LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 304 users in the forums

Kaepernick believes he can seriously challenge for starting job this year

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • dj43
Back to Colin Kaepernick: It is raining hard in his hometown of Turlock today...and boy do they need it. It's been a very dry winter. Grass isn't growing. The dairymen are having to buy extra water for their cattle. However, on the good side, he probably won't have to mow the lawn today.

Cheers
Originally posted by Joecool:
All QBs do miss chances but they pass more so those misses are made up on other plays. Harbaughs offense isn about quantity. Alex MUST make the throws that got Delanie wide open vs BAL or vs NYG and Crabtree open on a few occasions vs NYG. Alex didnt even make the attempt which is why he isnt the best fit. The best fit would be an accurate QB whos not afraid to make those NFL throws on a more consistent basis. Alex really only did it in one game for one play.

It isnt about ability, its about mentality. I hope Kaep has the mentality of a QB who wants to make those plays over Alexs mentality, even while he was at Utah, to wait until the receiver is a yard open and even then, possibly not throw it.

Wrong Joe, Harbaugh understands how D and STs impact the offense and has used them wisely for field advantage and to stay out of do or die situations with the offense. Most of the throw-aways, in the turf, out of bounds passes are intentional and no doubt have the coaches blessing. If they were losing every game it would change the dynamics and the offense might have looked more like the second half of the Philly game or the end of the NO game...but they did not have to amp up.

It's so funny that you think Smith can play lights out when he has to but can't when he doesn't have to...what kind of logic is that? You really think CK's mentality will supersede Harbaugh's game plan when it comes to play calling? As someone has already stated, if CK comes in and starts messing with Harbaugh's system he will be back on the bench. If he can come in and do what Smith has already done--play winning football by being safe and secure--he will thrive...oh wait...that's what Smith has been doing...jeez...now I'm really confused. You are a 9ers fan, right?
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
All QBs do miss chances but they pass more so those misses are made up on other plays. Harbaughs offense isn about quantity. Alex MUST make the throws that got Delanie wide open vs BAL or vs NYG and Crabtree open on a few occasions vs NYG. Alex didnt even make the attempt which is why he isnt the best fit. The best fit would be an accurate QB whos not afraid to make those NFL throws on a more consistent basis. Alex really only did it in one game for one play.

It isnt about ability, its about mentality. I hope Kaep has the mentality of a QB who wants to make those plays over Alexs mentality, even while he was at Utah, to wait until the receiver is a yard open and even then, possibly not throw it.

Wrong Joe, Harbaugh understands how D and STs impact the offense and has used them wisely for field advantage and to stay out of do or die situations with the offense. Most of the throw-aways, in the turf, out of bounds passes are intentional and no doubt have the coaches blessing. If they were losing every game it would change the dynamics and the offense might have looked more like the second half of the Philly game or the end of the NO game...but they did not have to amp up.

It's so funny that you think Smith can play lights out when he has to but can't when he doesn't have to...what kind of logic is that? You really think CK's mentality will supersede Harbaugh's game plan when it comes to play calling? As someone has already stated, if CK comes in and starts messing with Harbaugh's system he will be back on the bench. If he can come in and do what Smith has already done--play winning football by being safe and secure--he will thrive...oh wait...that's what Smith has been doing...jeez...now I'm really confused. You are a 9ers fan, right?

good point dtg!! This year when we have needed Alex Smith to perform in clutch situations he has.. we went 14-3.. 3 losses due to Dallas OT where our CB gave up the tie TD and then romo got ball and just manhandled Defense.. Baltimore we got our 80yd TD taken back and some other fat play, but was close all along.. and Arizona game hm. Anyways When we went down by 21 against philly smith came out and executed wen he needed to. same with new orleans.. the Giants game in post season the winning superbowl QB and our QB were battling it out in post season back and forth, then our beloved KW had to have another muffed punt and screw the Drive #2 of this years postseason.

Agree completely dtg. The hilarious part of the whole Smith debate is the comment I bolded. The knock on Smith before this year was that he could play lights out when it didn't matter (no pressure situations when team was already down like vs. Houston a few years back) and couldn't make the plays (not a single damn one it seemed like) when it did matter.

People are really starting to get nit picky in their hatred for Smith.

I used to vilify Smith but when you actually look at the huge amount of progress he made this year in several categories, it's absurd to b***h about him.

Team was 13-3.
Led several 4th quarter comebacks when he used to BLOW leads on a regular basis in the 4th quarter.
Did NOT commit the backbreaking turnover (or virtually any turnovers period)
Extended plays more often than shown in the past
Increased accuracy
Increased pocket awareness

I mean the list goes on and on. In some areas he progressed a great deal, in others not as much. But he really showed improvement in every single category.

This year shows just how far his ceiling is. Maybe it's not that much further, maybe it is. But at least if he's reached his peak, he's still a pretty good QB as opposed to a downright awful one.

Niners fans are getting greedy. For the first time in his career, Smith has finally earned the job.
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:

Exactly..
1st it was, Well hes blowing to many leads in the 4th quarter,
then it was well he cant Win, NoWin Smith!
Then it was Well he turns the ball over too much
Then it was Well he throws the ball too short
Then it was Well his long ball isnt accruate enough
Then it turned into well his long ball isnt accurate OUTSIDE of the numbers.
Then it was, WHERE IS KAEPERNICK!? RAGE!!!

i mean seriously... no matter how good the defense was this year, you cannot win a football game if you dont have a quarterback, and we went 13-3. He tied the NFL record for fewest turnovers and wouldve held the best record if not for some stupid tipped balls !

Not to mention alex had over a 100.00 QB rating in the playoffs

Agree completely dtg. The hilarious part of the whole Smith debate is the comment I bolded. The knock on Smith before this year was that he could play lights out when it didn't matter (no pressure situations when team was already down like vs. Houston a few years back) and couldn't make the plays (not a single damn one it seemed like) when it did matter.

I used to vilify Smith but when you actually look at the huge amount of progress he made this year in several categories, it's absurd to b***h about him.

Team was 13-3.
Led several 4th quarter comebacks when he used to BLOW leads on a regular basis in the 4th quarter.
Increased accuracy

I mean the list goes on and on. In some areas he progressed a great deal, in others not as much. But he really showed improvement in every single category.

This year shows just how far his ceiling is. Maybe it's not that much further, maybe it is. But at least if he's reached his peak, he's still a pretty good QB as opposed to a downright awful one.

Niners fans are getting greedy. For the first time in his career, Smith has finally earned the job.

OK call me greedy, but I would like to see an offense that confidently throws the ball and can go for the kill early when they have a lead, & not just squeak out wins with the field position game with last team to hold the ball the winner. If that measn an upgrade at QB, I am certainly not writing an angry letter to the 49ers over that decision. Yes, they did well with Smith this year, and kudos to him. But it wasn't pretty to watch so many three & outs & punts again this year. They have to get a LOT better at the passign game, either with Smith or with someone else.
Originally posted by djfullshred:
OK call me greedy, but I would like to see an offense that confidently throws the ball and can go for the kill early when they have a lead, & not just squeak out wins with the field position game with last team to hold the ball the winner. If that measn an upgrade at QB, I am certainly not writing an angry letter to the 49ers over that decision. Yes, they did well with Smith this year, and kudos to him. But it wasn't pretty to watch so many three & outs & punts again this year. They have to get a LOT better at the passign game, either with Smith or with someone else.

Why do they HAVE to?? They beat the best Passing attack in the league against the new orleans saints at there OWN game.. and look at the giants/patriots scores to there games, and how we were 2 muffed fumbles from a stupid PR away from the superbowl... Not to mention if you want to see a offense that confidently throws the ball 8/10 times in a game then you arent going to like Harbaugh and Co.
Originally posted by SundayTicket:
good point dtg!! This year when we have needed Alex Smith to perform in clutch situations he has.. we went 14-3.. 3 losses due to Dallas OT where our CB gave up the tie TD and then romo got ball and just manhandled Defense.. Baltimore we got our 80yd TD taken back and some other fat play, but was close all along.. and Arizona game hm. Anyways When we went down by 21 against philly smith came out and executed wen he needed to. same with new orleans.. the Giants game in post season the winning superbowl QB and our QB were battling it out in post season back and forth, then our beloved KW had to have another muffed punt and screw the Drive #2 of this years postseason.

Thanks ST--when I see the losses described as you have it done it is apparent that these easily could have been wins and that Smith played well enough to win, even when not playing his best.

Team was 13-3.
Increased accuracy

Ninerpride--I was scheptical of Smith as the first choice in the draft and wanted either Rodgers or better yet, a trade down for more picks...but it is what it is and his success with Harbaugh is just wonderful to see. The comment you point out in bold is the key to me with regard to the negative guys who are left. Funny, I remember most great QBs playing well when it counted and often not as dynamic when the game was in hand...imagine!
Smith was hired through McCall staffing. CK will take Alex's temp job sooner than later.
[ Edited by fister30 on Feb 13, 2012 at 4:34 PM ]

Don't disagree with you but believe that will happen this coming year. I am just amazed that the team played as well as they did this year. The passing in the middle of the field, quick slants, were missing for the most part and I have to believe it was either timing issues or the disruption of the OC/RG being pushed into the QB.

Don't disagree with you but believe that will happen this coming year. I am just amazed that the team played as well as they did this year. The passing in the middle of the field, quick slants, were missing for the most part and I have to believe it was either timing issues or the disruption of the OC/RG being pushed into the QB.

Agree with both of you. Pro and Anti Smith people can all agree that the offense has to get better, much better. I just think (for the first time in Smith's career) that you have to bring him back, get a WR threat, and see how much better he can get next year. If he can't get better, then we have to start thinking about a successor. If he can, you ride it out and see how much he progresses under Harbaugh.

But let us not forget how truly awful the offense was and how much better its gotten under one abbreviated offseason with a first year head coach.

This offense used to go several games at a time without completing a pass over 25 yards.
lol

See, this is not the way I'm seeing it. What I don't get is the thinking that for someone else to perform better than Alex Smith, it must be due to messing with Harbaugh's system as if Smith executed the system to perfection. Harbaugh was quoted after more than one game saying Smith took unnecessary sacks or missed open looks. I just can't fathom the fact that an NFL QB can stare at an "open" receiver and not pull the trigger. This has been the case with Smith all year. So, a QB with a different mentality or ability can execute Harbaugh's system AND make those throws that Smith didn't make.

Now, I'm not saying Smith won't do this because we all know, if he practices it to perfection and memorizes how the play is to be played out, he will execute. What I don't think he will do is make that play if it doesn't work as planned or if he goes to his second read.

We know Smith will improve but to what extent is where most are debating.

Exactly!

Joe Montana says to be a little patient with this WCO. Year 1... new plays evolving... injured WRs... etc.

People just have no patience anymore...even when a QB Legend is telling you what needs to be said.
Originally posted by oldman9er:

Exactly!

Joe Montana says to be a little patient with this WCO. Year 1... new plays evolving... injured WRs... etc.

People just have no patience anymore...even when a QB Legend is telling you what needs to be said.

What does the fact that Joe saying mean anything? It is a different era where the WCO isn't an alien language anymore.

But I do agree, people need to have more patience, including with our WR's.
Share 49ersWebzone