There are 138 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Kaepernick believes he can seriously challenge for starting job this year

Originally posted by 305Niner:
Naw. He is defending Alex Smith, so its ok with the mods. You wont see them on here for that. Alex Smith was trash for 6 years and was made into a game managing QB and all of the sudden he is the next Tom Brady to some. Once again nobody can name a team that had his stats that made it far WITHOUT a dominating defense. Johnson can't be that though for some odd reason even though he knows Harbaugh's offense. Nobody said he was a great QB. He is cheaper to sign. He is UFA, so we would owe Tampa nothing.

CK is an unknown, but he has the right attitude. Sounds like he is going to push himself to be able to cause a stir. He may not do that at all. Still good to have the right attitude approaching the game of football. 49ers need to still have a solid backup in case Smith pulls the ol Collins or Chandler second season routine or gets hurt.

It's kind of retarded to give a game manager QB 10 million a season IMO. Ask the Titans if you don't believe me.

Its also kind of retarded for people to assume Alex can't be anything more then a "game manager" under Harbaughs guidance.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
I agree but you're about to get flamed bro.

Its okay, the derps will out come like they usually do, and spout out some more nonsense and idiocy, rinse and repeat.

Its hard to take anyone seriously who claims "no, Josh Johnson will do great, yeah he's f**ked up his entire career and has been holding a clipboard for a reason, but he can easily do what Alex did, no problem, why hasn't he shown anything thus far? Its because its "the system" he was playing in that limited him........duh, any quarterback in the NFL can throw for over a 90 QB rating and less than 8 interceptions in a whole season with Harbaugh's system, its magic, it takes s**tty quarterbacks and makes them into studs rather than taking quarterbacks with tremendous potential and natural talent and maximizing it."

The really good thing is that Harbaugh doesn't take the short yellow bus everywhere like some of the posters on this site apparently do.

I've criticized Alex Smith quite a bit but its obvious to see that when your team is one dumb turnover away from being in the Super Bowl, replacing a quarterback whose performances ranged from adequate to terrific with an unknown wild-card is absolutely stupid. Considering that the team will have a full offseason to install the offense and add playmakers, basic common sense should tell you that Alex could perform even better next season with more talent around him. But, no by all means, don't re-sign him, bring in a scrub 3rd stringer with limited NFL potential and hope and wish he doesn't f**k up and cost you games.

Like I said, its nice to know that the guys running the team aren't idiots.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 12, 2012 at 5:39 PM ]
Also, the "game manager" label is being tossed around pretty liberally if you ask me. A "game manager" is a guy who you ask to make a few plays for you every now and then, but mostly to not turnover the ball and you hope and pray that he throws more touchdowns than interceptions. Trent Dilfer was a game manager, a guy prone to turning the ball over at an incredible rate and all you did was hope and pray that he didn't screw up, you certainly didn't expect positive contributions from him. "Game Mangers" were guys who threw for 12 or 13 touchdowns, 9 or 10 interceptions, completed less than 60% of their passes and has a QB rating in the mid-low 70s.

Alex Smith shed the "game manager" label several times this year, the final stake to the heart should have been the Saints game but apparently that performancce was not good enough for some people. He's not going to be a Drew Brees but he showed tremendous ability and heart, made plays with his arm and legs and I'm truly excited to see what this offense can look like with a full offseason and some more talent on offense.
Naw. He is defending Alex Smith, so its ok with the mods. You wont see them on here for that. Alex Smith was trash for 6 years and was made into a game managing QB and all of the sudden he is the next Tom Brady to some. Once again nobody can name a team that had his stats that made it far WITHOUT a dominating defense. Johnson can't be that though for some odd reason even though he knows Harbaugh's offense. Nobody said he was a great QB. He is cheaper to sign. He is UFA, so we would owe Tampa nothing.

CK is an unknown, but he has the right attitude. Sounds like he is going to push himself to be able to cause a stir. He may not do that at all. Still good to have the right attitude approaching the game of football. 49ers need to still have a solid backup in case Smith pulls the ol Collins or Chandler second season routine or gets hurt.

It's kind of retarded to give a game manager QB 10 million a season IMO. Ask the Titans if you don't believe me.

You mean Chris Chandler who was 32 when he went to the Super Bowl and had a pretty good year the previous year and followed it up with an even better one, which led to a SB appearence?

You mean Kerry Collins who followed his Super Bowl year with almost the same identical year?

But instead of bringing back the guy who has a rapport with the players, knows the playbook, has a great attitude, and has shown he can handle the pressure, you want another QB to come in and lead this team to the Super Bowl? Freeman was God awful, was wasnt Johnson put in?

You say you like Kaps attitude, but how can u not like Smiths?

Its not your money, its not stopping us from getting free agents. And he does everything right.

Stop hatin.

Until Johnson can prove he isnt exactly what we thought he was, then he cant be considered a legit starter.
Coach has to sound like we're all-in with Alex. He's a FA and we need him to resign. He's said all along that everyone has to earn their job in problem. Kap will get his chance to impress the coaches. I don't think he'll be able to beat Alex out for the job just yet. Alex will get another season to show what he can do.

Now you have me puzzled. I'm not sure if you really don't follow NFL football very much or a just being stubborn.
Originally posted by strickac:
Coach has to sound like we're all-in with Alex. He's a FA and we need him to resign. He's said all along that everyone has to earn their job in problem. Kap will get his chance to impress the coaches. I don't think he'll be able to beat Alex out for the job just yet. Alex will get another season to show what he can do.

If for some reason the 49ers ended up without Alex Smith, they'd be screwed. Its doubtful you can just find some random quarterback and have him bring as many things to the table as well as Smith does. This isn't a situation where a guy had a so-so season and could easily be replaced because things really couldn't get much worse,

Things could get FAR worse for the 49ers without Smith. You end up with a guy like Johnson who's tossing interceptions left and right, doesn't make key plays at the end of games as Smith has done for the most part, makes crucial mistakes in crunch-time that doom this team and all of the sudden you've gone from a 13-3 team to a murderous schedule that results in a 6 or 7 win season. Instability at quarterback reverberates across the entire team, not to mention that letting Smith walk after a career year would have a deleterious effect on the entire locker room.

It just puzzles me that the guy has the best season of his career, absolutely looks to be on the up-swing and now all the super-clever morons are like "f**k him, we can bring in Josh Johnson......or hell, let's bring back Nate Davis....ANYONE can do what Smith can."

No. They. Can't.

Smith was drafted first in the draft for a reason. Anyone that is drafted first has to have loads of natural talent, some guys simply don't cut it because they don't have the work ethic and are lazy as in the case of JaMarcus Russell and Ryan Leaf but that's never been the problem with Smith. If anything he's shown exemplary work ethic, leadership and more. He could have walked from this team last year and gone somewhere where the grass was greener but he stuck it out, he learned yet another offensive system, worked with another offensive coordinator, another coach and finally things are going his way. He has his first coach who understands the QB position, more importantly he has his first coach who has his back and supports him, who fills him up with confidence. Smith showed rapid improvement in a lot of area's, it was really the first time he got to show some of the talent and abilities that made him the 1st pick. No, it wasn't perfect by any means, but he showed a lot of improvement, with a limited offseason, additionally he showed confidence that he's never had before. He trusts his coach, he trusts his teammates, an impartial observer would say "wow, he should be able to keep improving, playing in this sort of supportive environment" but all the dumbasses can talk about is some scrub who barely made it into the NFL and shouldn't be anywhere near a starting job or a guy who's relatively speaking a rookie, who's never had a real training camp or offseason, who's one year removed from playing in a Pistol offense in a lower division school.

Instead of reaching for straws, why not see what Alex can do with one more year in this system and some additional weapons on offense. Its all about the KISS principle. Keep It Simple Stupid. Instead of hoping and praying that somehow this team will pull the next Steve Young out of its ass, why not support the guy who is there, who did improve and can only further improve with more weapons on offense. It just honestly boggles my mind, the best season this team has had in a decade and now people want to dump the starting quarterback just because he didn't throw for 5000 yards and 50 touchdown's? Seriously?
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 12, 2012 at 7:40 PM ]
Fantasy football has ruined the NFL. Well NFL fans anyway.
I think it's very fair to say that Smith, more often than not, is more of a game manager than a playmaker by nature. That doesn't mean he can't be a playmaker it just means he doesn't do it unless its absolutly clear he has to.
I think the playmaker in him will come out this coming season once he has more of the play book down and feels comfortable making game changing descisions
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
I think it's very fair to say that Smith, more often than not, is more of a game manager than a playmaker by nature. That doesn't mean he can't be a playmaker it just means he doesn't do it unless its absolutly clear he has to.

thats what harbaugh qbs do

take care of the ball is proproty #1 then when we have ti and need to score make plays thats exactly what alex does and thats why harbaugh is so high on alex
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

thats what harbaugh qbs do

take care of the ball is proproty #1 then when we have ti and need to score make plays thats exactly what alex does and thats why harbaugh is so high on alex

I'm ok with that and I'm pretty sure he'll continue to develop. As he masters the playbook, he just might start making more plays, even when we have the lead.

I'll always be concerned about his pocket presence though. I think we are more screwed than other teams with good QBs if our Oline is having an off day. That's why I'm not quite as high on him as I could be. Just my opion, based on my years of watching him.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Also, the "game manager" label is being tossed around pretty liberally if you ask me. A "game manager" is a guy who you ask to make a few plays for you every now and then, but mostly to not turnover the ball and you hope and pray that he throws more touchdowns than interceptions. Trent Dilfer was a game manager, a guy prone to turning the ball over at an incredible rate and all you did was hope and pray that he didn't screw up, you certainly didn't expect positive contributions from him. "Game Mangers" were guys who threw for 12 or 13 touchdowns, 9 or 10 interceptions, completed less than 60% of their passes and has a QB rating in the mid-low 70s.

Alex Smith shed the "game manager" label several times this year, the final stake to the heart should have been the Saints game but apparently that performancce was not good enough for some people. He's not going to be a Drew Brees but he showed tremendous ability and heart, made plays with his arm and legs and I'm truly excited to see what this offense can look like with a full offseason and some more talent on offense.

Until Alex does better on 3rd down he will be a "game manager". He had a magical season and hopefully we can repeat, Alex will be the man but he will have to be better in other areas before he can fully shed that label. Last yr just showed that he has the talent to do it.
Originally posted by LoneWolf:
I think the playmaker in him will come out this coming season once he has more of the play book down and feels comfortable making game changing descisions

Same goes for Morgan and Crabtree.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Same goes for Morgan and Crabtree.

Same goes for the whole offense.