LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 234 users in the forums

If we can only keep 2...

Shop Find 49ers gear online

If we can only keep 2...

Rogers/Smith

I think Rogers 4-5 yr deal nice up front money, back side incentive laden. Smith 2-3 yr deal tell him he will get chance to cash in at 30 nice 5 yr retire contract.

Now I like Goldson but I think he plays way to wreakless.... constantly thrashing our guys. With that said I would welcome him back with a fair deal, but would not at all over-pay..wants big money we franchise him .. Draft a ballhawk at 30 to watch/take over.....
[ Edited by SandSlingin49er on Jan 30, 2012 at 8:14 PM ]
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by 12b6demurrer:
Alex Smith and Goldson. Carlos Rogers had a great year and he's a good player, but we have people in the wings who can play.

Kaepernick is not ready and the drop off in quality between Alex/Kap versus Brown+Rogers/Brown+Culliver isn't as big.

Disagree. We have people waiting in the wings, but the drop off would be a bit much at CB. If we went with Smith and Rogers, we have Culliver who was All-SEC as a Safety. Beside, Safeties are easier to find than a good CB.

So with that said, Smith and Rogers.

Safeties are not easier to find than good CBs. Safety is one of the hardest positions to train and unlike CBs, you can't just plug and play a good safety. Good CBs hit the FA market much more often than good safeties.
Okay forget about Alex.

Ask yourself this. How did we get those 13 wins? better offense or defense. I don't want to be the West Coast Ravens but the Defense
is what made this team 13-3.
Originally posted by gavindirishmen:
Okay forget about Alex.

Ask yourself this. How did we get those 13 wins? better offense or defense. I don't want to be the West Coast Ravens but the Defense
is what made this team 13-3.

LOL. Kaep would go 3 - 13. He's not NFL ready. And taking care of the football IS GREAT! Ask Phillip Rivers and the Chargers.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
I'd sign Alex twice.
Originally posted by crabman82:
Originally posted by 49ersRealist:
GOD YOU GUYS ARE SO ST****!!!! You want to let your starting QB who got us 13 wins, 6 COMEBACK VICTORIES, Beat the Saints on his own in the 4th, Led the 49ers to fewest turnovers in NFL HISTORY go so you can have a flanky, 2nd year backup with no experience play? Just cause your excited to see him, this is why people laugh at Niners fans, your ridiculous. Now that we lost, your hopping off the Alex Bandwagon and want Collin Kapernot. Ridiculous man, its saddening to see so many people that know nothing about football.

if your not an alex guy, you'd admit he had a decent to good season, but deep down most of non-alex guys want to move on, its just the way it is

Agreed. It won't matter what Smith will ever do. One bad game, and they'll come back out of the woods.
For me it's Alex and Rogers. I'm hesitant to give Goldson big money.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by crabman82:
GOD YOU GUYS ARE SO ST****!!!! You want to let your starting QB who got us 13 wins, 6 COMEBACK VICTORIES, Beat the Saints on his own in the 4th, Led the 49ers to fewest turnovers in NFL HISTORY go so you can have a flanky, 2nd year backup with no experience play? Just cause your excited to see him, this is why people laugh at Niners fans, your ridiculous. Now that we lost, your hopping off the Alex Bandwagon and want Collin Kapernot. Ridiculous man, its saddening to see so many people that know nothing about football.

if your not an alex guy, you'd admit he had a decent to good season, but deep down most of non-alex guys want to move on, its just the way it is

Agreed. It won't matter what Smith will ever do. One bad game, and they'll come back out of the woods.

He actually played good all year. And tremendous in the N.O. playoff game. The reason we won. That's enough to bring him back and allow him 2 years in the system.

1) Why?
2) CB's get old pretty fast. Rogers will be 31. Goldson is 27. Big difference there.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

1) Why?
2) CB's get old pretty fast. Rogers will be 31. Goldson is 27. Big difference there.

I suppose it's just the perception that I have of Goldson. For one, I think his play is very hit and miss. I like his aggressiveness, but it does sometimes burn us. Also, he has always been a subpar tackler, although this has improved a little bit this year.

You bring up a good point about age, I didn't think about that.

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

1) Why?

I suppose it's just the perception that I have of Goldson. For one, I think his play is very hit and miss. I like his aggressiveness, but it does sometimes burn us. Also, he has always been a subpar tackler, although this has improved a little bit this year.

You bring up a good point about age, I didn't think about that.

Goldson is a gambler. But that is why he is an interception machine. His turnovers help us keep far in the plus ratio.
Damn, it's pretty close. 38/32/31 percent atm.

this, but not so angry.
Why would we give a QB with NFC Conference Championship experience away to FA? Its a huge step down from Alex for any QBs in the FA market (Mannings done), anyone in the draft or backups in the team.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Alex Smith and Goldson. Carlos Rogers had a great year and he's a good player, but we have people in the wings who can play.

Kaepernick is not ready and the drop off in quality between Alex/Kap versus Brown+Rogers/Brown+Culliver isn't as big.

Disagree. We have people waiting in the wings, but the drop off would be a bit much at CB. If we went with Smith and Rogers, we have Culliver who was All-SEC as a Safety. Beside, Safeties are easier to find than a good CB.

So with that said, Smith and Rogers.

Safeties are not easier to find than good CBs. Safety is one of the hardest positions to train and unlike CBs, you can't just plug and play a good safety. Good CBs hit the FA market much more often than good safeties.

No. The market value of CBs is higher than Safetys for a reason. Goldson wanted too much money last year and the 49ers were willing to let him go.
Share 49ersWebzone