or 2..

Super Bowl MVP's
Joe Montana x 3
Tom Brady x 2
Eli x 2
Terry B x 2
Steve Young
Jim P
Joe N
Bart Starr x 2
Len Dawson
Mark Rypen
Troy Aik
Roger Sta
Aaron Rodgers
John Elway

I'm sure i missed a few... those are jus off the top of my head..

QB clearly the more important position hence Joe "GOAT" Montana...

Thank you,
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:
Who do you feel is the greater player?

Didn't read LOL!!
Jerry was the GOAT, nuff said. The only thing keeping Montana from shattering SB wins and other records was injuries and that's why I don't put him higher than Jerry.

Dude is a great example for kids and athletes in the mentality of practicing uphill in order to play downhill.

Ronnie Lott
Jesse Sapolu
Jerry Rice, To me this is an easy question. Jerry owns all the records for his position and he did it for so many years, at 40 years old he had 92 catches for 1211 yards with 7 tds. Joe Montana was great but Jerry Rice was the GOAT.
  • vaden
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Eric10:
This is impossible to answer to because they play 2 totally different positions. Montana is clearly the best QB ever......I do not want to hear about Unitas being the best either because he wasn't. Montana was the best QB hands down. Even when Montana went to KC he still had great success. With or without Rice, Montana was unbelievable when he played. The same can be said about Rice. Greatest WR ever hands down, with or without Montana. When he played in Oakland, Rice put up crazy numbers and led the Raiders to the Superbowl. So the answer is, Rice is the best WR ever and Montana is the best QB ever.

Yeah, 92 catches for 1211 yards and 7 TDs at 40 years old is just insane. That would be like a QB still having good seasons at 45+ years old.

Maybe if Montana had Rice's longevity, it could've been close, but it's not.
If i were to start a team, I would go with a QB. They are both the greatest at their positions, but you have to go with the player that has a bigger influence on the offense.
Share 49ersWebzone