There are 175 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Kaepernick believes he can seriously challenge for starting job this year

Originally posted by 9erguy:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Wondering why he can't be a legit starting QB until 2013? He's going to be 25 this season. He sure is old enough, mature enough, intelligent enough, motivated, competitive, confident, athletic enough. He has a year under his belt and should know this system in and out. Regardless of the Alex situation.... I dont see why people think he needs another year...someone please give me a legitimate reason. With all due respect, I havent seen or heard one yet.

And no, I'm not saying he's our "saviour"...yet. Yes he needs to proove himself, but why cant he do it? That's what we drafted him for, right?

I agree. Other than his footwork, not sure if there's anything major to adjust. He's an athlete and it's not as difficult to fix the footwork unless he's being difficult himself. Looking forward to the QB competition after Kaep has had 4+ months to work on his feet.
Yep...it's going to make for an interesting 4 months or so. If we sign Alex to a rather large contract and Kaepernick beats him in camp, what do we do? Just curious on your opinion. Sit Alex after he signs a deal making 8+ mil a year?(just a guess..maybe low balling him)

I don't think Harbaugh will replace Smith as the starter unless Smith is not playing to the level Harbaugh expects him to play during regular season. Then I can see Kaep start after a few weeks into regular season if things are lacking in the Offensive department.

We lose too many cards in our hands if we start Kaep over Smith Week 1 because teams still aren't buying Smith. Need to prop him up more in order for us to have serious worth at the QB position.

Then in 2013, if Alex improves, we are holding all the cards and running Free Agency or the Draft. My main debate against Kaep not being capable of starting is due to the irony of people saying he's too raw after what we just saw Harbaugh do with Alex Smith.
[ Edited by Joecool on Feb 7, 2012 at 1:06 PM ]
Wondering why he can't be a legit starting QB until 2013? He's going to be 25 this season. He sure is old enough, mature enough, intelligent enough, motivated, competitive, confident, athletic enough. He has a year under his belt and should know this system in and out. Regardless of the Alex situation.... I dont see why people think he needs another year...someone please give me a legitimate reason. With all due respect, I havent seen or heard one yet.

And no, I'm not saying he's our "saviour"...yet. Yes he needs to proove himself, but why cant he do it? That's what we drafted him for, right?

I agree. Other than his footwork, not sure if there's anything major to adjust. He's an athlete and it's not as difficult to fix the footwork unless he's being difficult himself. Looking forward to the QB competition after Kaep has had 4+ months to work on his feet.
Yep...it's going to make for an interesting 4 months or so. If we sign Alex to a rather large contract and Kaepernick beats him in camp, what do we do? Just curious on your opinion. Sit Alex after he signs a deal making 8+ mil a year?(just a guess..maybe low balling him)

This is why. 49ers should not sign Alex to a long term deal if they feel Kaep is the future. They can get a QB in FA to play game manager again in 2012 if they want to sit Kaep another whole season and not overpay.

I don't think Harbaugh will replace Smith as the starter unless Smith is not playing to the level Harbaugh expects him to play during regular season. Then I can see Kaep start after a few weeks into regular season if things are lacking in the Offensive department.

We lose too many cards in our hands if we start Kaep over Smith Week 1 because teams still aren't buying Smith. Need to prop him up more in order for us to have serious worth at the QB position.

Then in 2013, if Alex improves, we are holding all the cards and running Free Agency or the Draft.

I agree, good call.
Originally posted by 305Niner:

This is why. 49ers should not sign Alex to a long term deal if they feel Kaep is the future. They can get a QB in FA to play game manager again in 2012 if they want to sit Kaep another whole season and not overpay.

Who's a FA that can play game manager? Maybe they just wait, similiar to how we did last year, and let the market settle on Alex. I doubt many teams are out there lining up to sign Alex Smith.
  • rdc1
  • Veteran
You will get a good idea on what the coaches and GM think about both Alex and Kaep when you see the deal they offer for Alex. If they are strong on Kaep the deal for Alex will be structured in such a way that it has no impact on salary cap after 2013. The reason for that is if the team expect Kaep to be good they will want to extend his contract after year three. By putting in a contract for Alex that is either two year or structured to have very limited impact after 2013 they can shift the money from Alex to Kaep in the extension process and keep their total quarterback costs pretty flat.

The coaches will have a pretty good idea how Kaep is doing. He split his time between the scout team and the first offense. About 50% of his time with each. He got 50% of the scout teams snaps and about 20-30% of the first team offense snaps. So he not only hand to learn the offense and game plan for each game, but he also had to learn the opposing teams offense. That also means that he was playing against the first team offense when playing on the scout team.

Who's a FA that can play game manager? Maybe they just wait, similiar to how we did last year, and let the market settle on Alex. I doubt many teams are out there lining up to sign Alex Smith.

Yeah there wont be alot of teams signing up after Alex. Maybe Seattle. I just don't think he is worth 8 to 11 million per year. The only game manager QB that would make sense is Josh Johnson only since he knows Harbaugh scheme and the O wont be entirely foreign to him.

I just say that IF the 49ers seriously consider CK the future of the Franchise. Honestly at least with Harbaugh I think he is probably more bias towards Alex Smith. He has a huge lovefest going on with him. So expect him back. I'm not entirely sold on the competition deal.
I was readin the Daily Tennessee and it quoted Daniel Kilgore as saying that he believes he can seriously challenge for Adam Snyder's job this year
Originally posted by rdc1:
You will get a good idea on what the coaches and GM think about both Alex and Kaep when you see the deal they offer for Alex. If they are strong on Kaep the deal for Alex will be structured in such a way that it has no impact on salary cap after 2013. The reason for that is if the team expect Kaep to be good they will want to extend his contract after year three. By putting in a contract for Alex that is either two year or structured to have very limited impact after 2013 they can shift the money from Alex to Kaep in the extension process and keep their total quarterback costs pretty flat.

The coaches will have a pretty good idea how Kaep is doing. He split his time between the scout team and the first offense. About 50% of his time with each. He got 50% of the scout teams snaps and about 20-30% of the first team offense snaps. So he not only hand to learn the offense and game plan for each game, but he also had to learn the opposing teams offense. That also means that he was playing against the first team offense when playing on the scout team.

Yeah I definitely agree with the bold.
I think it's really funny that it was said that CK "can throw from different arm angles" and then we've got a article/report saying Colin needs to work on his mechanics and throwing from different arm angles.
Originally posted by hofer36:
I was readin the Daily Tennessee and it quoted Daniel Kilgore as saying that he believes he can seriously challenge for Adam Snyder's job this year

This, I believe. The guy looked like a wall in pass protection in college and had a good pre-season. If not for inexperience, I felt he would've been Snyder's backup instead of Rachal. If Snyder doesn't re-sign, Kilgore at worst will be the #2 OG next season.
Personally, I am routing for Tolzien. I just hope he has improved some of his decision making on the longer throws to warrant getting the starting job. I, also, worry that Kaep may be a run first quarterback, though Harbaugh is obviously working to correct that.

Yeah there wont be alot of teams signing up after Alex. Maybe Seattle. I just don't think he is worth 8 to 11 million per year. The only game manager QB that would make sense is Josh Johnson only since he knows Harbaugh scheme and the O wont be entirely foreign to him.

I just say that IF the 49ers seriously consider CK the future of the Franchise. Honestly at least with Harbaugh I think he is probably more bias towards Alex Smith. He has a huge lovefest going on with him. So expect him back. I'm not entirely sold on the competition deal.

If Pete Carrol wants Alex, I dont want him ...but you're right, I can't think of another team other than maybe a Seattle.
Really? i mean Alex just came off a 22TD 5INT season... lets not be retarded.... Alex is the clear starter and when the 49ers pay him starter money he will START..
Originally posted by Stevec9932:
Really? i mean Alex just came off a 22TD 5INT season... lets not be retarded.... Alex is the clear starter and when the 49ers pay him starter money he will START..

Unless Kaepernick outplays Alex big time in the preseason, Alex will be the starter next year
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I think it's really funny that it was said that CK "can throw from different arm angles" and then we've got a article/report saying Colin needs to work on his mechanics and throwing from different arm angles.

which article was it anyway?

ok read it...

Kaepernick: I talked to both of them about what they want me to do in the offseason and what I need to do to get better and get on the field. There were a few things, like working on different arm angles on throws and trying to speed up my feet, things like that. I'm going to try to come in (at camp) and show them what I am capable of.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Feb 7, 2012 at 2:01 PM ]