There are 57 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Kaepernick believes he can seriously challenge for starting job this year

• kush
  • Veteran
Anyone writing off CK because of the preseason must not remember that our whole team, including Alex Smith, looked like garbage during the preseason.

Anyone saying CK will not be ready is kidding themselves. He may not be ready, but it won't be because of some gut feeling amateur fans feel about his potential.
Originally posted by Baugh_Area:
Anyone writing off CK because of the preseason must not remember that our whole team, including Alex Smith, looked like garbage during the preseason.

Anyone saying CK will not be ready is kidding themselves. He may not be ready, but it won't be because of some gut feeling amateur fans feel about his potential.

I dont think its about writing him off. It's more that he is an unknown project. You can see the talent but will he be ready after a full off season? I just think he is an wait and see type of QB. The other rookies like Dalton and TJ Yates had an short off season also but performed good as a rookie. But everybody is different some QB's you can throw in the fire right away and some need to sit and learn.
Originally posted by Joecool:
I agree Alex is our best option right now but to say he performed better each year with subpar talent around him is false. That talent around him was also a part of the 14 wins. We dont if the talent was subpar due to Alex or if Alex isnt getting the stats due to the talent.

Im sure it is a combination of Alex not being as good as you think he is and key injurie sat the WR spots.

Same players? How many players were brought in last year? The D was completely remade and the offense, though starting many of the same players, was completely different...better coached, more effective, except for a few positions. You keep harping about the WRs being fine, but even if they started the year fine they became a mash unit with no one escaping injury. And which set of WRs is fine? This years? Last years? The year before?

More than half the offensive line was not here two years ago. Iupati, Davis and Goodwin came in over the past two years and that is huge when it come to improving the line. It took half the season for the line to begin to gel, but they are an improvement. Rachal not starting was a huge improvement over the past three years. Having Defensive Head coaches was a huge disadvantage to the offense. Isn't always the case but in Nolan and Singletary the niners had two guys not ready for prime time.

WRs over the Smith years: Which year had more pro bowl players? How many are still in the NFL?

2011 Crabtree/Edwards(Morgan)/Williams/Ginn

2010 Crabtree/Morgan/Williams/Ginn

2009 Bruce/Morgan/Battle/Hill/Crabtree

2008 Bruce/Morgan/Battle/Hill/Johnson

2007 Jackson/Battle/Lelie/Hill/Gilmore

2006 Bryant/Battle/Gilmore/Jacobs/Williams

2005 Lloyd/Battle/Morton/Woods/R Marshall
I think the job will be Alex Smiths to lose. I do hope that Kaepernick is ready and pushed Smith for the starting job.
  • islam
  • Veteran
The fact that this is even a thread, has shown how far the 49er fanbase has fallen in loyalty and football intelligence. The majority of the fanbase has become a complete joke, and thats the truth. "WE WANT CARR! " Shameful!
Originally posted by Baugh_Area:

I am not saying he won't be ready. I am saying we have no idea whether he will be ready and no idea if he will ever be good enough to start in the NFL.
  • kush
  • Veteran
Of course he is unknown, he is a rookie who threw 5 passes this year!!!

which starting QB in the NFL was a known commodity before he even played a whole game? And I don't wanna hear that its obvious he's not ready to play, b/c all anyone has seen of him was some preseason action in his rookie year which happened to be during a lockout. Wait until minicamps at least before you go and write CK off, this is Harbaughs hand picked QB of the future after all, one that he traded up in the draft for.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by English:
I am not saying he won't be ready. I am saying we have no idea whether he will be ready and no idea if he will ever be good enough to start in the NFL.
you are an amateur fan so you do not know s**t . But back to topic, i am just happy we got through the season without alex getting hurt. i really do not think there is a need to bring anyone else in cuz i am very ok with a great head coach who knows quarterbacks having a whole off season to work with the two kids. i will feel much better about our backups this next year because of that.If i am wrong so what? I was in favor of dennis erickson being our coach
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by truekingcarlos:
Kap looked HORRENDOUS in the preseason against 3rd string defenses.
and yet some are so willing to throw him in there against number one defenses , thier hatred for alex has blinded them and they could care less what is good for the team.what has the kid ever done to make them think he is ready. i for one am not in favor of giving him the keys,, hoping and wishing that he is ready, very sad

If the idea that Harbaugh intentionally shortened up the offense to avoid putting pressure on Alex Smith makes sense, then it should certainly make even more sense that Harbaugh intentionally kept Kaepernick out of any game situations so he would not have pressure on him to do something he can't do.

"Harbaugh just knows this kid is not even close to being ready so he didn't let him go out and embarrass himself against a real defense."

Sheeeeesh.
Originally posted by 305Niner:
Originally posted by 305Niner:
That is exactly my thoughts. Dalton was number #1 QB for the 49ers. It was not a coincidence that they hurried up and traded up to get CK after Dalton was gone.

wow, some are getting unhinged as it becomes clear that alex will resign with the team. we have went from CK needs to unseat alex to we need to sign josh Johnson and now we move to whining about dalton not being drafted.Usually people back seat and second guess after you go through a crappy season. so am i correct in thinking all these people who want either the kid to start, sign josh johnson or we should have gotten dalton think our head coach is an idiot cuz he trusted in alex smith. i think i need some help in trying to figure some things out which are very confusing to me after we came within one game of the super bowl with alex smith

Reading is fundamental. I never said anything about CK definitely replacing Alex. If you READ properly, pretty much all my posts says CK is an unknown. Also I didn't say anything about wanting Dalton. Once again if you READ properly, I was agreeing with the poster about how the 49ERS jumped on CK immediately after Dalton was picked.

Out of all your jibberish the only correct QB you had correct was Josh Johnson. I say pick him up because he is a vet and he knows Harbaugh's offense and is only QB that would be able to challenge Alex out of CK and Tolzien at this point.

You would think that Alex Smith was related to some of you they way defend like he is the greatest QB of all time, and no QB could ever do a better job than him even though he was benched twice for no names. Harbaugh comes in and makes him a game manager and he is the next Tom Brady in your eyes.

It's always smart to have a backup plan. It's very likely Smith can be Collins or Chandler next season. Why not keep the QB a real competition? Walsh did with Montana with Young and Montana was not even playing bad. If Alex is so good, then there is no worry about a backup.

What makes you think that Josh Johnson is even available, much less able to challenge Alex Smith? The guy is NOT a vet. He has thrown a TOTAL of 177 passes in his CAREER with a QB rating of 57! That is roughly 1/3 of what Alex Smith threw this season. Do you really call that guy a VET?

For the record, Walsh picked Young of the proverbial scrap heap from a town that was so sick of him the fan base was ready to cut him. Young was not even CLOSE to challenging Montana when he came to SF. NOT EVEN CLOSE. Walsh saw a potential deal and took a chance. A lot of writers severely questioned the move.
Originally posted by islam:
The fact that this is even a thread, has shown how far the 49er fanbase has fallen in loyalty and football intelligence. The majority of the fanbase has become a complete joke, and thats the truth. "WE WANT CARR! " Shameful!

do you EVEN remember why Carr was on the team in the first place?

get the f'outta here with that "loyalty and football intelligence" BS.......more like blind loyalty.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dj43:
What makes you think that Josh Johnson is even available, much less able to challenge Alex Smith? The guy is NOT a vet. He has thrown a TOTAL of 177 passes in his CAREER with a QB rating of 57! That is roughly 1/3 of what Alex Smith threw this season. Do you really call that guy a VET?

For the record, Walsh picked Young of the proverbial scrap heap from a town that was so sick of him the fan base was ready to cut him. Young was not even CLOSE to challenging Montana when he came to SF. NOT EVEN CLOSE. Walsh saw a potential deal and took a chance. A lot of writers severely questioned the move.
they and the fans were still questioning it even after young won the mvp cuz he lost two times in the nfc title game.i really would love for some of these so called experts to ask the coach at a press conference about bringing in josh johnson.simply absurd. that may be jibberish to some but its smart jibberish in my opinion
they and the fans were still questioning it even after young won the mvp cuz he lost two times in the nfc title game.i really would love for some of these so called experts to ask the coach at a press conference about bringing in josh johnson.simply absurd. that may be jibberish to some but its smart jibberish in my opinion

The Josh Johnson talk is absolutely absurd. Bunch of f**ked in the head retards out there. Yes, bring in a scrub QB who is lucky to still have a job in the NFL, all because he has some former connection to Harbaugh but hasn't really proven s**t his whole time in the NFL. Josh Johnson has been nothing short of atrocious, at some point people really need to pull their heads out of their posteriors and stop with this blind hatred of Alex Smith. He's not Drew Brees, he's not Aaron Rodgers, he never will be....but he's also a lot better than a lot of the quarterbacks in the NFL and a full offseason in this system will only further help enhance his performance.

The idea that somehow you can just "plug and play" a random QB to replace Alex is moronic. They tried that with Troy Smith, didn't work out. They tried it with David Carr, didn't work out. Just because Harbaugh's system is more QB friendly doesn't mean a scrub will all of a sudden play as well as Alex did. John Johnson isn't getting the 49ers down the field against the Saints, that is for damn sure, or making some of the smart plays that Alex makes that fans seems to never give him credit for, like throwing the ball away rather than forcing it, running with the ball, making good smart decisions to keep the chains moving. The guy doesn't nearly get enough credit for the s**t he does well, everyone loves to hone in on his mistakes while ignoring the things he does well, and he did plenty well this past season, why people all of a sudden want to jump ship is beyond me.

He played with a garbage receiving corps, with a lost in the sauce VD for the first half of the season, by his own admission he didn't pick up the offense very quickly, then the receiving corps further deteriorated due to injury and they were just bringing in random guys off the street and hoping they could make plays. The s**t has gone way too far, people need to get a grip.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

The Josh Johnson talk is absolutely absurd. Bunch of f**ked in the head retards out there. Yes, bring in a scrub QB who is lucky to still have a job in the NFL, all because he has some former connection to Harbaugh but hasn't really proven s**t his whole time in the NFL. Josh Johnson has been nothing short of atrocious, at some point people really need to pull their heads out of their posteriors and stop with this blind hatred of Alex Smith. He's not Drew Brees, he's not Aaron Rodgers, he never will be....but he's also a lot better than a lot of the quarterbacks in the NFL and a full offseason in this system will only further help enhance his performance.

The idea that somehow you can just "plug and play" a random QB to replace Alex is moronic. They tried that with Troy Smith, didn't work out. They tried it with David Carr, didn't work out. Just because Harbaugh's system is more QB friendly doesn't mean a scrub will all of a sudden play as well as Alex did. John Johnson isn't getting the 49ers down the field against the Saints, that is for damn sure, or making some of the smart plays that Alex makes that fans seems to never give him credit for, like throwing the ball away rather than forcing it, running with the ball, making good smart decisions to keep the chains moving. The guy doesn't nearly get enough credit for the s**t he does well, everyone loves to hone in on his mistakes while ignoring the things he does well, and he did plenty well this past season, why people all of a sudden want to jump ship is beyond me.

He played with a garbage receiving corps, with a lost in the sauce VD for the first half of the season, by his own admission he didn't pick up the offense very quickly, then the receiving corps further deteriorated due to injury and they were just bringing in random guys off the street and hoping they could make plays. The s**t has gone way too far, people need to get a grip.

I agree but you're about to get flamed bro.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

I agree but you're about to get flamed bro.

Naw. He is defending Alex Smith, so its ok with the mods. You wont see them on here for that. Alex Smith was trash for 6 years and was made into a game managing QB and all of the sudden he is the next Tom Brady to some. Once again nobody can name a team that had his stats that made it far WITHOUT a dominating defense. Johnson can't be that though for some odd reason even though he knows Harbaugh's offense. Nobody said he was a great QB. He is cheaper to sign. He is UFA, so we would owe Tampa nothing.

CK is an unknown, but he has the right attitude. Sounds like he is going to push himself to be able to cause a stir. He may not do that at all. Still good to have the right attitude approaching the game of football. 49ers need to still have a solid backup in case Smith pulls the ol Collins or Chandler second season routine or gets hurt.

It's kind of retarded to give a game manager QB 10 million a season IMO. Ask the Titans if you don't believe me.
[ Edited by 305Niner on Feb 12, 2012 at 5:28 PM ]